Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will your order your 991.2 GT3 with PDK-S or 6-speed manual transmission?
PDK-S
47.97%
6-speed manual
52.03%
Voters: 444. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: 991.2 GT3 - PDK or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 05:26 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
You will miss Manual. Get PDK if you like to go to Starbucks and you do not want to spill coffee in you car
Or, per AP, if you want to put half a car length between you and the manual GT3 next to you each time you shift...

So there's that.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:36 PM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Flappy paddles are for...
Old 01-24-2017, 05:39 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Why do mods even allow this topic to be discussed--talk about the most subjective decision ever. Everyone knows in their own heart what they want.

If someone doesn't have years driving stick then they won't enjoy that option. And only the crazy ones try to argue there is some kind of performance advantage anymore. And if someone can't decide, I push them toward PDK. You only choose it for love, not logic. Same as deciding to marry that girl or not.

I predict actual builds with manual will be the exact same percentage as any other 911 that still has the option--low.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:01 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Thing about PDK is that, while many are initially skeptical about it (as I was), after driving the car for a while (hundreds of miles), nearly all become lazy. Unfortunately, those who don't have the opportunity to give PDK a real chance usually don't appreciate what they're missing...unless you have and realized manual is better
Fixed.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:08 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Why do mods even allow this topic to be discussed--talk about the most subjective decision ever. Everyone knows in their own heart what they want.
Why not...

If someone doesn't have years driving stick then they won't enjoy that option.
Terrible conclusion and generalization!
Nobody is trying to argue there is some kind of performance advantage.
And if someone can't decide, I push them toward manual. You only choose it for fun.
Yep.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry, look I was even doing what I said we shouldn't. I should have qualified that statement. I just recall some friends over the years who were pushed to get a manual in the sake of being a purist, but it wasn't a good fit for them for various reasons. That is why I hate seeing people push hard for manuals. It's worse to end up with a manual if you wanted PDK than the other way around. (in my opinion)
Old 01-24-2017, 06:30 PM
theplanner
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, look I was even doing what I said we shouldn't. I should have qualified that statement. I just recall some friends over the years who were pushed to get a manual in the sake of being a purist, but it wasn't a good fit for them for various reasons. That is why I hate seeing people push hard for manuals. It's worse to end up with a manual if you wanted PDK than the other way around. (in my opinion)
Agree with you statement, anyone who wants a manual have already made up their minds and knows they will loose a bit of performance over the pdks. But heck the joy of rowing ur own gears outweighs any loss in performance.

Those who r undecided should stick with pdk. Reality is if they bought a manual they probably regret it because it was slower then their friends pdk Gt3, but if they bought a pdk, they probably wish they bought a manual....lol...either way u r fortunate enough to own a .2 GT3 whilst many others can only dream of owning one.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:38 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Sorry,I was just having a bit of fun...

Perhaps the notion of " purist " is overrated at this point...just as someone would think a manual transmission makes one a purist,in the same time you will get laughed at by the aircooled guys and so on... I certainly hope nobody would get pressured to choose one transmission over the other on the account of being a " purist " or not...

Please make your own choices regardless of lines you read on a public forum. I certainly do!

Good luck!
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2017, 07:41 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Fixed.
Please tell us how many miles you've driven a 991 GT3 or RS, and how many of those miles were track miles?

My perspective isn't based on assumptions or dipping my toes in the water, it's based on lots of road and track miles in both manual and PDK Porsches (and I currently have three of the manual, one of the PDK).
Old 01-24-2017, 07:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Please tell us how many miles you've driven a 991 GT3 or RS, and how many of those miles were track miles?

My perspective isn't based on assumptions or dipping my toes in the water, it's based on lots of road and track miles in both manual and PDK Porsches (and I currently have three of the manual, one of the PDK).
Not as many as you,of course. But I have driven a 991 GT3 on the track and road and while it is fine on the track(because I'm not the best driver and it helps a lot on the track),it is a bit uninvolving(because I don't want to use harsh words) on the street.

I know your posts very well(like the back of my hand) and I know your perspective. You are very much entitled to your opinion,just as I'm entitled to mine.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:06 PM
scb997
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've put about 44,000 miles on my 991.1 GT3 as a daily driver and as an autocrosser. This was my first non-manual car since I got out of college (1982). I spent the first 2 years missing the manual - both commuting and on weekend drives in the country. When autocrossing, I liked the PDK. I'd been saying that I would certainly opt for the 6-speed.

