Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 11:36 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
The SV is amazing car, but I also have a hard time believing it can lap quicker than a 918 with the same driver under the same conditions. Heck, a 675LT should lap quicker than an SV based on the laws of physics (nearly 1,000 pounds lighter, similar power, and actually more torque!).
To be fair the LT is under tired for ultimate laps. But at tracks like COTA where it can really let loose...I'd expect the trap speeds to be super high.

Driving the LT vs the P1 vs the ACR -E vs the GT3RS

LT lightest and feels the most raw. Easiest to play with. Brakes are incredible due to lightweight. Accelerates much better and way faster than a SV aventador.

P1 the fastest and feels the strongest under high speed corners and never stops pulling in straights. Feels like running with scissors - if you go too fast you will make a very expensive mistake. Only time I put it off track was while trying to drift 4 corners in a row- tried to drift entry into exit of chicane. Ended up in the wood chips at Thermal. No harm no foul. Top speeds: 168MPH at thermal and 176 at Big Willow. Want to do Thunderhill in it. Taking to COTA in November. Scariest moments: DRS hiccup at 145mph entering T8 at Big Willow. First track day: speed ventures in the rain at Fontana. I was hitting 160MPH at start finish, in the rain. Heavy rain. I think in the dry the car will do 200mph into NASCAR T1.

ACR feels the easiest to drive due to front end aero and 295 front tires. Wide gears and tons of torque, always in powerband. I never put a wheel wrong- with a good alignment the car is every bit honest and a record breaker. At Willow springs you barely use the brakes into T1 because of the massive aero drag and engine braking. My most impressive lap was a 1:53 in rainy damp conditions at buttonwillow. I also did a 153 at chuckwalla dead stock.

GT3RS has the 2nd biggest tires and with rear steering feels idiot proof - great trans, great grip but nowhere near the power of the other 3. Feels planted everywhere and because of RWS is much easier to get to 9/10ths than the 997 variety.

I don't have 918 track experience. But it is awesome and with the contact patches being so big with all the electric torque pulling at the front wheels I am imagining a very easy car to get to 9/10ths.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:38 PM
kingjr9000
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since we're talking about the SV and other cars, figure I'd post this over here, so we can see if anyone knows anything about the 720s's aero to compare.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:39 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kingjr9000
Since we're talking about the SV and other cars, figure I'd post this over here, so we can see if anyone knows anything about the 720s's aero to compare.

Have not driven it yet but I really will push it soon and give everyone a real opinion
Old 05-10-2017, 02:40 PM
kingjr9000
Racer

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Have not driven it yet but I really will push it soon and give everyone a real opinion
That was quick! Good to know, though.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:49 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

I don't have 918 track experience. But it is awesome and with the contact patches being so big with all the electric torque pulling at the front wheels I am imagining a very easy car to get to 9/10ths.
It's the weight of the 918 that is the biggest issue. You really feel it, esp braking into downhill corners and at change of direction. Also, at very fast corners, the approach speed is so high and there is so much mass to manage, esp if it gets out of shape. Brake regen also needs practise as you have to push twice just to maintain max force.
I made the mistake of jumping into 918 for a few laps, after a day in a single seater, and it felt like a big, wallowing, boat!

Although it's massively fast despite all of the above, it's not a 'track car'. I do think it's the most technically impressive all-round road car yet built though. So many bits of it that are not fully appreciated compared to the competition, starting with the V8 which is a work of art.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:18 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

For the Colorado people ... Mike Ward in Littleton will be the new McLaren dealer
Old 05-10-2017, 05:23 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
For the Colorado people ... Mike Ward in Littleton will be the new McLaren dealer
Yep, already started several weeks ago...
Old 05-10-2017, 05:35 PM
17bhub
Rennlist Member

Location: Where I get the fresh scent of spent Jet Fuel & see Cold Smoke!
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

...Feels like running with scissors....
somehow I think you run with scissors anyhow - just being a lefty might be evidence enough - you guys are shifty
Old 05-10-2017, 07:02 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Anyone know value low mile 675lt spider carbon edition.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:17 PM
17bhub
Rennlist Member

A little bit of a guess but based on what I saw a few months ago - $750,000 or more - only 25 made.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:44 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 17bhub
somehow I think you run with scissors anyhow - just being a lefty might be evidence enough - you guys are shifty
I feel like you just called me an Alfa / Fiat dealer. Lol.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:38 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 148 Posts

To be fair the LT is under tired for ultimate laps. But at tracks like COTA where it can really let loose...I'd expect the trap speeds to be super high.

Driving the LT vs the P1 vs the ACR -E vs the GT3RS

LT lightest and feels the most raw. Easiest to play with. Brakes are incredible due to lightweight. Accelerates much better and way faster than a SV aventador.

P1 the fastest and feels the strongest under high speed corners and never stops pulling in straights. Feels like running with scissors - if you go too fast you will make a very expensive mistake. Only time I put it off track was while trying to drift 4 corners in a row- tried to drift entry into exit of chicane. Ended up in the wood chips at Thermal. No harm no foul. Top speeds: 168MPH at thermal and 176 at Big Willow. Want to do Thunderhill in it. Taking to COTA in November. Scariest moments: DRS hiccup at 145mph entering T8 at Big Willow. First track day: speed ventures in the rain at Fontana. I was hitting 160MPH at start finish, in the rain. Heavy rain. I think in the dry the car will do 200mph into NASCAR T1.

ACR feels the easiest to drive due to front end aero and 295 front tires. Wide gears and tons of torque, always in powerband. I never put a wheel wrong- with a good alignment the car is every bit honest and a record breaker. At Willow springs you barely use the brakes into T1 because of the massive aero drag and engine braking. My most impressive lap was a 1:53 in rainy damp conditions at buttonwillow. I also did a 153 at chuckwalla dead stock.

GT3RS has the 2nd biggest tires and with rear steering feels idiot proof - great trans, great grip but nowhere near the power of the other 3. Feels planted everywhere and because of RWS is much easier to get to 9/10ths than the 997 variety.

You won't say it but I'll say it... that 1:53 at chuckwalla was the production car record.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:48 AM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any advantage in terms of driving experience with the roof scoop for the LT?

Also wondering if the spider has the same exhaust note like the coupe?
They sound very different in the videos. Driving with the windows down do they
sound similar?

Would love to buy an LT spider if i can find a good deal only for the sound alone. But aesthetically the coup with the roof scoop looks out of this world.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:10 PM
17bhub
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fun2k
Is there any advantage in terms of driving experience with the roof scoop for the LT?

Also wondering if the spider has the same exhaust note like the coupe?
They sound very different in the videos. Driving with the windows down do they
sound similar?

Would love to buy an LT spider if i can find a good deal only for the sound alone. But aesthetically the coup with the roof scoop looks out of this world.
The few people that have the roof scoop rave about the experience as it relates to the air intake. There is no performance difference in the car as it is more of an aesthetic feature.

you can read about it here...

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mc...scoop-not.html

I will tell you that the coupe definitely sounds different than the spider as the spider has a rear window that can be dropped to hear the engine although I think the coupe looks better (even though I own spiders).

The coupes with the scoop are pretty rare. With regards to finding an LT I'd touch base with McLaren Scottsdale or PM CJ Ichiban.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:58 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Review of the 570S GT4:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...t4-comparison/

Quick Reply: McLaren Success