Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 10:26 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
So all the buzz made me wondering. After reading rave reviews about the 570S, I test drove one yesterday. OMG!! Holy cow acceleration. Turbo lag is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The car pulls faster than the RS no doubt. Likely more than the TTS at higher speeds (It's been 2-3 years since I had th 991TTS so not back to back comparison). Perhaps because it is a lighter car but the GT3/GT3RS felt more planted on braking. They certainly do better in turns. I recall chasing a 570S at COTA, and the car would lose my RS on the straights but I'm back on its back at the turns. Have there been less straightaways, the RS would have been faster. That said, the sheer acceleration and smooth(er) up/downshift and the beauty of the 570S, made me trade. The RS is going in and I pick a beautiful Onyx Black 570 tomorrow morning (9 am, to be precise). I won't be tracking as much as I did with the GT3 (and less so with the RS) so looking forward to enjoying this. I really wanted a GT2RS but it is unclear whether or not I will be able to get one (feels unlikely) so for now, I will enjoy the 570S that I got proved nicely under MSRP.
Think it. Do it.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:31 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The RS is going in and I pick a beautiful Onyx Black 570 tomorrow morning (9 am, to be precise).
Congrats on the car Sam - I too defected last year.
I took OrthoJoe out in my 570 last week and booted it in 2nd and 3rd and I think it caught him unawares of what a kick this car has to echo your comments n acceleration. It almost creases the asphalt when it is provoked.

Several RL's have asked me about getting a 570 and I continue to tell them if you want a track orientated car go GT3/RS if track work is not your #1 concern the 570 wins pretty much everywhere else imho.

And I have a feeling the P14 will change the face of motoring for the next few years. Exciting times!!
Old 02-04-2017, 03:15 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I recall chasing a 570S at COTA, and the car would lose my RS on the straights but I'm back on its back at the turns.
That's only due to the massive RS's tire advantage, no? The 570 has puny tires by comparison. Heck, even the 650S seems undertired with 235/305, vs 265/325 on the RS. I'd say the 570 has a better chassis, with a C/F tub.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:31 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
That's only due to the massive RS's tire advantage, no? The 570 has puny tires by comparison. Heck, even the 650S seems undertired with 235/305, vs 265/325 on the RS. I'd say the 570 has a better chassis, with a C/F tub.
I think the tires has something to do with it, plus the rear engine configuration which allows faster corner exit. No doubt, a GT2RS will smoke the 570S on track but they will not be in the same price range. Thinking of going a little wider tires and a lot more camber if I track the 570S.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:33 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Congrats on the car Sam - I too defected last year.
I took OrthoJoe out in my 570 last week and booted it in 2nd and 3rd and I think it caught him unawares of what a kick this car has to echo your comments n acceleration. It almost creases the asphalt when it is provoked.

Several RL's have asked me about getting a 570 and I continue to tell them if you want a track orientated car go GT3/RS if track work is not your #1 concern the 570 wins pretty much everywhere else imho.

And I have a feeling the P14 will change the face of motoring for the next few years. Exciting times!!
Awesome, great to hear your perspective. Have been up since 3 am, four and a half hours to go....
Old 02-04-2017, 10:46 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Awesome, great to hear your perspective. Have been up since 3 am, four and a half hours to go....
Congrats Sam!!!

I'm on my second Mclaren, first was the 650s Spider, now I have a 675LT Spider, with a 3rd on the way.

They are both better than my GT3 and GT3RS and I have driven the. Back to back because I haven't sold any.

You will love the car, and then dealership network in Texas is good.

The P14 720s unveil is on the 14 in NYC, if you could make it ask you dealer to take you.

I had bought your C4S many moons ago, amazing how many cars we go through.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:40 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by fastmd
Congrats Sam!!!

I'm on my second Mclaren, first was the 650s Spider, now I have a 675LT Spider, with a 3rd on the way.

They are both better than my GT3 and GT3RS and I have driven the. Back to back because I haven't sold any.

You will love the car, and then dealership network in Texas is good.

The P14 720s unveil is on the 14 in NYC, if you could make it ask you dealer to take you.

I had bought your C4S many moons ago, amazing how many cars we go through.
Holy small world!! Thanks! The 675LT is an incredible machine but I am enjoying my "entry level" 570S It's great to hear your perspective. I was going to try and get one of their track cars (GT4) but I don't track enough. Sounds like you are getting a 720? It seems that when people switch, they tend to not come back but my intention is to come back to Porsche, if (big if) I can get a GT2RS.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:38 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Full reveal will be in Geneva.
I meant the Ferrari
Old 02-04-2017, 03:24 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 148 Posts

So all the buzz made me wondering. After reading rave reviews about the 570S, I test drove one yesterday. OMG!! Holy cow acceleration. Turbo lag is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The car pulls faster than the RS no doubt. Likely more than the TTS at higher speeds (It's been 2-3 years since I had th 991TTS so not back to back comparison). Perhaps because it is a lighter car but the GT3/GT3RS felt more planted on braking. They certainly do better in turns. I recall chasing a 570S at COTA, and the car would lose my RS on the straights but I'm back on its back at the turns. Have there been less straightaways, the RS would have been faster. That said, the sheer acceleration and smooth(er) up/downshift and the beauty of the 570S, made me trade. The RS is going in and I pick a beautiful Onyx Black 570 tomorrow morning (9 am, to be precise). I won't be tracking as much as I did with the GT3 (and less so with the RS) so looking forward to enjoying this. I really wanted a GT2RS but it is unclear whether or not I will be able to get one (feels unlikely) so for now, I will enjoy the 570S that I got proved nicely under MSRP.
Yeah the 570s is definitely more tuned to be more of a 911 Turbo equivalent. I assume they will release a 570LT type later on. My LT is like night and day compared to the 650S. It's similar in straight line, but on track, the LT was like my Cayman GT4 on steroids and actually more fun.

McLaren is doing an incredible job. I actually know that in our track club at Sonoma - most street cars (members track F3/F4/FMazdas and Radicals/Atoms) are Porsches and McLarens. I too think Porsche and McLaren are the two great performance companies that put a premium on performance over show. Hence I had a GT4 and still have my 675LT. I've been promised a 911 GT3, so I'm definitely continuing this theme.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:03 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
Yeah the 570s is definitely more tuned to be more of a 911 Turbo equivalent. I assume they will release a 570LT type later on. My LT is like night and day compared to the 650S. It's similar in straight line, but on track, the LT was like my Cayman GT4 on steroids and actually more fun.

McLaren is doing an incredible job. I actually know that in our track club at Sonoma - most street cars (members track F3/F4/FMazdas and Radicals/Atoms) are Porsches and McLarens. I too think Porsche and McLaren are the two great performance companies that put a premium on performance over show. Hence I had a GT4 and still have my 675LT. I've been promised a 911 GT3, so I'm definitely continuing this theme.
Wow! Congratulations, you just made my wife's "bad influence list". I just texted my sales person asking him to put me on the "if they make the LT list"!! I put 80 miles on today, the car is so wow and it is way too fun to slide around in moderate speed when the tires are cold, feels incredibly safe!
Old 02-05-2017, 09:51 AM
MerlinRS
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Please share pictures! Can't wait, especially with the black configuration. Would you say the 570S is currently the go to compared to the others besides P1?
Old 02-05-2017, 01:12 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

I think thats really hard to say, I mean I think the 570s is a beautiful car (with an updated interior) and to me better looking than the outgoing 650S. But with the discounts currently on the 650S it seems like SO MUCH more car for the money.

Originally Posted by SwissArtPrints
Please share pictures! Can't wait, especially with the black configuration. Would you say the 570S is currently the go to compared to the others besides P1?
Old 02-05-2017, 03:53 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by SwissArtPrints
I'll post pics shortly (since this a McLaren thread). I haven't driven any of the others so I don't really know. I did ask if I should buy a used 650 instead and was recommended the 570S instead (by owners not dealer). Glad I did as I am 6'4" and 240 lbs. The 570 is bigger than the 650 and id the cockpit is an inch tighter, I would be uncomfortable. Not to mention the door sill on the 570 is 8 cms lower, and I find that still a bit high. The 675 is the ultimate McLaren track car but that is very expensive. Reportedly, there will be a 570 (?595 LT) in a year or so, and I have my eyes on that if the GT2RS doesn't come through.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:14 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Congrats on your new purchase. The 570S is an enticing car. I can see one in my future but for now going to stick NA. Enjoy and looking forward to some pictures. It is a good looking car for sure
Old 02-05-2017, 04:24 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Congrats on your new purchase. The 570S is an enticing car. I can see one in my future but for now going to stick NA. Enjoy and looking forward to some pictures. It is a good looking car for sure
Thanks. Loving it. I like its sound, deep and confident but definitely not loud enough. Here are pics.
Attached Images       

Quick Reply: McLaren Success