Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 01:58 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
On McLarenLife... people are pretty up front about the problems. And their complaints.
Really? I never heard of any P1 owners complained about their DRS wing failure, nor about their transmission replaced, or their entire hybrid battery system replaced on McLife.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:14 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
You are full of beans.

SV - was not doctored one car a few guys in fact it could have it run faster and they were told to ho go home before they beat the 918 and with Trofeo's could have really beat the 918 but they weren't ready yet.
Sure, Lambo didn't doctored the tires on the SV.

Let's let the numbers do the talking. All datas was verified lap times according to fastest laps:

Hockenheim
1:06.30 (918) vs. 1:07.80 (SV)
918 is faster by 1.5s

Willow Springs
1:23.54 (918) vs. 1:25.42 (SV)
918 is faster by 1.88s

Le Mans Bugatti
1:42.63 (918) vs. 1:47.35 (SV)
918 is faster by 4.72s

Thermal
1:17.18 (918) vs. 1:23.56 (SV)
918 is faster by 6.38s

Sachsenring
1:26.77 (918) vs. 1:31.79 (SV)
918 is faster by 5.02s

Vairano
1:09.54 (918) vs. 1:11.84 (SV)
918 is faster by 2.3s

If the SV was only 2 secs slower at the Ring (or according to YOU, it could have GONE FASTER) on a 7mins track, how do you explain the HUGE difference in lap times on these MUCH SHORTER tracks?
Old 05-09-2017, 03:18 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Sure, Lambo didn't doctored the tires on the SV.

Let's let the numbers do the talking. All datas was verified lap times according to fastest laps:

Hockenheim
1:06.30 (918) vs. 1:07.80 (SV)
918 is faster by 1.5s

Willow Springs
1:23.54 (918) vs. 1:25.42 (SV)
918 is faster by 1.88s

Le Mans Bugatti
1:42.63 (918) vs. 1:47.35 (SV)
918 is faster by 4.72s

Thermal
1:17.18 (918) vs. 1:23.56 (SV)
918 is faster by 6.38s

Sachsenring
1:26.77 (918) vs. 1:31.79 (SV)
918 is faster by 5.02s

Vairano
1:09.54 (918) vs. 1:11.84 (SV)
918 is faster by 2.3s

If the SV was only 2 secs slower at the Ring (or according to YOU, it could have GONE FASTER) on a 7mins track, how do you explain the HUGE difference in lap times on these MUCH SHORTER tracks?
Just answer what the stack of computers were doing on the passenger front seat.

The SV with Trofeo's will go faster or do you think it will go slower - we all know how much the tires on the MP4 held back performance so assume it would do the same on the SV.

Few things - Viper whooped up all over the US on the 918 as did the Huracan at the Ring and the SV wasn't fake we all know in racing cheaters win but there is zero evidence of anyone cheating but for the 918's time so please tell me why was there a stack of computers on the passenger seat of the 918.

I get you think tires can be doctored - but this is a race car with a human traveling for 7 minutes at high speed ... who in their right mind thinks like that .... oh the 918 guys

Track times - uh those 918 times you telling me those were street 918's or were they Porsche 918 test cars - you are killing me.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio

We've all gone fast now, 500hp is the new 300hp... so 720hp doesn't really make your ***** tingle anymore. The sound of a big NA engine DOES! $ go where the tingle is.
I beg to differ. I've driven my Gt3 back to back with my buddy's 650S. The GT3 is nowhere near the McLaren in power-on "visceralness," primarily due to the outrageous torque (boost) and low weight.

The GT3 is very driveable, even with ~500hp. The McLaren will throw the backend sideways in 2nd and 3rd gear. It really gets your attention.

Once you get the GT3 rotated and planted, you can pretty much bury the throttle in any turn. It's very well sorted and easy to explore it's limits. The McLaren requires much more throttle precision and respect. I bet you could get power oversteer in a 100mph high speed sweeper pretty easily and without having to be near the lateral adhesion limits (which I'm not going to try in my friend's car...).

I was also amazed by the amount of front-end precision and steering feel in the McLaren. 911s have always had great steering, but the McLaren makes the GT3 feel sluggish and heavy.

This car feels very precise, very powerful and very dangerous (not like a 996 GT2 or an old Viper that would do bizarre karate moves mid corner, more like a formula 1 car that you've never driven and aren't sure exactly where the power/chassis balance lies).

The McLaren rotates quickly and precisely, and the only reason it wouldn't tingle your ***** is because they have shrunk up into your abdomen in a state of torque respecting terror.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:02 PM
unotaz
Drifting

The SV with Trofeo's will go faster or do you think it will go slower - we all know how much the tires on the MP4 held back performance so assume it would do the same on the SV.

Few things - Viper whooped up all over the US on the 918 as did the Huracan at the Ring and the SV wasn't fake we all know in racing cheaters win but there is zero evidence of anyone cheating but for the 918's time so please tell me why was there a stack of computers on the passenger seat of the 918.

I get you think tires can be doctored - but this is a race car with a human traveling for 7 minutes at high speed ... who in their right mind thinks like that .... oh the 918 guys

Track times - uh those 918 times you telling me those were street 918's or were they Porsche 918 test cars - you are killing me.
You must have a hole in your head.

To answer your questions:

1. The stack of computers is used to monitor the various system of the hybrid system. There are 3 engines in the 918, not your typical setup on your average supercar.

So you are saying that Porsche cheated and Lamborghini didn't? Ok, let's go with that assumption. If the 918 cheated on their lap time at the Ring, then it should be slower everywhere else, especially at tracks tested by various medias and magazines.

If Lamborghini didn't cheat, then the SV should easily beat the 918 at all of the other tracks in the world because 918 cheated and hence, its real performance should be slower than 6:57s at the Ring.

Ok Einstein, then why is the SV SLOWER than the 918 everywhere else in reality?

2. Yes you are correct, with Trofeo R, your SV would go faster. But so would the 918 on Trofeo R tires. GMG and their clients have already tested the 918 on Trofeo R tires at Thermal, and it lapped 1sec faster than the OEM Cup 2.

3. Why are we talking about the Viper ACR? You need to stop deflecting and answer my question. Why is the Aventador SV so much slower than the 918 everywhere else except the Ring?
Old 05-09-2017, 07:40 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
I beg to differ. I've driven my Gt3 back to back with my buddy's 650S. The GT3 is nowhere near the McLaren in power-on "visceralness," primarily due to the outrageous torque (boost) and low weight.

The GT3 is very driveable, even with ~500hp. The McLaren will throw the backend sideways in 2nd and 3rd gear. It really gets your attention.

Once you get the GT3 rotated and planted, you can pretty much bury the throttle in any turn. It's very well sorted and easy to explore it's limits. The McLaren requires much more throttle precision and respect. I bet you could get power oversteer in a 100mph high speed sweeper pretty easily and without having to be near the lateral adhesion limits (which I'm not going to try in my friend's car...).

I was also amazed by the amount of front-end precision and steering feel in the McLaren. 911s have always had great steering, but the McLaren makes the GT3 feel sluggish and heavy.

This car feels very precise, very powerful and very dangerous (not like a 996 GT2 or an old Viper that would do bizarre karate moves mid corner, more like a formula 1 car that you've never driven and aren't sure exactly where the power/chassis balance lies).

The McLaren rotates quickly and precisely, and the only reason it wouldn't tingle your ***** is because they have shrunk up into your abdomen in a state of torque respecting terror.
So which car do you own today, the GT3 or did you switch to a 650s?
Old 05-09-2017, 08:10 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 918 that set the ring time was an early prototype that is actually slower than the production cars. I drove prototype and then production back to back and there was a noticeable difference (esp in hot lap mode).

One of the reasons 918 struggled to sell was that early test drives were given in the early cars before performance was optimised. The 918 could also have gone quicker still if they had bothered optimising the boost strategy. They did sub-7 and moved on.

