Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

 
Old 05-20-2017, 01:38 AM
  #961  
Guest89
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Guest89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: CHI / ATL
Posts: 2,327
Default

Originally Posted by German_Saint View Post
Appreciated!


-
The Pacific 570GT has arrived that I posted about a few weeks ago. Never titled- 7250 miles. $236k sticker- fyi. If you want a nice 570GT for the summer- Cruise PCH to Monterey? That's what I want to do at least.

Cheers-

link to car: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...e-the-cry.html
That is one of the former press cars, no?
Guest89 is offline  
Old 05-24-2017, 03:01 AM
  #962  
changster123
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Taipei
Posts: 236
Default

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mc...-warranty.html

There's a reason why Mclaren's tank in value. The repair bill on these things are insane.

Mclaren really needs to address this on a strategic/policy level, top down from England. They need to make parts much more readily available at a cheaper cost. They need to let 3rd parties work on their cars.

I really love their cars as well as the direction of their car development on a technical level. Everything else though... crazy MSO pricing, cost of ownership, reliability, and most of all trying to monopolize the service side. Mclaren is trying to side step anti monopoly rules and be as monopolistic as possible especially the way they lock out their computers. They will not let 3rd parties touch their cars basically which is nuts. I think the US Government aka Department of Justice should take a closer look at the way Mclaren is doing business.

Their strategy is working though. I bit_ch at all this but I had to buy a 650S Spyder because I do love the car and the value of picking it up on the cheap for a low miles used car. I can drive it a few thousand miles and sell it without too much loss (I hope).
changster123 is offline  
Old 05-24-2017, 12:21 PM
  #963  
kingjr9000
User
 
kingjr9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 247
Default

Mclife:
So the first real test is in from Autocar (available at all good news agents today) and the results are well WOW!! Here are some of the highlights

• The 720s has knocked the 488GTB off its perch and is now regarded according to Autocar as best in class
• Around the Autocar dry test circuit the 720s is faster than a P1 at 1min 6.1sec vs 1min 6.8sec
• On the wet circuit the difference is huge, 1min 9.2 sec vs 1min 20.5sec in favour of the 720s
• Braking from 60-0 mph in 2.44sec in 39.9m compared to 40.9m for the P1
• Standing quarter of 10.4 sec compared to 10.2 for the P1
• 0- 190mph in 22.2sec compared to 21.4 for the P1

Negatives seem to be restricted to the sound, not a surprise and as much as I hate to say it probably easily fixed with an aftermarket exhaust and the brakes don’t have that initial bite or feel.

To quote "the 720s could give the 488 a head start of almost 3 seconds allowing the 488 to hit 60mph before the 720s had even moved - and still beat the Italian to 170mph"

Stats at the end of the day only tell part of the story, but the rest of the article states that the 720s is the real deal, happy days.
kingjr9000 is offline  
Old 05-24-2017, 03:41 PM
  #964  
CAlexio
Super User
 
CAlexio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 8,164
Default

The superiority of 675LT vs 488 was very evident to me on a track day we did with both (as well as a p1 and an R) again recently... I can only imagine how mclaren has moved the game on again with the 720s. The fact that the 720s beats the p1 on a Shorter track is also not a surprise, as the P1's extra power and downforce only seemed to come into play on big fast tracks vs the 675LT.. on a tight track that extra battery weight really affected the p1 with some pendulum effect. The 675LT felt almost as fast in most areas except on bigger straights, and was the group's favorite anytime it was left alone in the pits for even a second. P1 is wow-factor for sure, but 675LT is a precise track weapon.

If they add downforce and power to the already amazing 675LT platform with the 720s.. I have to imagine it's truly unbeatable, and I mean this on a global scale.. including the other heavy hypercars like LaF & 918 etc. the extra 2-300hp those machines offer (not to mention complexity and cost) over a 720s is just not worth the massive weight increase.
Attached Images     
CAlexio is online now  
Old 05-24-2017, 03:48 PM
  #965  
unotaz
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
unotaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Los Angeles/Taipei
Posts: 1,159
Default

Originally Posted by CAlexio View Post
The superiority of 675LT vs 488 was very evident to me on a track day we did with both recently... I can only imagine how this has moved on with the 720s. The fact that the 720s beats the p1 on a Shorter track is also not a surprise, as it's extra power and downforce only seem to come into play on big fast tracks.. on tight ones that extra battery weight really affects the p1 with some pendulum effect, and the 675LT felt almost as fast in most areas except on bigger straights.

