Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will your order your 991.2 GT3 with PDK-S or 6-speed manual transmission?
PDK-S
47.97%
6-speed manual
52.03%
Voters: 444. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: 991.2 GT3 - PDK or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 12:57 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
389 have voted.. Will we see that many .2 GT3 owners on RL?
Good question, not sure how big the RL group is visiting this Forum? Would be interesting to know a number? Anybody hazard to guess?
Old 03-15-2017, 01:35 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

^These forum polls require a tonne of salt..
Old 03-15-2017, 02:11 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Manual for sure!

I have a 2016 RS in my garage right now and I miss the control of the timing and degree of clutch engagement and disengagement every time. I am not racing for money, so it's all about the involvement and enjoyment of the car for me.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:09 PM
esse10229
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have owned a PDK 981S before, and now a GT4. Here are some of my thoughts
For track use:
PDK would definitely gives you faster lap time. In case of engagement, I don't think a car with PDK is less satisfying (at least in my case). The way I am thinking this: the focus/attention (engagement) I spend (get) doing manual shift. I can as well use that to feel other parts of the car, try to push more and explore other aspects of the car. I can't squeeze 100% from a GT car (I think this is the case for most of the folks), that means instead of doing manual shift, there is always something else I can spend the time on to get that extra "engagement".

On public road:
I do agree a manual would be more fun on the road. However, I don't enjoy the ride quality of my GT4 on public road in California at all. In fact, I think my GTI gives me more smiles on public roads. Maybe, for places with better road it is a option.

So for me, PDK is the one to have.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:04 AM
BCMgunner
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

This will be my only sports car and I do work hard as well. Well, not as hard as in residency and fellowship, that sucked!

But "its not the seconds in the day, it's how we use them", right?

The MT Ignition episode on the R borders on the erotic. In my wildest dreams I couldn't get an R. I am fortunate enough to have a September build .2 allocation, so I'm going as close to a 911R as I can. Manual/LWB/PCCB. No other frill.

With the reduction in sound insulation it may be "closer to the real thing" than people might think. Well, then there is also the 9k redline and midrange torque, but that's a plus!

Last edited by BCMgunner; 04-28-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:48 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a repost from another thread:

Just to give you guys some statistics.

Now that Manual option is open, I've been seeing a lot of confirmed V200 allocation builds.

Out of 17 allocations with V200 I've seen, 6 are ordered in PDK and 11 ordered in MT.

And no these are not selective allocations for target group like RL members etc. These are what a few dealers got and all their submitted ones.

That's more concrete numbers, but to add as a ball park estimation, about 70% of people who call asking about .2 GT3 allocation are requesting for MT transmission, whether they go the allocation or not, but it sort of reflects the confirmed V200 numbers.

Again, these are early on numbers with small sample size so it doesn't mean everything. A lot of the PDK orders are actually early builds that had no choice but to get PDK. On the other hand, more people who calling to get a car over half year before the car gets here are more enthusiasts, and many enthusiast have a higher tendency of choosing MT. So it goes both ways. Only time will tell.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:26 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by BCMgunner
This will be my only sports car and I do work hard as well. Well, not as hard as in residency and fellowship, that sucked!

But "its not the seconds in the day, it's how we use them", right?

The MT Ignition episode on the R boarders on the erotic. In my wildest dreams I couldn't get an R. I am fortunate enough to have a September build .2 allocation, so I'm going as close to a 911R as I can. Manual/LWB/PCCB. No other frill.

With the reduction in sound insulation it may be "closer to the real thing" than people might think. Well, then there is also the 9k redline and midrange torque, but that's a plus!
Don't put the R on a pedestal.. it's a perfect 911, in the sense that it offers all the tactical engagement that you would want. But I think your upcoming GT3.2 is going to offer almost exactly the same experience, but with an even stronger engine. It may not look quite as unique.. but you can have fun and modify it to look any way you want.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:38 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul

Now that Manual option is open, I've been seeing a lot of confirmed V200 allocation builds.

Out of 17 allocations with V200 I've seen, 6 are ordered in PDK and 11 ordered in MT.

And no these are not selective allocations for target group like RL members etc. These are what a few dealers got and all their submitted ones.

That's more concrete numbers, but to add as a ball park estimation, about 70% of people who call asking about .2 GT3 allocation are requesting for MT transmission, whether they go the allocation or not, but it sort of reflects the confirmed V200 numbers.

Again, these are early on numbers with small sample size so it doesn't mean everything. A lot of the PDK orders are actually early builds that had no choice but to get PDK. On the other hand, more people who calling to get a car over half year before the car gets here are more enthusiasts, and many enthusiast have a higher tendency of choosing MT. So it goes both ways. Only time will tell.
Hey,they've proclaimed us " dead " while we were still breathing. LMAO!

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:02 PM
BCMgunner
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Don't put the R on a pedestal.. it's a perfect 911, in the sense that it offers all the tactical engagement that you would want. But I think your upcoming GT3.2 is going to offer almost exactly the same experience, but with an even stronger engine. It may not look quite as unique.. but you can have fun and modify it to look any way you want.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:22 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts
Default Convergence

Old 04-30-2017, 06:52 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by neanicu
Hey,they've proclaimed us " dead " while we were still breathing. LMAO!

Thanks.

Haha yea on this model.... lol. Go to 911 S or 4S I'll pronounce you dead right here and now.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:33 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rumors had said MT will be limited vs PDK S, does this still hold true?
Old 05-01-2017, 03:11 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by bronson7
Rumors had said MT will be limited vs PDK S, does this still hold true?

Nope.

However if Manual Transmission ratio to PDK becomes too big, Porsche may exercise a stop sale for the option for one of two reasons:

1. Shortage of supply of parts related to the manual due to unexpected demand.

2. MT have a much higher emission rate and lower mpg rating for EPA. The car is already getting gas guzzler tax. PAG and PCNA will want to balance back to ratio.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:19 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Nope.

However if Manual Transmission ratio to PDK becomes too big, Porsche may exercise a stop sale for the option for one of two reasons:

1. Shortage of supply of parts related to the manual due to unexpected demand.

2. MT have a much higher emission rate and lower mpg rating for EPA. The car is already getting gas guzzler tax. PAG and PCNA will want to balance back to ratio.
Interesting....I thought that MT would have better gas mileage versus PDK. What makes a MT have a higher emission rate?
Old 05-01-2017, 04:59 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Interesting....I thought that MT would have better gas mileage versus PDK. What makes a MT have a higher emission rate?
Is it the 6th gear ratio of 0.88 of the MT vs 0.84 for the 7th for the PDK?

Quick Reply: Poll: 991.2 GT3 - PDK or Manual?