McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 10:53 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I really like the 600LT but:

1. It’s base Msrp does not compete with the GT3RS. It’s substantially higher for an whats essentially an improved 570S. By the time I add some options I’m in Performonte or 488 territory.
2. Mac resale has me balking.
3. Stories of Mac unreliability and build issues like the post above.
4. Lack of dealer net work.
5. 720LT will steal its thunder.
6. Mac has a bad habit of one upping its own cars seemingly every year. Could partially explain terrible resale values.
good assessment, I think they need to show substantial quality control, and a better dealer network. My buddy just got a 675LT which is one of their best cars IMO 125k back of MSRP with 300 miles.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:55 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

So in my small circle of car buddies, we have as a group in our personal collection- performante, Porsche- Gt3rs and gt3, 488, Aston, huracan- 3 720s and a 570. These are personal cars of my close buddies. The 720s range from 6 weeks ownership (mine) to over a year. One of my friends got one of the first ones in the country. The 570 is about 6 months old. The age of the remaining cars is anywhere from 6. Months to 2 years.

There has not been a single malfunction in any of the cars. None. Not Ferrari, not Porsche, not lambo, and zero issues for the Mclaren’s either.

i don’t discount the story above where the 570 broke down but I would not consider it reflective of the brand. Likely some fluke thing.

All manufacturers these days are Churning our cars that are quite reliable and quite spectucslr. The 570 may not be your thing- totally get the comments on the 600 and for 300k hard for me to take a 600 over a 488 or Perf or a slightly used 720.

But what’s impressive to me about McLaren is how after 5 or 6 years, they have done a great job of figuring things out. The cars are quite spectacular and the brand has progressed nicely.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:57 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

herr is our group of friends meeting up before we roll out for the local coffee and cars last month.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:27 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
So in my small circle of car buddies, we have as a group in our personal collection- performante, Porsche- Gt3rs and gt3, 488, Aston, huracan- 3 720s and a 570. These are personal cars of my close buddies. The 720s range from 6 weeks ownership (mine) to over a year. One of my friends got one of the first ones in the country. The 570 is about 6 months old. The age of the remaining cars is anywhere from 6. Months to 2 years.

There has not been a single malfunction in any of the cars. None. Not Ferrari, not Porsche, not lambo, and zero issues for the Mclaren’s either.

i don’t discount the story above where the 570 broke down but I would not consider it reflective of the brand. Likely some fluke thing.

All manufacturers these days are Churning our cars that are quite reliable and quite spectucslr. The 570 may not be your thing- totally get the comments on the 600 and for 300k hard for me to take a 600 over a 488 or Perf or a slightly used 720.

But what’s impressive to me about McLaren is how after 5 or 6 years, they have done a great job of figuring things out. The cars are quite spectacular and the brand has progressed nicely.
Certainly Mclaren are making great progress and on the road they seem to be becoming more reliable....but I get the impression that they are still a bit fragile when pushed on track. The Porsche test drivers pushed all the cars equally hard (i.e. lap after lap) on the first day and only the Mclaren broke down. It might have been a fluke as you say, but it does sadly perpetuate the story line of unreliability.

Would be curious to know how many of your friends cars have survived a hard track day because I get the impression that the buyers of these cars simply don't track them...at least not at the track days I attend. In the last 3 years I have seen a grand total of only 3 Maca's on track alongside a zillion Porsches and a lot of Ferraris. Indeed, Ferrari owners seem to track their cars much more than Mclaren owners
Old 12-16-2018, 11:47 AM
kkabba
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 88 Posts

I was ready to buy my first McLaren. Wanted another track toy and LT cars seemed to get incredible praise.

Luckily even got a 600LT allocation with delivery prior to the 2019 track season. My heavy spec ended up being within spitting distance of 675LT's so I made the switch. More power, less weight, more exclusive. My expectations are that the car will not be as bullet proof as the Porsche GT cars I regularly track, but what is, honestly?

Low spec 600LT is great value but the heavy specced ones are tough to justify when u can pick up 720s or 675LT for similar $.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:32 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by kkabba
I was ready to buy my first McLaren. Wanted another track toy and LT cars seemed to get incredible praise.

Luckily even got a 600LT allocation with delivery prior to the 2019 track season. My heavy spec ended up being within spitting distance of 675LT's so I made the switch. More power, less weight, more exclusive. My expectations are that the car will not be as bullet proof as the Porsche GT cars I regularly track, but what is, honestly?

