Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drop Links-Can Someone Explain Why I Need to Upgrade Mine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 04:14 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drop Links-Can Someone Explain Why I Need to Upgrade Mine?

Hey guys, Happy New Year. I'm trying to settle an argument with my friends. I'm getting my 991 GT3 aligned and corner balanced on Monday. The installer told me to change the drop links so I can get a better corner balance. I have a group of friends that I track with who are telling me that the drop links are useless and that it's just a waste of money. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:38 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

When you have it aligned and corner balanced the sway bars will be disconnected. At the end of the process your alignment guy will reconnect the sway bars; at this point he can show you if there is preload in the bar. If the bar has preload the only way to remove the preload is to change the length of the end link, this is done with adjustable end links like the parts from Tarett Engineering (no affiliation).

Sway bar preload causes roll stiffness to be different for left and right turns, a behavior that is not desirable in a street car or road coarse track car.

Ryan
Old 01-12-2017, 07:22 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Two words - CORNER BALANCE
Old 01-13-2017, 05:56 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You only need one adjustable drop link for one sway bar to tune out the preload. Tuning shops always sell these in pairs for some reason..

Quick Reply: Drop Links-Can Someone Explain Why I Need to Upgrade Mine?