McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 12:53 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by NSD991
https://youtu.be/FRi1_827TKQ

Came across this video. The comments posted are interesting and show the experience may not be isolated. I’ve owned 2 McLarens and unfortunately I can understand this mans frustration. I came back to Porsche and Ferrari. McLarens are amazing cars when they work. I’d never own one out of warranty.
I was about to put down a deposit on a 720 spider till I saw this....
Old 03-22-2019, 01:35 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

The problem with that guy (actually his car) is
1. They seem not to be able to fix his car - in the UK nonetheless
2. He has been ignored by McLaren, apparently

Curiously enough, his 570 was trouble free for 18K miles.

As stated above, horror stories are all over. There are plenty of 720 owners quite happy around. That guy was quite out of luck with his car.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:44 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary(SF)
Just bear in mind that an owner of any marque on earth could have made that video. I have two friends that lemoned 488's, one who lost the engine on his new RS in the first 500 miles, and another with a Lambo horror story that would curl your hair. No manufacturer is immune to this.
May be true but I can tell you- Been thru the 2014 .1 GT3 fire engine swap, in the beginning, and despite feeling PCNA could be more communicative; they still took care of me and did not leave me hanging.

I do not let one video sway me but very disappointing and probably the reason i do not own a McLaren.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:26 AM
NSD991
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 112 Posts

Just my experience.... I purchased 2 new McLarens. After paying this level of money I was left beyond disappointed with the continued problems. I have 3 friends that as well have owned these cars and had continued problems forcing them to leave the brand. Between the 4 of us we have had 7 McLarens. Only 1 of the 7 cars had minor issues, the rest were cars that we just cut our losses. To add insult to injury when you finally do get rid of the car its worth MUCH less than you paid for it.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:29 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 921 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary(SF)
Just bear in mind that an owner of any marque on earth could have made that video. I have two friends that lemoned 488's, one who lost the engine on his new RS in the first 500 miles, and another with a Lambo horror story that would curl your hair. No manufacturer is immune to this.
every brand can have issues, no one is debating that , but the percentage of people having trouble with Mclaren products seem much higher than other brands .. I mentioned in another thread that i have several friends with Mclaren cars across the lineup , and they all had significant problems .. You can argue that this is not objective/science based data, but there is a very strong signal out there and some including myself chose to avoid these cars at present time , and we all hope that Mclaren get all these issues sorted out before they lose their fan base
one disappointing thing with Mclaren, is that the company seem to be focused on releasing a lot of products over the next several years , rather than focus on improving reliability and quality
i would rather have few reliable/quality products rather than many unreliable products
if you watch programs about restaurant failure and redo, one common thread to restaurants that fail is a big menu and the redo always focus on smaller number of options that are done well
Old 03-22-2019, 08:41 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The coupe and spider share the tub, engine,
Suspension, and majority of the bodywork. It's not like a GT2RS and a speedster which have differing suspension, windshield profile etc
The windshield is different on the GT2 from the GT3? Interested I didn’t know that.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:40 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by zmangt3
I think so much depends on the servicing dealer. These stories are never good but they are there with Porsche as well as we all know. My hope is my dealer (McLaren of Scottsdale) will be on top of anything if and when they arise. I have had good luck with Porsche but I have a few buddies that would never buy one again. All manufacturers have issues but again I think a good dealer can soften the inconvenience.
My local dealerships are totally useless, so I've just moved on from McLaren until I move. I couldn't even get that guys that did the $2500 service to update Carfax which they forgot to do after I got out of the car. They also can't keep salespeople for more than a month or 2. Just don't want to risk owning one with problems as I know I will be ****ed.

Had plenty of Porsche problems but PCNA and my dealer have always been great.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:40 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

It’s dissapointing that the gentleman in the video is having issues. I can only share my real world data which I have done before. My circle of friends now with Mclarens has grown to 7. Have other friends that have other various cars from aventador, performante, Aston, Porsche. I have the lone Ferrari in the group. Some friends own multiple cars.

of the Mclaren owners- I have 5 friends with 720 and one 600lt and another 570 owner ranging in ownership from about 15 months to 2 months. Not a single person has anything wrong with their cars and no repairs to speak of other than a few have had routine service. One friend had an alarm go off randomly a couple of times but no mechanical issues to speak of.

When people post problems, it would be helpful to know which cars had problems. The 12c cars had lots of electrical issues. The newer ones seem to be fairly normal and routine in terms of problems they encounter.

