Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 10:22 AM
Jim50
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Thank you- glad the test drive was good. We did have one guy recently who buzzed a group of cyclists down the street and got in trouble!

The 600LT is an awesome car- and a Senna is both awesome and incredibly weird but incredibly expensive. I think a lot of reviewers are simply blown away with the feel and dynamics of McLaren's latest track rat. Some people like the Gt3RS over the GT2RS for the same reason:

Once you get above a certain HP level or dynamic ability of the car...some of the fun dissolves and the stress and pressure of a hypercar like a 918/P1/LaF/Senna/ etc eats into the fun/playful element of driving.

Cars like that are so capable and so fast that you have to take a serious approach to it or risk totalling the car.

The viper/performante/Gt3/3RS/ 675/ pista/ 600LT/720/Gt2RS are the equivalent fastest 'fun' cars you can drive and get familiar with limits...anything above that level requires such insane commitment to corner entry speed, yaw, deep braking etc that it's mentally taxing. And after driving the Gt2RS (on track)I feel like it's not as fun as it is ludicrous. It's borderline unfun due to terminal velocity and grip. I can hop straight into a 600LT or 3RS and get to my 10/10ths limit for the day within a few minutes. 720/GT2 require WAY more throttle discipline.

Even guys like chris harris do not want to bin / bend/ twerk a hypercar. They don't feel so bad about roasting brakes and tires on a GT3, and performance is much more accessible.
CJ, I have a 600LT on order at the new Charlotte dealership. I have owned several Porsches and was in the market for my first exotic at the same time this dealership started in December. I was their first 600LT customer order. I speced the car and gave them a deposit. I was told delivery might be delayed because there was a particular MSO option I wanted. Even in December I was discouraged from ordering with MSO due to the expected delay. I am told it is scheduled for week 19 production. I have no reason not to trust this new dealer, but I still have no documentation from them other than the options list that they printed at the time of the order. What type of documentation is typical for a McLaren (or any exotic for that matter) customer order? I read about lots of Porsche customers giving dealers deposits but never getting the car. I don't want that to happen to me. Any advice?
Old 03-02-2019, 12:58 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim50
CJ, I have a 600LT on order at the new Charlotte dealership. I have owned several Porsches and was in the market for my first exotic at the same time this dealership started in December. I was their first 600LT customer order. I speced the car and gave them a deposit. I was told delivery might be delayed because there was a particular MSO option I wanted. Even in December I was discouraged from ordering with MSO due to the expected delay. I am told it is scheduled for week 19 production. I have no reason not to trust this new dealer, but I still have no documentation from them other than the options list that they printed at the time of the order. What type of documentation is typical for a McLaren (or any exotic for that matter) customer order? I read about lots of Porsche customers giving dealers deposits but never getting the car. I don't want that to happen to me. Any advice?

You should be totally fine, and there isn't much at all short of a build sheet, and MSO options can take FOREVER depending on how busy the shop is, especially given they've been busy with Senna's. More important...whats your spec like???
Old 03-02-2019, 08:26 PM
.dee
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just got an update, my 600lt is on the boat, should be one of the first delivered here (other than demo cars...)
Old 03-02-2019, 09:04 PM
anselmw
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim50
I didn't even know they had a dealership, good that they finally opened one. This was one of the reasons I stayed with Porsche instead of getting a Mclaren, was worried about where to get the car serviced. Will have to pay them a visit. For your 600LT, I thought they had only a limited number of allocations, don't see anything online to build the car so assume you need to do this at the dealership?
Old 03-02-2019, 10:56 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by anselmw
I didn't even know they had a dealership, good that they finally opened one. This was one of the reasons I stayed with Porsche instead of getting a Mclaren, was worried about where to get the car serviced. Will have to pay them a visit. For your 600LT, I thought they had only a limited number of allocations, don't see anything online to build the car so assume you need to do this at the dealership?
http://configurator.mclaren.com/mode...555.1551581728
Old 03-02-2019, 11:16 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but coupe allocations are gone. Only 600lt spider allocations remain.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:30 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

I checked with McLaren SF a few weeks ago and could order one if I wanted. There are also a handful sitting in dealer showrooms unsold.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:45 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redyps
I checked with McLaren SF a few weeks ago and could order one if I wanted. There are also a handful sitting in dealer showrooms unsold.
Yes I knew dealers had some stock sitting but didn’t realize that they were still taking orders for the coupe. Thought it was only spiders. I stand corrected. Ty
Old 03-03-2019, 01:13 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

There are no coupes to be ordered.Only spiders at this time.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:29 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

There was definitely a rumor circulating on McLaren Life that coupes were done. That is why I checked with McLaren SF and they said no not true. Caveat, that was 2 weeks ago. Coupes are still coming in. Overlap with spider is typical.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:31 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

So coupes are definitely coming in as they were ordered a few months ago but I had understood it same as Bill in that you couldn’t put in a new order. Maybe C.J. can chime in and clarify.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:45 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
So coupes are definitely coming in as they were ordered a few months ago but I had understood it same as Bill in that you couldn’t put in a new order. Maybe C.J. can chime in and clarify.
Have you actually tried ordering one?
Old 03-03-2019, 03:23 AM
Frank 991 GT3 RS
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

In Europa you can definitely still order a coupe. Right now they only produce spider, but will start with coupes in a couple of month. This info comes from the largest dealership in Germany. I speced the 600LT coupe there three days ago.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:44 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 991 GT3 RS
In Europa you can definitely still order a coupe. Right now they only produce spider, but will start with coupes in a couple of month. This info comes from the largest dealership in Germany. I speced the 600LT coupe there three days ago.
Did you spec the power adjust steering column? For me, I think that is a must have option. The cockpit is not as easy as a 911 to get in and out of. The power adjust steering column automatically retracts when you open the door. This would be a huge advantage if you order the Senna seats. IMHO.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:00 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,953 Likes on 555 Posts

Hey guys sorry took a few days off the thread- track weekend with our customers. I'm driving the new GT4 race car.

Jim- they have a portal and should be updating you. They are new. They need to get up to speed on the computer portal. MSO does increase time of build since MSO is done at separate facility just like porsche exclusive. Car is built, THEN mso does it's thing. Paint stripes, weird interior etc take a while. I have visited the MSO shop in UK 5 times or so, they are not their own factory.

Sam- any coupe at this point would be special order and would take away from our spider allocations. Having driven the spider (and having owned the 675LT coupe and spider) the coupe is only 'better' if you want the roll bar or roof scoop, or a lower msrp. The spider is amazing.

We will have cars being built for a long time as MSO Delays some builds completely by 90-120 days in the order bank. So we try to schedule them first in line, then the more straightforward builds and then most of the cars show up at the same time give or take. But we are getting 2-3 cars a month as part of our dealerships flow of allocated cars.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success