Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 02:05 AM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by obbob
I always look to the exotic rental companies as the best data points for reliability comparison. Even the ultra wealthy owners that can afford fleets full of exotics from every marque, is ultimately only 1 person. If he only puts a few hundred miles on each car, is it really the best comparison of reliability?

Exotic car rental companies have fleets of cars, often times have multiple of the same car (helps reduce effect of statistical outliers), and their cars rack up insane miles with drivers that abuse them. From all the owners I've talked to, they all universally said Ferrari and Porsche were their most reliable cars. Lamborghini Huracans are also extremely reliable, but that's it for Lambos. They all universally said that their McLaren cars have the most problems.

Royalty Exotic cars in Las Vegas has a Huracan that has 150K+ miles on it now. They said it's never given them any major problems, along with all their other Huracans. They also had a 488 Spider that got to 95K miles without major problems. Their GT3 RS has about 60K miles and had to do an engine swap (which Porsche covered under warranty surprisingly), but no other problems there. Contrast that to their McLaren, they currently have 4 of them, all with under 40K miles, and often times 2 of them are down and unable to be rented.
Yeah; let's check reliability on how the typical car's are NOT used.

Or

I can give you my opinion; f12, scud, speciale, sv coupe, sv roadster, scud, speciale, a bunch of porsche's (including gt3rs) and a bunch of mclarens including 675's and 720's.

I posted earlier in this thread the information from NHTSA.gov of recall/manufacture communications which just about everyone here seemed to conveniently overlook or had no comment (real data, not someone said this, someone said that, etc.).

All these cars have pro's and con's. Mac's are the most fun for how I use them (hard track driving). Best all around exotic for how the typical exotic car owners wants to use a car is an F12 and 720.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:11 AM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker
ask a FF/Lusso owner if you want to know what real joy is.
or about which car those owner prefer most - and with which car he had the most fun/pleasure/emotions with.
will he say the FF/Lusso where he "invested" 100k or will he say a 7 Series, A8, Cayenne, Panamera, etc. where he lost in the same time maybe 50k in comparison.

but that's a McLaren thread.

i like also "up to speed"
the guy is crazy but funny
and they deliver always also some facts.

V12 F-car that can seat 4 and tackle the ski slopes fills a unique niche but there's Pista owners out there that paid an effective $100K ADM with their Lusso to jump in line. One Texas owner had his Lusso for less than a week IIRC.

Originally Posted by obbob
I always look to the exotic rental companies as the best data points for reliability comparison. Even the ultra wealthy owners that can afford fleets full of exotics from every marque, is ultimately only 1 person. If he only puts a few hundred miles on each car, is it really the best comparison of reliability?

Exotic car rental companies have fleets of cars, often times have multiple of the same car (helps reduce effect of statistical outliers), and their cars rack up insane miles with drivers that abuse them. From all the owners I've talked to, they all universally said Ferrari and Porsche were their most reliable cars. Lamborghini Huracans are also extremely reliable, but that's it for Lambos. They all universally said that their McLaren cars have the most problems.

Royalty Exotic cars in Las Vegas has a Huracan that has 150K+ miles on it now. They said it's never given them any major problems, along with all their other Huracans. They also had a 488 Spider that got to 95K miles without major problems. Their GT3 RS has about 60K miles and had to do an engine swap (which Porsche covered under warranty surprisingly), but no other problems there. Contrast that to their McLaren, they currently have 4 of them, all with under 40K miles, and often times 2 of them are down and unable to be rented.
Malibu owner clocked over 100K miles on his 458 Spider that's a ton of miles in LA traffic and adds another data point to your assessment which I agree with although dont have personal experience with Macca's.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:30 AM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

Can’t you extend the warranty up to 12 years?
yeah, at 5k a year, a bit steep
Old 02-06-2019, 10:37 AM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
yeah, at 5k a year, a bit steep
I'm not sure what the numbers are on other models, but the 570S extended warranty is under $3500/yr.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:14 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary(SF)
I'm not sure what the numbers are on other models, but the 570S extended warranty is under $3500/yr.
720 I believe is 4200/year
Old 02-06-2019, 11:45 AM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Just bought a 570S for my wife. What an amazing car, I think I am about to become a McLaren fanboy and convert. Always liked the brand, had never taken the plunge. As much as I am a Porsche disciple, apostle, apologist and chief propaganda disseminator, I think McLaren has successfully kicked Porsche's azz in the bang for the buck department at every level of their offering.