If they add downforce and power to the already amazing 675LT platform with the 720s.. I have to imagine it's unbeatable.
The 675LT was a big step up from anything Mclaren has done before. I really liked it. What stopped me from getting one was my previous 12C ownership experience (reliability and depreciation). Nonetheless, 675LT is a fantastic car.

I drove the 720S and although it was stupid fast, I didn't like it that much. Still preferred the 675LT over the 720S. I guess I will have to wait until the next LT is released. Let's see how Mclaren do with the 720S in terms of reliability. I know all 720S have been postponed by 2 months due to production issue.
unotaz is offline  
Old 05-24-2017, 04:49 PM
  #966  
neoprufrok
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
neoprufrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 362
Default

Originally Posted by unotaz View Post
The 675LT was a big step up from anything Mclaren has done before. I really liked it. What stopped me from getting one was my previous 12C ownership experience (reliability and depreciation). Nonetheless, 675LT is a fantastic car.

I drove the 720S and although it was stupid fast, I didn't like it that much. Still preferred the 675LT over the 720S. I guess I will have to wait until the next LT is released. Let's see how Mclaren do with the 720S in terms of reliability. I know all 720S have been postponed by 2 months due to production issue.
I've not had a single problem with my LT and I track it all the time and have 4500 miles on it.

Depreciation is definitely an issue - this is where McLaren messed up honestly. 1000 LTs is a lot. Especially when you consider they told us they would only do 500 coupes to start. While some are super rich and don't care about the cost of owning an LT past the warranty, some of us aren't super baller rich, so these costs factor in. If everyone dumps the car after 3 years, the depreciation will set in.

If, on the other hand, they had made a limited and numbered amount of LTs, then depreciation wouldn't hit so hard, so paying to do the extra maintenance/repairs beyond warranty would be more palatable given an expected higher value.

I know it's not Kosher to think of cars as investments. They're not - I drive mine a lot. But no one wants to constantly get raped on a car either. Ferrari and Porsche seem to be less prone to the depreciation issue.
neoprufrok is offline  
Old 05-24-2017, 05:47 PM
  #967  
unotaz
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
unotaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Los Angeles/Taipei
Posts: 1,159
Default

Originally Posted by neoprufrok View Post
I've not had a single problem with my LT and I track it all the time and have 4500 miles on it.

Depreciation is definitely an issue - this is where McLaren messed up honestly. 1000 LTs is a lot. Especially when you consider they told us they would only do 500 coupes to start. While some are super rich and don't care about the cost of owning an LT past the warranty, some of us aren't super baller rich, so these costs factor in. If everyone dumps the car after 3 years, the depreciation will set in.

If, on the other hand, they had made a limited and numbered amount of LTs, then depreciation wouldn't hit so hard, so paying to do the extra maintenance/repairs beyond warranty would be more palatable given an expected higher value.

I know it's not Kosher to think of cars as investments. They're not - I drive mine a lot. But no one wants to constantly get raped on a car either. Ferrari and Porsche seem to be less prone to the depreciation issue.
That I can agree with you. That's why I have no problem forking out 20 large ones every 4 years on my CGT. I don't know if 1000 cars is considered a lot. I'm pretty sure there are more Speciale out there than 675LT, but you and I both know which car will appreciate down the line.
unotaz is offline  
Old 05-24-2017, 05:50 PM
  #968  
MerlinRS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
MerlinRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Swiss Mountains
Posts: 143
Default

Originally Posted by unotaz View Post
The 675LT was a big step up from anything Mclaren has done before. I really liked it. What stopped me from getting one was my previous 12C ownership experience (reliability and depreciation). Nonetheless, 675LT is a fantastic car.

I drove the 720S and although it was stupid fast, I didn't like it that much. Still preferred the 675LT over the 720S. I guess I will have to wait until the next LT is released. Let's see how Mclaren do with the 720S in terms of reliability. I know all 720S have been postponed by 2 months due to production issue.
How do 570S and 720S compare? I know that they serve a different purpose and are differently priced but would love to hear a comparison!
MerlinRS is offline  
Old 05-24-2017, 05:52 PM
  #969  
chaosoul
User
 
chaosoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Driver seat
Posts: 571
Default

Originally Posted by unotaz View Post
That I can agree with you. That's why I have no problem forking out 20 large ones every 4 years on my CGT. I don't know if 1000 cars is considered a lot. I'm pretty sure there are more Speciale out there than 675LT, but you and I both know which car will appreciate down the line.


