McLaren Success

Old 05-29-2017, 08:32 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OMFS
Same guy after getting a 720:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nO4mLNpcY1o
MrJWW is a brilliant youtuber and a great contrast to Chris Harris, I'd not be at all surprised to see him hosting Top Gear at some point in the future.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:36 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but the way he plucks at the paddles like Townshend on his guitar annoys me no end, that and the complicated eye wear.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:41 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
Maybe it's just me, but the way he plucks at the paddles like Townshend on his guitar annoys me no end, that and the complicated eye wear.
haha, yeah, he does a dramatic flick which to me seems unwise, especially when you're pushing it and should be focused on the road, but the shifts do sound nice
Old 05-30-2017, 12:03 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,711 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I am not really a Lambo man but I really like the Performante.

I understand the comments regarding 4WD but that element doesn't maybe bother me as much as other RListers as I am now on my 2nd 4WD Porsche (currently a 991 GTS 4) which I quite like. It's a nice contrast to my GT3 and my M2. Plus with an AMG GTR coming in August, I will have enough RWD cars to keep me amused.

I also watched the recent Chris Harris video review of the R8 and he put it right at the top of the tree while calling the 4WD Lambo a bucket of horse p... So he must have liked it for a good reason.

The other factor is price. I can get a V10 Plus with only 1,000 miles on the clock for 135,000 euro vs 165,000 for the 570S. That's a huge difference.

So I am not sure which way I will jump now. Heart says 570S, head and pocket says R8.
I've had extensive time behind the wheel of an R8 V10+, and was this close to getting one, but the weight of the car and the AWD were ultimately deal breakers, especially on track.

As a pure daily driver, I think the R8 is a fantastic car (esp. with that sonorous V10 right behind your ear), and it's much more of an event car to drive around day-in-and-day-out. Certainly more than a 911 4S, but not so much of an attention magnet as a 570S would be. Ingress-egress is also easier in the R8 (even with the lower carbon tub of the 570S.)

Also the turbo lag on the 570S, while bearable, is certainly something one has to get acclimated to.

Plus, the fit-and-finish and reliability of Audi compared to a McLaren is basically like comparing the brand cachet of a Rolls Royce with a Kia.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:35 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by OMFS
Hold out for the 720s.
A lot of LT owners are not moving towards a 720S. Especially the ones without the bank to afford both. The cars are totally different.

That said, the 720S is an amazing machine.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:14 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 678 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
A lot of LT owners are not moving towards a 720S. Especially the ones without the bank to afford both. The cars are totally different.

That said, the 720S is an amazing machine.
Not only that, some are passing on the 720S in favor of a used LT (and paying significantly more for that decision).
Old 06-01-2017, 06:14 PM
mousemaster
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The post by KYROCKS is exactly the information I am looking for in this thread. While the 12C (used) is within my purchase budget, I am very concerned about the reliability of the car. The dealer warranty is expensive at $4500 per year and you have to add the annual service, track inspections (1 hour pre, 3 hours post) to the ownership costs.

There are virtually no after market shops that are up to speed on the McLaren in my area and the parts are from a very small dealer network so there is no competition for below list on replacements. The GT3 (991.2) that I am on the list for will probably never materialize since I am not an existing customer and the lack of an endorsement for a used 458 on the track has me wondering what car to get at this point. Unlike some members here, I have waited a lifetime for the time to purchase a 6 figure exotic due to family needs. I want to have a nice looking car (the Mac and the 458/430 are at the top on that) and I want something to take to Autoclub or Laguna Seca without having to bring it home on a trailer.

No doubt there are good experiences out there with a used 12C but the exposure to the risk is really making me pause. The 458 needs another year or two before I can reach it as a used vehicle but I guess I can wait.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:30 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by mousemaster
The post by KYROCKS is exactly the information I am looking for in this thread. While the 12C (used) is within my purchase budget, I am very concerned about the reliability of the car. The dealer warranty is expensive at $4500 per year and you have to add the annual service, track inspections (1 hour pre, 3 hours post) to the ownership costs.

There are virtually no after market shops that are up to speed on the McLaren in my area and the parts are from a very small dealer network so there is no competition for below list on replacements. The GT3 (991.2) that I am on the list for will probably never materialize since I am not an existing customer and the lack of an endorsement for a used 458 on the track has me wondering what car to get at this point. Unlike some members here, I have waited a lifetime for the time to purchase a 6 figure exotic due to family needs. I want to have a nice looking car (the Mac and the 458/430 are at the top on that) and I want something to take to Autoclub or Laguna Seca without having to bring it home on a trailer.

No doubt there are good experiences out there with a used 12C but the exposure to the risk is really making me pause. The 458 needs another year or two before I can reach it as a used vehicle but I guess I can wait.
I have to tell you that I also love Maccas, but the stories above of the electrical issues with the 570S, and the out of warranty costs scare the poop out of me. Plus no local dealerships and lack of independent support at this time.

Re: other cars. Have you thought about the soon to be released AMG GT R?

Bish
Old 06-01-2017, 06:32 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mousemaster

If you are on a fixed budget and worried about costs, why don't you buy a used GT3, 991 or 997?

The cars you are talking about started out a different price point and will be more to maintain.

The glass engine cover latch on my 675 LT stopped working, so no access to engine. It cost $12,000.00 to replace as it comes as one piece, was covered under warranty.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:14 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,714 Likes on 910 Posts

Or if you want the Cliff Notes version (is this kid even old enough to drive?):

Old 06-01-2017, 07:30 PM
OMFS
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Seen through glass guy bought a Alfa 4c so I can't take his advice. The other kid likely drives a slammed honda civic. LT vs 720? I hope someone make a track video comparing them.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
Agree. Some of these Euro reviewers seem to be as much about making fashion statements as driving the cars.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:52 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I think it's a good review - he makes a bunch of
good points, and you have to give him credit
for being willing to say something negative,
even if it's a click bait tactic in the title.

He emphasizes why he personally isn't
overwhelmed and wouldn't really want the
car.

He might not get invited to the next Macca
preview...

A lot of what he's saying I think is
actually true about the 720s - it's very
very impressive technically, but does it
scream "drive me". And it's a problem
that most super fast cars have these
days. They are too good for most
uses.

His complaint is not unprecedented, it's what reviews about
modern Lambo's were like after the years
of the scary early Countach's. "This Lambo
won't kill you, so therefore it's not as fun!"

Anyways, rather than make an ad hominem attack on the
young, rich british douches who've somehow
built YouTube channels that get 10x the views
of traditional car magazine's, I appreciate
his candor here.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:33 PM
Zlaatan
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Agree. Some of these Euro reviewers seem to be as much about making fashion statements as driving the cars.
Apart from JWW's flashy sunglasses (and a really nice leather jacket ) I'd say it's the exact opposite from what I've seen.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlaatan
Apart from JWW's flashy sunglasses (and a really nice leather jacket ) I'd say it's the exact opposite from what I've seen.
So apart from those two fashion statements, it's not about fashion statements?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: McLaren Success