But, in the last six months, I stopped missing the stick while commuting and don't even miss it on weekend drives. So, if I got a build slot today, it would be PDK-S (which is how I voted). But, I'm 5th on my dealer's GT3 list. So, I have nearly 2 more years to change my mind a few times

Scott
Old 01-24-2017, 09:07 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Not as many as you,of course. But I have driven a 991 GT3 on the track and road and while it is fine on the track(because I'm not the best driver and it helps a lot on the track),it is a bit uninvolving(because I don't want to use harsh words) on the street.

I know your posts very well(like the back of my hand) and I know your perspective. You are very much entitled to your opinion,just as I'm entitled to mine.
So, if I may ask, specifically how many miles road and track in the GT3? I have 23,000 miles on my GT3, about 7,000 of which are on track.

This car is something special, and distinctly different from any Porsche which came before. One has to spend some real time with it to properly understand and appreciate it. Porsche wasn't dumb when they decided to offer it only with PDK.

Also, impressions of a car on track are of limited value if a driver doesn't have enough track experience to approach the limits of a car (within a few seconds of a pro). This GT3 particularly is a car which gets much better and more exhilarating as you approach its limits, and PDK is part of that experience; on track at 7/10ths, the car is bored, and so the driver is liable to become bored also.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:39 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

PDK all the way
Old 01-24-2017, 09:41 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

So, if I may ask, specifically how many miles road and track in the GT3? I have 23,000 miles on my GT3, about 7,000 of which are on track.

This car is something special, and distinctly different from any Porsche which came before. One has to spend some real time with it to properly understand and appreciate it. Porsche wasn't dumb when they decided to offer it only with PDK.

Also, impressions of a car on track are of limited value if a driver doesn't have enough track experience to approach the limits of a car (within a few seconds of a pro). This GT3 particularly is a car which gets much better and more exhilarating as you approach its limits, and PDK is part of that experience; on track at 7/10ths, the car is bored, and so the driver is liable to become bored also.
Manifold,sure we can spend some time splitting hairs : how many miles can one accumulate driving someone else's car a couple of times on the road and another on the track? 20-30 miles... I understand where you're coming from and the 991 GT3 is a great car! I'd rent one for a week and flog it on the road and track,but I wouldn't spend my hard earned money on it because this transmission doesn't suit me. And that's just my opinion...I could spend many more miles with the car and it wouldn't change.

Regarding your second point :
I have never claimed to be a great driver,a little modesty never hurt anyone. But I have a feeling there are many others like me...dare I say the majority(?)...who can't extract the last seconds. Or perhaps are not interested in doing so...and please don't send us to buy a GTS or a Cayman R. Those are great cars,but the GT cars are special. Many people love these cars without being racers. So having a choice is a very good thing. I'll bet you money the manual in this new car will be EPIC! You should at least try it after it's out and tell us what you think.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:00 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Or, per AP, if you want to put half a car length between you and the manual GT3 next to you each time you shift...

So there's that.
Zactly.

As has been pointed out I think the RL community tends to have more "purists" than the general population that will be ordering this car.

I have to say that the PDK/S in the GT3/RS is very engaging and entertaining to drive. The upshifts are sequentially wicked quick. The exhaust note augments the experience. Downshifts are just as amazing and instantaneous as are the sounds on downshift. There is no way the potential of these cars can be reached or approached with three pedals. No way. None. Nadda. Zip. 0. The car is just too fast.

Mt is engaging and allows you to hone your shifting skills, rev matching/heel toeing. True. However, its antiquated especially for track times.

To spend $170K+ on a new .2 GT3 with the new 4.0L and the battery of other "improvements" which is designed to run with other cutting edge competition and then specing a 3 pedal is not far removed from taking the MPSC2s and opting to spec hypothetical old fashion Goodyear bias ply race tires. You could definitely increase your driving challenge with those puppies.

Don't get me wrong. I love mt cars. I own a number of them including my '12 Boss 302 Trans Am TA3. However, my goal is not absolute the fastest track times compared to other but improving my 3 pedal driving technique and my personal best in that car which is raw and analog. It is not cutting edge and makes no pretense of being such and was built to run with other Fred Flintstone racers.

Ford is apparently making DCT available as an optoin for future GT350's. Hmmm. Wonder why? Are the Stang boys crying for a DCT.

Seems like the grass is always greener...

Quick Reply: Poll: 991.2 GT3 - PDK or Manual?