Yup, "A lot" is very subjective to the specific car you're talking about.


300 Veyrons is proven to be too much.


Where was 709 LaFerrari is still not a lot


500 RM56 Sapphire is too much.


Where was 50,000 Green Submariner is too little
chaosoul is offline  
Old 05-24-2017, 06:00 PM
  #970  
Scrappy1972
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 369
Default

Originally Posted by unotaz View Post
That I can agree with you. That's why I have no problem forking out 20 large ones every 4 years on my CGT. I don't know if 1000 cars is considered a lot. I'm pretty sure there are more Speciale out there than 675LT, but you and I both know which car will appreciate down the line.
I would have agreed with you up until a week ago. I've since spent time with an LT and think that values for nicely spec'd cars will stay strong over the long term. Drive a 991 RS, Speciale and LT back to back (I did) and you'll understand why.
Scrappy1972 is offline  
Old 05-24-2017, 06:05 PM
  #971  
Drifting
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Drifting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 3,124
Default

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972 View Post
I would have agreed with you up until a week ago. I've since spent time with an LT and think that values for nicely spec'd cars will stay strong over the long term. Drive a 991 RS, Speciale and LT back to back (I did) and you'll understand why.
LT values will hold better than any other mac other than P1..........until the 720LT variant comes out.

Cars with great engineering that also represent the last of an era, will hold value like the Speciale and 997.2 RS.

The 675LT won't be special once the 720LT comes out, as the 720LT will be a lighter, more powerful turbo, like the 675LT was. The 991 RS won't hold Value like the 997 RA unless the 992 RS goes turbo.

Last edited by Drifting; 05-24-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Drifting is offline  
Old 05-24-2017, 06:06 PM
  #972  
unotaz
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
unotaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Los Angeles/Taipei
Posts: 1,159
Default

Originally Posted by chaosoul View Post
Yup, "A lot" is very subjective to the specific car you're talking about.


300 Veyrons is proven to be too much.


Where was 709 LaFerrari is still not a lot


500 RM56 Sapphire is too much.


Where was 50,000 Green Submariner is too little
Wait, they are making 500 RM56?! No way!
unotaz is offline  
Old 05-24-2017, 06:07 PM
  #973  
chaosoul
User
 
chaosoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Driver seat
Posts: 571
Default

Originally Posted by unotaz View Post
Wait, they are making 500 RM56?! No way!


No haha, the latter two is just a hypothetical example.


They're also making way more than 50,000 Submarinera del Verde
chaosoul is offline  
Old 05-24-2017, 07:02 PM
  #974  
Conekilr
User
 
Conekilr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 982
Default

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972 View Post
... Drive a 991 RS, Speciale and LT back to back (I did) and you'll understand why.
I would love to get your impressions and how they compare and what it was you liked in the LT compared to the others.

Conekilr is offline  
Old 05-24-2017, 07:22 PM
  #975  
CAlexio
Super User
 
CAlexio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 8,164
Default

Originally Posted by Conekilr
I would love to get your impressions and how they compare and what it was you liked in the LT compared to the others.

Mind if I join in?.. have tracked all three a small amount.. 2/3 on same day, and then again 2/3 on same day.
991RS: amazing front end, telepathic pdk in automatic mode, best noise. Not very comfortable inside compared to other two. Really fun to drive differently than the others.. rear-engines and requires some finesse but most fun to power out of slower turns with.
458 Sp: dances and sings.. really rewards smooth driving, less forgiving than RS, will plow understeer if you're messy.. undertire'd front end. I had a difficult time connecting, also the steering is way too light, makes no sense to me. Transmission not as good as pdk, much more comfortable and roomy.. great sound also, I prefer RS.
LT: perfection. Best steering by far. Carbon chassis and magic suspension work like a charm on road and on track. Incredible power and torque, much faster than the other two. The ultimate track weapon, and very comfortable on road also.

I won't address looks or fit and finish etc.. just pure driving experience. LT is the daddy, superior in all ways.. but I would still take the RS from a pure badassery standpoint. (I can't describe "badassery" but in my mind it's a combo of boy racer attitude and welcome imperfection)
CAlexio is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: McLaren Success


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: