Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:26 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

anyone thinking about a 570s coupe? dealers seems to be clearing them out and offering pretty big discounts. wondering if now is the time to jump into one, i've been hesitant at buying at msrp because these things depreciate like a turbo s but now the numbers seem to more reasonable..
Old 07-30-2017, 11:08 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
anyone thinking about a 570s coupe? dealers seems to be clearing them out and offering pretty big discounts. wondering if now is the time to jump into one, i've been hesitant at buying at msrp because these things depreciate like a turbo s but now the numbers seem to more reasonable..
Do you have a color preference?
Old 07-31-2017, 12:49 PM
mousemaster
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What percentage represents "a big discount" off MSRP on a 570?
Old 07-31-2017, 01:48 PM
Mooserds
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Went to my local Porsche dealer this weekend (one that get's a lot of love on these pages) and then made my first visit to our local McLaren dealership. Huge contrast in attitude and the way they treat prospective buyers. McLaren is going to gain a lot of ex Porsche customers.

Porsche was "What have you done for us lately." I've been a PCA member for 25 years, owned numerous Porsches but my dealer does not care about long term. They care about how much money you've spent with them in the last 2 years. They said best chance of getting a GT3 from them will be second hand with delivery miles. I asked how many of those they thought they would have. They said they have identified 1/3 of their allocations will go to "flippers." They didn't call them "flippers." They just said some customers getting allocations have told them that they will make those cars available back to the dealer and are using the GT3 allocation transaction as a way to build more history with the dealer in order to get an even more valuable allocation in the future. Short sighted business model.

McLaren said they just want their cars in the hands of locals who will use them. Much better business model.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Funny, when I went to the local McLaren dealership to check out the 570S, I had to beg someone to even talk to me. Go figure.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:16 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Funny, when I went to the local McLaren dealership to check out the 570S, I had to beg someone to even talk to me. Go figure.
No way... the Palo Alto dealer? Alessandro Ribola there is impossibly nice and accommodating, his colleagues also. Something must be off, give them a second chance or I'll call them for you. They treat everyone like a king.

funny coincidence.. this was on Jalopnik this am.
http://jalopnik.com/rude-porsche-dea...-an-1797375660
Old 07-31-2017, 02:25 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooserds
Went to my local Porsche dealer this weekend (one that get's a lot of love on these pages) and then made my first visit to our local McLaren dealership. Huge contrast in attitude and the way they treat prospective buyers. McLaren is going to gain a lot of ex Porsche customers.

Porsche was "What have you done for us lately." They just said some customers getting allocations have told them that they will make those cars available back to the dealer and are using the GT3 allocation transaction as a way to build more history with the dealer in order to get an even more valuable allocation in the future. Short sighted business model.

McLaren said they just want their cars in the hands of locals who will use them. Much better business model.
Originally Posted by CAlexio
No way... the Palo Alto dealer? Alessandro Ribola there is impossibly nice and accommodating, his colleagues also. Something must be off, give them a second chance or I'll call them for you. They treat everyone like a king.
I agree with both of you. I know this sounds silly, but I remember 15 years ago when you went in to buy a luxury vehicle, the dealership treated you so well. They "wanted" the customer to buy the car.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would have to perform auto gymnastics to beg the Porsche dealer to buy a GT car at msrp.

My experiences with McLaren SA have been extremely positive.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Yup. Went in there on a Saturday afternoon with my son. Salesman were busy chatting each other up. Nobody said boo to us. Spent 15 minutes looking over a number of the cars in the showroom and out front, not a word. Even went out back and checked out the used stuff. Nothing. Finally interrupted them to ask a few questions. Very cold exchange. I thanked him and left. The only thing positive I got out of that visit was a chance to see a gorgeous Ferrari Scuderia they had sitting on the showroom floor.

Funny thing was, I drove up in my 911 and spent time looking at the RS they had out back and still got nothing but a glance from the salesman. You'd have thought he would have jumped on me since I was showing interest in a Porsche. Funny thing was, my son loved the old RS and hated the McLarens.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:31 PM
Mooserds
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I definitely got "screened" first at McLaren but as soon as it was clear I was truly interested n the brand, I got 30 minutes with the GM and a look at the F1, P1 and 720S's in the back. McLaren is way more likely to get my business over Porsche which is a shame as my loyalties have been to Porsche. They don't reciprocate. I would not have looked at McLaren if it weren't for the unjustified snooty attitude of my Porsche dealer. Now I'm trying to come up with a reason why I shouldn't consider buying a McL over a Porsche. The research phase has begun.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Electronics.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:03 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Yup. Went in there on a Saturday afternoon with my son. Salesman were busy chatting each other up. Nobody said boo to us. Spent 15 minutes looking over a number of the cars in the showroom and out front, not a word. Even went out back and checked out the used stuff. Nothing. Finally interrupted them to ask a few questions. Very cold exchange. I thanked him and left. The only thing positive I got out of that visit was a chance to see a gorgeous Ferrari Scuderia they had sitting on the showroom floor.

Funny thing was, I drove up in my 911 and spent time looking at the RS they had out back and still got nothing but a glance from the salesman. You'd have thought he would have jumped on me since I was showing interest in a Porsche. Funny thing was, my son loved the old RS and hated the McLarens.
I'm having dinner with the manager tonight, are you still looking at buying one? I can suggest he get in touch with you?
Old 07-31-2017, 06:18 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

7/31/17

Old 07-31-2017, 06:48 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Guess it all depends on the dealership, not the brand.

I went to test drive a GT3 at our local McLaren dealership. Brought my 10 year old son with me. When I was done driving the GT3, the salesman asked what we thought? I said I loved it but my son thought the McLarens were way cooler. Sales guy turned to my son and said "would you like to ride in one?" He then took him out in a pre-owned 570S and showed him what it could do. My son left beaming. He didn't have to do that, but it was very cool for him to make my son's day, and something I will remember he did.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I'm having dinner with the manager tonight, are you still looking at buying one? I can suggest he get in touch with you?
No, at the time I went in there I was doing early research to see if the 570S would be a good alternative in the event I don't get a GT3 allocation. I've since decided it's definitely not the car for me.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:31 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
It's like when Oprah gave people cars but we collect them back

Show off

Quick Reply: McLaren Success