Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove my 2015TTS and a 2016GT3RS back to back.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 10:44 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts
Default Drove my 2015TTS and a 2016GT3RS back to back.

So I had a fun Sunday. Did a 100 mile ride Sunday morning in my 15 TTS. Very happy with this car and the only mod is sharkwerks exhaust. Drove all the way from Hollywood on Sunset to the PCH and then did plenty of canyon runs.

The car is very capable in all respects...the power is intoxicating. Additionally I really like the PCCB but I don't do much tracking with this car. I am a decent driver no expert...but I find the TTS more than capable in the twisty canyons of Malibu. About halfway through the run I meet my friend in his UV RS. I will admit I couldn't stay with him in the canyons. He's a better driver but he was way out in front of me. Only time I could gain was in some long straights.

After second canyon run I took the wheel of the RS. All i can say is HOLY ****!!! I have never driven a street car with this king of incredible grip and also very impressed with the motor. It is really an incredible car and if your going to the track it is a celebration.

Porsche is really on its A game. Going to keep my TTS for now but that 9k howl and grip is truly amazing.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:34 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

I own both too. Very different cars.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:36 AM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

that's how it starts for many. no doubt, the TT is a way faster and more capable car for the street. but the sounds, feel and theater of the GT3 / RS cars are an experience every time.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:43 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Both totally awesome in different ways. I still remember fondly my first test drive in a TT. Jesus that thing was quick.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:48 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

nicer than the 997 4.0?
Old 01-30-2017, 01:03 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 336 Posts

That pretty much nails it. I had a similar reaction first time behind the wheel at PBIR.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:31 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These GT machines are definitely all cracked up to be.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:56 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

GT cars are exciting even on surface streets within the speed limit. The sound and feel on upshifts and downshifts are visceral every time.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:22 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
So I had a fun Sunday. Did a 100 mile ride Sunday morning in my 15 TTS. Very happy with this car and the only mod is sharkwerks exhaust. Drove all the way from Hollywood on Sunset to the PCH and then did plenty of canyon runs.

The car is very capable in all respects...the power is intoxicating. Additionally I really like the PCCB but I don't do much tracking with this car. I am a decent driver no expert...but I find the TTS more than capable in the twisty canyons of Malibu. About halfway through the run I meet my friend in his UV RS. I will admit I couldn't stay with him in the canyons. He's a better driver but he was way out in front of me. Only time I could gain was in some long straights.

After second canyon run I took the wheel of the RS. All i can say is HOLY ****!!! I have never driven a street car with this king of incredible grip and also very impressed with the motor. It is really an incredible car and if your going to the track it is a celebration.

Porsche is really on its A game. Going to keep my TTS for now but that 9k howl and grip is truly amazing.
Great review. What would you pick if you had to choose between TTS and RS, assuming the following:

1. Price is the same (it's pretty close depending on options disregarding markup)
2. You don't need a backseat for any purposes.
3. You don't need AWD (most likely not in CA)
4. You spend 99% of the time driving on the streets and not on the track.

I have read so many reviews and the overwhelming consensus is the GT cars are so amazing and even more so on the track. I have also read many times that if the owner doesn't track their GT car (or doesn't plan to track the Porsche they buy), then the GT is a wasteful as it is not being used for its intended purpose.

Not trying to start another debate between the merits of TTS vs RS as the pros and cons to each are well known and supported.

Just would like to hear "real life" experience for the vast majority of us who just get to drive their Porsche at limited intervals.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:28 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I've drove both back to back and the TTS was just too comfortable for me. Suspension softer, more roll, less fun engine/tranny noises. Reminded me more of why I was trying to get out of my 750hp Audi. A real monster, but didn't get the rest of the stuff that comes along with driving a monster. Just too luxurious, too insulated.

I'm a 2-3 times a year kind of (new) track guy and even if I never went, I'd still want the RS for mountain drives and getting lost in the country every now and then. I don't daily the RS and don't think I'd want to even if I didn't care about miles depreciating the car. If you don't do fun mountain/canyon drives AND don't hit the track occasionally then I'd question why you're even considering the car.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:28 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Honestly I think it comes down to daily driver versus weekend toy. If you want a toy for the weekends, that will be a special event every time out, get the RS. If you are planning on driving it to work every day, TTS. That is how I would distinguish the two.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:32 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
Great review. What would you pick if you had to choose between TTS and RS, assuming the following:

1. Price is the same (it's pretty close depending on options disregarding markup)
2. You don't need a backseat for any purposes.
3. You don't need AWD (most likely not in CA)
4. You spend 99% of the time driving on the streets and not on the track.

I have read so many reviews and the overwhelming consensus is the GT cars are so amazing and even more so on the track. I have also read many times that if the owner doesn't track their GT car (or doesn't plan to track the Porsche they buy), then the GT is a wasteful as it is not being used for its intended purpose.

Not trying to start another debate between the merits of TTS vs RS as the pros and cons to each are well known and supported.

Just would like to hear "real life" experience for the vast majority of us who just get to drive their Porsche at limited intervals.
If daily - Turbo. If special occasion driving - RS.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:46 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
This would be my exact response.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:53 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tonymission
I've drove both back to back and the TTS was just too comfortable for me. Suspension softer, more roll, less fun engine/tranny noises. Reminded me more of why I was trying to get out of my 750hp Audi. A real monster, but didn't get the rest of the stuff that comes along with driving a monster. Just too luxurious, too insulated.

I'm a 2-3 times a year kind of (new) track guy and even if I never went, I'd still want the RS for mountain drives and getting lost in the country every now and then. I don't daily the RS and don't think I'd want to even if I didn't care about miles depreciating the car. If you don't do fun mountain/canyon drives AND don't hit the track occasionally then I'd question why you're even considering the car.
Makes perfect sense and your situation appears to be similar to mine.

Although, I'm also the nut who likes polishing a car for 12 hrs then pouring a monster scotch and staring at the car in the garage afterwards.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:00 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robmypro
Honestly I think it comes down to daily driver versus weekend toy. If you want a toy for the weekends, that will be a special event every time out, get the RS. If you are planning on driving it to work every day, TTS. That is how I would distinguish the two.
Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Thank you both for your precise response. It will not be a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Drove my 2015TTS and a 2016GT3RS back to back.