570S is the base model and it smokes 98% of Porsche's lineup......
Old 02-06-2019, 11:53 AM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Originally Posted by Catorce
Just bought a 570S for my wife. What an amazing car, I think I am about to become a McLaren fanboy and convert. Always liked the brand, had never taken the plunge. As much as I am a Porsche disciple, apostle, apologist and chief propaganda disseminator, I think McLaren has successfully kicked Porsche's azz in the bang for the buck department at every level of their offering.

I've owned a number of Porsches over the years and the 570S blows me away. Steering and chassis dynamics remind me of my Elise, and the power is other-worldly. Just did the 3-year service and the car has been essentially bulletproof the whole time, and it's an early car (#226). Couldn't be happier with it.

I notice you have a reference to "Taormina Racing" - anything to do with Ted?
Old 02-06-2019, 11:56 AM
Catorce
Banned

Originally Posted by Gary(SF)
I notice you have a reference to "Taormina Racing" - anything to do with Ted?
Nope, but I do get that a lot......
Old 02-06-2019, 12:01 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 81 Posts

good info
Old 02-06-2019, 12:04 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Nope, but I do get that a lot......
lol, I bet. He built a Superformance Cobra that I owned for four years, so much outrageous fun!

Old 02-07-2019, 01:45 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Very cool. Sounds like a great car.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:41 AM
Catorce
Banned

Rob, It's so good you wonder how Porsche is still selling any cars. Maybe McLaren's marketing arm needs work,
Old 02-08-2019, 04:05 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Only problem is turbo lag / depreciation. Fix those and I'm in

N/A Mac would be pretty insane.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Only problem is turbo lag / depreciation. Fix those and I'm in

N/A Mac would be pretty insane.
The problem isn't turbo lag, per se, it's the way the turbos spool up in the Macs. At least on the 570S and even to some degree 650/720 models, they're almost like old school Toyota Supra turbos. As in nothing nothing, then bang off you go. Which is ok, if you can adjust to that kind of driving dynamic. But if Macs can tune their engines to be more like the TTS or even the AMG, I think we would all agree that "lag" would not be much of an issue, if one at all.

As to depreciation, it's totally overblown. AMGs depreciate just as bad, and suffer as much as Macs from electronic gremlins. The only difference, for me any, between say an AMG or a Mac is that the Mercedes dealership is much more robust and parts availability are usually not an issue.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:22 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The problem isn't turbo lag, per se, it's the way the turbos spool up in the Macs. At least on the 570S and even to some degree 650/720 models, they're almost like old school Toyota Supra turbos. As in nothing nothing, then bang off you go. Which is ok, if you can adjust to that kind of driving dynamic. But if Macs can tune their engines to be more like the TTS or even the AMG, I think we would all agree that "lag" would not be much of an issue, if one at all.

As to depreciation, it's totally overblown. AMGs depreciate just as bad, and suffer as much as Macs from electronic gremlins. The only difference, for me any, between say an AMG or a Mac is that the Mercedes dealership is much more robust and parts availability are usually not an issue.
agree. We all disparage Mac depreciation, but AMG or lambo depreciation is just as bad.
Only Porsche GT, mid engine Ferrari, or sports cars with limited production numbers hold their value.

Agree that TTS and AMG have less lag, but still noticeable to me. If Mclaren would do a true no-lag turbo like Ferrari 488/Pista, then I’d consider a Mac.

Last edited by Drifting; 02-08-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success