Having been on tracks side by side, there is zero chance a Huracan is faster in real life trim.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:05 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
Now if Ferrari does this

The only automatic, turbo car I'd consider is the LT w/ the roof scoop. A nod to the grand-daddy F1....it's a win in my book

if prices of the LT/roof scoop drop to 300-200K range--I might bite
Well, I, of course am biased... but I think they won't drop very low. There's only 23 in the country with a scoop.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:10 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 148 Posts

Really? I never heard of any P1 owners complained about their DRS wing failure, nor about their transmission replaced, or their entire hybrid battery system replaced on McLife.
I'm sorry they're not 100% perfectly compliant to your requirements.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:43 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Test
Old 05-10-2017, 08:54 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Test
1-2?
Old 05-10-2017, 09:52 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

So which car do you own today, the GT3 or did you switch to a 650s?
I just drove the 650 a week ago, so not a fair question yet. It's the first and only car I've driven that made me rethink the GT3. I like to drive on the track, and there is enough cost and little issues with the McLaren to be bothersome (esp. for track).
Old 05-10-2017, 10:00 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
The 918 that set the ring time was an early prototype that is actually slower than the production cars. I drove prototype and then production back to back and there was a noticeable difference (esp in hot lap mode).

One of the reasons 918 struggled to sell was that early test drives were given in the early cars before performance was optimised. The 918 could also have gone quicker still if they had bothered optimising the boost strategy. They did sub-7 and moved on.

Having been on tracks side by side, there is zero chance a Huracan is faster in real life trim.
I was invited to those early prototype and like prototypes they are still running at tracks. Buyers were not pushing the cars nor were they allowed to so performance good or bad wasn't the reason of slow sales. They did sub 7 and moved on with an entire F1 team multiple cars and entire day vs Lambo a few hours one car few techs.

Porsche needed the 918 time to be under 7 minutes they stacked an entire set of computers to manipulate the car or perhaps those are CXX options

Of course the 918 became faster so did the Tesla - it's a geek squad engineered car that's porky and comfy and extremely fast a one size fits all machine which IMHO could not be more boring.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:07 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

You must have a hole in your head.

To answer your questions:

1. The stack of computers is used to monitor the various system of the hybrid system. There are 3 engines in the 918, not your typical setup on your average supercar.

So you are saying that Porsche cheated and Lamborghini didn't? Ok, let's go with that assumption. If the 918 cheated on their lap time at the Ring, then it should be slower everywhere else, especially at tracks tested by various medias and magazines.

If Lamborghini didn't cheat, then the SV should easily beat the 918 at all of the other tracks in the world because 918 cheated and hence, its real performance should be slower than 6:57s at the Ring.

Ok Einstein, then why is the SV SLOWER than the 918 everywhere else in reality?

2. Yes you are correct, with Trofeo R, your SV would go faster. But so would the 918 on Trofeo R tires. GMG and their clients have already tested the 918 on Trofeo R tires at Thermal, and it lapped 1sec faster than the OEM Cup 2.

3. Why are we talking about the Viper ACR? You need to stop deflecting and answer my question. Why is the Aventador SV so much slower than the 918 everywhere else except the Ring?

We all could have bought a 918 - it wasn't anything special it was the later offer of being a top tier customer for every new model that sold the 918. Dealers discounting to get more hard to get inventory - no offense I simply think the 918 is a joke of a super car all the tech r&d will be passed down - bean counters dream.

I get you think it's fast and it is but how many owners get anywhere close to a pro with track support maybe a handful so it's all C&C talk. The guts of the car bore me it's a V8 Tesla - sorry not impressed and Porsche can Tesla tweak the batteries til the cows come home. The SV may or may not be slower every car has advantages and disadvantages on tracks different day different story.

SV comes around and 918 owners calls foul and Porsche adds some energizer juice to their bunny - sister company to Porsche does it again with the Huracan would really like to move on and hear about McLaren.

FYI - have many holes in my head it's just a car don't get so upset.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 682 Likes on 321 Posts

The SV is amazing car, but I also have a hard time believing it can lap quicker than a 918 with the same driver under the same conditions. Heck, a 675LT should lap quicker than an SV based on the laws of physics (nearly 1,000 pounds lighter, similar power, and actually more torque!).

Quick Reply: McLaren Success