Low spec 600LT is great value but the heavy specced ones are tough to justify when u can pick up 720s or 675LT for similar $.

The 675 LT is heavier than the 600lt...but it's a damn epic car, still one of my favorites ever.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:21 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Do not discount the 600LT without driving it. Saying it's a hopped up 570 is like saying a GT3RS is a hopped up carrera.

They are of course- but that's way too reductive. it's flush with more special components, a better transmission, better brakes, better tires, better aero, more power, better noises, better seats, and Ti Exhausts that either shoots fire or sounds like a cup car.

The 600LT :: GT3RS
The 7xxLT :: Gt2RS

Please do not discuss the GT3RS at msrp or Gt2RS at msrp. Similar to Pista- very rare for people to score these at sticker and so if you have to make a game time decision today- at market prices:

280 (LT) vs 260 (RS) and the LT even has great lease residuals.

It's an awesome car- and I was a skeptic because of how much I loved the 675LT (owned 3 of them) but the 600LT drives incredibly well.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:44 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Do not discount the 600LT without driving it. Saying it's a hopped up 570 is like saying a GT3RS is a hopped up carrera.

They are of course- but that's way too reductive. it's flush with more special components, a better transmission, better brakes, better tires, better aero, more power, better noises, better seats, and Ti Exhausts that either shoots fire or sounds like a cup car.

Please do not discuss the GT3RS at msrp or Gt2RS at msrp. Similar to Pista- very rare for people to score these at sticker and so if you have to make a game time decision today- at market prices:

It's an awesome car- and I was a skeptic because of how much I loved the 675LT (owned 3 of them) but the 600LT drives incredibly well.
Fair considering ADMs in many cases. Mac could have really made a splash if their MSRP was 10% lower which I’m sure they could have to offset the other concerns.

Do love it though but will just sit back and wait a year and enjoy my 3RS in the meantime.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:15 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

Curious, if you could only have one, would you rather have a 600 or 675? I understand one is new and one isn't, but they're pretty much even money today. I've driven neither, but have considered a used 675, and now the 600 seems pretty dang good.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:06 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
Curious, if you could only have one, would you rather have a 600 or 675? I understand one is new and one isn't, but they're pretty much even money today. I've driven neither, but have considered a used 675, and now the 600 seems pretty dang good.
I never would have considered a 600LT to replace a 675 until I drove it.

If you want to track the car, a newer car with a warranty always wins. Lap times will be same or better in a 600LT because it won't spin the wheels as much. It's a bad a s s car.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:20 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

herr is our group of friends meeting up before we roll out for the local coffee and cars last month.
Fantastic photo but lets be honest that's not an "average" group of friends you have there!!!!! I bet it takes longer parking and talking to people than it does to eat breakfast!!
Old 12-16-2018, 04:56 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

I never would have considered a 600LT to replace a 675 until I drove it.

If you want to track the car, a newer car with a warranty always wins. Lap times will be same or better in a 600LT because it won't spin the wheels as much. It's a bad a s s car.

Agree here, I always thought if I didn't like the 600 in the beginning I'd trade it for a 675 (which has held its place as one of my favorite driving hypercars ever), but one drive in the 600 and there isn't one bit of me that wants to go 675 aside from that aesthetic edge the 75 has (of course that's opinion)...the 600 is THAT exciting. And yeah, having full coverage for 3 years is worth a LOT of saving yourself a headache. to boot.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:58 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Fantastic photo but lets be honest that's not an "average" group of friends you have there!!!!! I bet it takes longer parking and talking to people than it does to eat breakfast!!
i don’t disagree. It’s quite a show when we get together for breakfast/dinner. My point is, lots of great cars out there including Mclaren. Too often people become myopic about their favorite brand. My goal is to own/drive them all. I have no loyalties to any one brand.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:19 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

i don’t disagree. It’s quite a show when we get together for breakfast/dinner. My point is, lots of great cars out there including Mclaren. Too often people become myopic about their favorite brand. My goal is to own/drive them all. I have no loyalties to any one brand.
Smart. Loyalty is rarely ever returned in equal doses if at all.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:05 PM
kkabba
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
The 675 LT is heavier than the 600lt...but it's a damn epic car, still one of my favorites ever.
see screenshots attached - manufacturer website shows 675LT lighter. Sure it’s just 17kg though

Quick Reply: McLaren Success