Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 10:00 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

The fact that you owned a Senna and just sold it just reinforces the negative perceptions many have of Macs. It was obviously a short term ownership.

I personally like McLarens a lot
but Mac imho just doesn’t get it. With the reputation for poor quality and reliability the fix is easy. Offer very reasonably priced extended and renewable warranties to boost confidence and which will increase the willingness to buy them both used and new and cut out the requirement for post track inspections which just further reinforces the perception your product can’t hack it and is a pita. This in turn will increase resale values imho

I hope the last few postings and this one is not taken in a combative manner as that is not my intention.

If selling/flipping a Senna shortly after ownership is perceived to be that something is wrong with the car... then there must be something really wrong with Porsche GT cars which probably in absolute numbers is the most flipped car of any car out there. I didn't feel like using offsite storage for the Senna, paying for that and it still wouldn't be my special car which I would want to take out to what I term special track days. P1 is and would be that for my purpose. Someone else just wanted the Senna a lot more than I did.

I can't talk about extended warranties because I sell them (not P1) before it gets to that stage.

I don't think one should complain about track inspections for warranty purposes when other cars have no warranty at all. I wouldn't rely on the wink/wink thing because when something really goes wrong then that wink/wink thing that your dealer overlooked will probably not help you.

My Porsche dealer is 8 miles away from my home. I have to take the car in to them if I want a track inspection. It doesn't take them long and they do it for free but it is a nuisance that I have to bring it there, wait and bring it back home.

My Mac dealer is 35 miles away from my home. They come pick up the car, do their thing and drop it off for free. They obviously charge for the track inspection but it includes more then just doing a one over visual inspection. Maybe it's excessive but I've seen more then a few cars on track have brake failure, coolant leaks, oil leaks, etc. One has to complete those track inspection waiver forms at HPDE days and it is very similar to what the Mac dealer does but they do a bit more (weigh the rotors, take off the tires, brake flush, etc.). This has become even more important to me since I was at Laguna Seca and was part of the group that crashed (I didn't but car in front of me did and car behind me did and a track worker was killed and two cars totaled). The costs of tracking (coaching, shipping (if need be), hotel stay, track fees, consumables, fuel, etc.) are considerably more then the cost of a track inspection. I don't think I've ever done a post track inspection on any car. Usually, I get the pre track inspection but not post.

Perception is from people who like to take certain bits of information or postings on social media and continually hammer away about it to fit their narrative, whether it is to justify their car purchase or they have skin in the game monetarily (brokers who sell other cars, after market part companies, third party mechanics, sales people, people trying to pump up the value of their car, etc.).
Old 02-01-2019, 10:49 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

The issue with a McLaren isn’t that it has problems or more problems than another marque but it’s more that it takes so fcking damn long for them to fix something as parts are basically a la minute. That’s assuming you can easily get to a McLaren dealership.

With Porsche, even if you have multiple problems they are easily addressed as the dealership network is fulsome and well established and parts shortage, while not uncommon, rarely will result in the car being out of service for an extended period of time (like months at a time).
very true. My Mclaren sat for 6 months waiting for a rusted fender to get replaced from England. I never had a dealership experience that did not take a month. Always waiting for parts or advice from the mothership in england. Good news is that I got nice Porsche loaner cars!
Old 02-02-2019, 01:36 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
I hope the last few postings and this one is not taken in a combative manner as that is not my intention.

If selling/flipping a Senna shortly after ownership is perceived to be that something is wrong with the car... then there must be something really wrong with Porsche GT cars which probably in absolute numbers is the most flipped car of any car out there. I didn't feel like using offsite storage for the Senna, paying for that and it still wouldn't be my special car which I would want to take out to what I term special track days. P1 is and would be that for my purpose. Someone else just wanted the Senna a lot more than I did.

I can't talk about extended warranties because I sell them (not P1) before it gets to that stage.

I don't think one should complain about track inspections for warranty purposes when other cars have no warranty at all. I wouldn't rely on the wink/wink thing because when something really goes wrong then that wink/wink thing that your dealer overlooked will probably not help you.

My Porsche dealer is 8 miles away from my home. I have to take the car in to them if I want a track inspection. It doesn't take them long and they do it for free but it is a nuisance that I have to bring it there, wait and bring it back home.

My Mac dealer is 35 miles away from my home. They come pick up the car, do their thing and drop it off for free. They obviously charge for the track inspection but it includes more then just doing a one over visual inspection. Maybe it's excessive but I've seen more then a few cars on track have brake failure, coolant leaks, oil leaks, etc. One has to complete those track inspection waiver forms at HPDE days and it is very similar to what the Mac dealer does but they do a bit more (weigh the rotors, take off the tires, brake flush, etc.). This has become even more important to me since I was at Laguna Seca and was part of the group that crashed (I didn't but car in front of me did and car behind me did and a track worker was killed and two cars totaled). The costs of tracking (coaching, shipping (if need be), hotel stay, track fees, consumables, fuel, etc.) are considerably more then the cost of a track inspection. I don't think I've ever done a post track inspection on any car. Usually, I get the pre track inspection but not post.