Of of course you will have the occasional random car such as the video but in my area, the Mclaren owners seem to be growing in our area, not getting smaller.

and the comment about Mclaren building too many cars- let’s see-

super series you had the 12c which was replaced by the face lifted 650 and that went on till 2016- essentially the same car. They had a LT and LT spider which finished out that model series.

This is was replaced by the 720 which will go from 2018 to 2022 model year.

The sport series had the 570 variations which will have had a 5 year run and then replaced by a new model.

you have the super limited edition senna and speedtails but these aren’t accessible by mere mortals.

compare that to Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari- not much difference in the model variations these companies pump out.

Try the Mclarens- it’s a next world level of performance and experience compared to some other cars. And if you are worried about depreciation, buy a slightly used one.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:46 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Here is an interesting article from a 7 time Mclaren owner- basically echoes what I wrote- early 12c models had a few issues. More recent cars no problems.

https://karenable.com/mclarens-reliability/
Old 03-22-2019, 09:54 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums

The windshield is different on the GT2 from the GT3? Interested I didn’t know that.
He was saying GT2 RS vs Speedster have different windshields. Speedster uses a cut down windshield to match the low-profile top.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:14 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
He was saying GT2 RS vs Speedster have different windshields. Speedster uses a cut down windshield to match the low-profile top.
Thank you for backup
Old 03-22-2019, 11:13 AM
zmangt3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
It’s dissapointing that the gentleman in the video is having issues. I can only share my real world data which I have done before. My circle of friends now with Mclarens has grown to 7. Have other friends that have other various cars from aventador, performante, Aston, Porsche. I have the lone Ferrari in the group. Some friends own multiple cars.

of the Mclaren owners- I have 5 friends with 720 and one 600lt and another 570 owner ranging in ownership from about 15 months to 2 months. Not a single person has anything wrong with their cars and no repairs to speak of other than a few have had routine service. One friend had an alarm go off randomly a couple of times but no mechanical issues to speak of.

When people post problems, it would be helpful to know which cars had problems. The 12c cars had lots of electrical issues. The newer ones seem to be fairly normal and routine in terms of problems they encounter.

Of of course you will have the occasional random car such as the video but in my area, the Mclaren owners seem to be growing in our area, not getting smaller.

and the comment about Mclaren building too many cars- let’s see-

super series you had the 12c which was replaced by the face lifted 650 and that went on till 2016- essentially the same car. They had a LT and LT spider which finished out that model series.

This is was replaced by the 720 which will go from 2018 to 2022 model year.

The sport series had the 570 variations which will have had a 5 year run and then replaced by a new model.

you have the super limited edition senna and speedtails but these aren’t accessible by mere mortals.

compare that to Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari- not much difference in the model variations these companies pump out.

Try the Mclarens- it’s a next world level of performance and experience compared to some other cars. And if you are worried about depreciation, buy a slightly used one.

Great post.

We all can search and find videos of unhappy customers posting about their Porsche, Bmw or any other brand. I have been on the McLaren forum for years and track it closely as I knew I was ready for a change. If these problems were widespread you would see them popping up on the forums as we do here when guys have issues. There are a few minor items you see posted but not many at all. I think McLaren has a great story and has created some great competition among the manufactures.
In the end we all have to buy where we feel comfortable.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:28 PM
carrera911me
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NSD991
https://youtu.be/FRi1_827TKQ

Came across this video. The comments posted are interesting and show the experience may not be isolated. I’ve owned 2 McLarens and unfortunately I can understand this mans frustration. I came back to Porsche and Ferrari. McLarens are amazing cars when they work. I’d never own one out of warranty.
theres an update to this video. McLaren bought the car back and settled with the owner. A good step forward.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:42 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by carrera911me
theres an update to this video. McLaren bought the car back and settled with the owner. A good step forward.
After all that it’s a good step forward? Not in my book. It would have been a good step forward a long time ago without all the effort and fuss.

Macs don’t have a good reputation and stories like this have me crossing them off my list. Do you think the average owner without the following of this guy would fair better than him before he made an internet stink?

Stories like this that seem to predominate and other factors explains Macs implosive resale values.

Other marks have issues no doubt but not as seemingly constant and pervasive. PAG stands behind there products. It seems Mac has to be shamed into doing so.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:07 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

The absolute fiercest fighting I have seen from a manufacturer battling with the owner of a problem car has come from Ferrari - twice. Vicious battles that ended up in court. They lost both times. Not hearing very good things about Porsche in the current shock tower fragility, either. For my part, about three years into 570S ownership, the car is the best I have ever owned (comparing to my Ferrari, Lotus, and Porsche total ownership experiences), and McLaren SF is the best dealer I have ever worked with. Obviously YMMV.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success