Perception is from people who like to take certain bits of information or postings on social media and continually hammer away about it to fit their narrative, whether it is to justify their car purchase or they have skin in the game monetarily (brokers who sell other cars, after market part companies, third party mechanics, sales people, people trying to pump up the value of their car, etc.).
Your postings are in no way combative. You make some good points. I didn’t comment on your motive in selling the Senna since I had 0 clue as to why you did and didn’t ask since it’s none of my business. My comment was that the act of such a quick (the fact itself) sale fuels negative perceptions that exist about Macs although your sale didn’t contribute nearly as much as the Solomdrian BBQ.

Yes, many Porsche GT cars are moved on quickly but the motive there is quite different. Flipping for more dollars. This problem is borne from and fuels the opposite perception. Desirability. The P1 and Senna (I think but not sure) are the only Macs that fall into that category.

The fact i can drive to my Mac dealer buy the model of my choosing that day with a discount and drive it home compared to the brain damage i incur in fighting for a Porsche GT car says it all.

For DE purposes I am unawares of any car whose warranty disclaims expressly for this except Mac which requires a track inspection to continue coverage. Maybe I am wrong but happy to be corrected.

i actually think a pre and post inspection is a great idea for safety purposes but it should be marketed that way. A safety inspection if it’s not already.

Your Laguna Seca story is an eye opener and sobering.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:24 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

I posted this before I think- if it’s a repeat- apologies- In my circle of friends- 4 Mclarens - close friends of mine with ownership from less than a month or so all the way up to 13 months. 3 720s, one 600lt.

No mechanical issues whatsoever. No extended service visit other than the time it takes to do an oil change.

In in my extended circle - I know about a dozen or so mclaren owners- no long service times or issues that I’m aware of other than routine maintenance.

no doubt they are working hard to expand the dealer network and they have but the reliability issues have not affected anyone that I know personally.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:45 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

My buddy bought a Vega Blue 600lt a week or so ago. Loaded to the hilt with carbon fiber. Looks just awesome but has a price tag to match. Was over 300k for the car.

i just saw this Myan Orange 600lt at the Frankfurt Mclaren dealer- hardly any carbon- was worried the car would look bare and not “rich” but the dark plastic doesn’t look bad at all. Very nice indeed. If anyone was looking to spec out a bare bones 600 cause you don’t want to blow money on CF- it will work. Looks really good to me!
Old 02-02-2019, 08:12 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Reality and perception can be to different things. The perception is the problem they need to fix.

I dont mind plastic trim but than I’m a Ford guy too so take it from whom it comes. I certainly would never spend $$$$ in cf trim. To me complete bon fire of $ on any Mac other than a Senna.

That orange 600LT is gorgeous though and would be what I would buy.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:27 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Waxer
Reality and perception can be to different things. The perception is the problem they need to fix.

I dont mind plastic trim but than I’m a Ford guy too so take it from whom it comes. I certainly would never spend $$$$ in cf trim. To me complete bon fire of $ on any Mac other than a Senna.

That orange 600LT is gorgeous though and would be what I would buy.
here is the Vega blue with all the CF- sorry for the poor photos as they don’t really show the CF but it’s all I have and am out of the country and can’t snap new pics till I get back. The orange is Myan Orange in case you are wondering:

Old 02-02-2019, 08:29 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

No question. They are nice!
Old 02-02-2019, 11:40 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Saru385
discovered another reason why McLarens are horrible:
low car + short arms = my SO having to get out of the car to trigger badge sensor to open gate at company parking lot! all while long line of cars waits behind her....

expecting video on Jalopnik or Insta shortly
The car should be flat enough to go under the gate, no?
Old 02-02-2019, 01:42 PM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The standard grey exterior panels on the 600LT are painted CF; one pays extra for visual CF. However, the standard interior material is painted plastic.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:59 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shewu
The standard grey exterior panels on the 600LT are painted CF; one pays extra for visual CF. However, the standard interior material is painted plastic.
interesting. Did not know that. Really it looked quite good with the gray panels.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:04 AM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye

interesting. Did not know that. Really it looked quite good with the gray panels.

Blue for standard (painted) carbon fiber, purple for optional.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-drive-review/

Looks like I need to qualify my statement with "all painted grey panels except for the engine cover, door inserts, and rear lip spoiler.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:16 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I see McLaren unlike before, has now begun to put the exhaust pipes over the engine and before the rear spoiler for better rear aero down force just like the 918 Spyder. I wonder if they will do that across the board on all new McLarens.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye

here is the Vega blue with all the CF- sorry for the poor photos as they don’t really show the CF but it’s all I have and am out of the country and can’t snap new pics till I get back. The orange is Myan Orange in case you are wondering:

Old 02-03-2019, 02:06 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Another positive consequence- lighter exhaust cause there is less steel to take it to end. Yes- I do think this becomes more normal for them.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:03 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts

One thing I think everyone can agree on, McLaren is arguably the fastest innovating brand out there. I’m a Ferrari guy, and before would never consider McLaren until the 600LT. But it’s hard to argue when I compare what Ferrari has done since 2015 versus McLaren.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success