Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Old 05-03-2017, 01:23 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
I think Jethro, Chris and Steve are all very good drivers. Although Chris is now a bit restricted by BBC
1) They have as good skills as most mclaren drivers, plus you don't need to be that skilled to drive any new Mclaren, so it's irrelevant.
2) They don't have to pet anyones *****, like the guy from carfection (for example), has, because they aren't journalists, so even if they get 'blacklisted', makes no difference.
3) One of them, Mr JWW has a 675lt and a 720 on order, he is a client first and foremost, he didn't like it, the other guy, sam, has a 570, didn't like it either.

In the end, I can't understand your rationale, why does your opinion or any biased journalist, that will never buy the car, counts more than a guy that actually owns a Mclaren, has a 720 on order, but because he is a "vlogger" his opinion becomes useless and irrelevant?

Actually these guys opinions (mostly Mr JWW, given the spread of cars that he owned and drove) to me, are for more valuable than journos, that most of the time have the ***** of an ant when critiquing a car.

What everyone was hoping for this car was basically a 570 with 720 hp and better aero, when apparently, it is a 12c with 720.

What they said is similar to what has been said of the NSX, is too good, too drama free, too easy, too sedate. Remember the f12? Everyone got crazy and excited after driving it, it has very similar power to the Macca and it actually handled great and it wasn't that big of a handful (in sport), but there was drama and the sensations were amplified, this is what a great GT car should be too, even more, a car with that amount of power.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:43 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Ok so some U.K. Nerds (I know Sam and he is a nerd) drove it on some slow *** roads and said it's too comfortable?
While I generally don't like most of the vloggers, I think his comments are valid. The journalists don't seem THAT excited about the car. While it seems fast and performs amazing, it does not seem to have emotion or thrill. Kind of like last years F1 cars. The drivers wanted to quit because they were so boring. This year F1 made the cars more exciting.

I think performance wise the 720 no doubt performs amazing, but not sure if it is that engaging. The same issue happened with the 12c when it first came out and was compared to the 458. It was faster and performed better, but it fell short when it came to sheer thrill. I'm sure the 720 LT very will have the thrill and performance. If I had a choice between the 675lt and 720s, I would choose the 675lt.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:46 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
1) They have as good skills as most mclaren drivers, plus you don't need to be that skilled to drive any new Mclaren, so it's irrelevant.
2) They don't have to pet anyones *****, like the guy from carfection (for example), has, because they aren't journalists, so even if they get 'blacklisted', makes no difference.
3) One of them, Mr JWW has a 675lt and a 720 on order, he is a client first and foremost, he didn't like it, the other guy, sam, has a 570, didn't like it either.

In the end, I can't understand your rationale, why does your opinion or any biased journalist, that will never buy the car, counts more than a guy that actually owns a Mclaren, has a 720 on order, but because he is a "vlogger" his opinion becomes useless and irrelevant?

Actually these guys opinions (mostly Mr JWW, given the spread of cars that he owned and drove) to me, are for more valuable than journos, that most of the time have the ***** of an ant when critiquing a car.

What everyone was hoping for this car was basically a 570 with 720 hp and better aero, when apparently, it is a 12c with 720.

What they said is similar to what has been said of the NSX, is too good, too drama free, too easy, too sedate. Remember the f12? Everyone got crazy and excited after driving it, it has very similar power to the Macca and it actually handled great and it wasn't that big of a handful (in sport), but there was drama and the sensations were amplified, this is what a great GT car should be too, even more, a car with that amount of power.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:00 PM
TopspeedPT
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Old 05-03-2017, 02:01 PM
TopspeedPT
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

I agree 100%.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Biggest problem with the amateur Vloggers is that they take 7 minutes to tell you something they could tell you in 2. Their opinion is valid, but they're in love with the camera and they just drone on to fill time and keep repeating the same thing, whereas a journo, even one that drives like crap, gives you a lot of information and doesn't waste time. Or maybe they just edit better.

One question I do have about that earlier 720S vid though. Why is the guy in the jean jacket wearing old lady sunglasses?
Old 05-03-2017, 04:13 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by COTA1
Because he's driving a Mclaren
Old 05-03-2017, 04:16 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

Agree with what has been said.

1. These 10+ minute videos have probably 60 seconds of information.

2. As someone in the same age group as most of these vloggers, I don't like the direction the car culture is headed, at least based on what they project. I do like watching Matt Farah videos...he gets it IMO.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:27 PM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

mhhh F12

this car is and habe everything what McLarens are missing.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:58 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Shmee really likes it. That settles it...
Old 05-03-2017, 06:07 PM
jpohill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ladies on the Mc forum are all fired up over one bad review. It's quite a comical thread I just went to read.
I find most Mc owners to be the most open minded about other brands - as nearly all of us have owned or do own many other brands.
I also find most to be very objective in how they view the cars.

Have you had any experience with the 720?
Old 05-03-2017, 06:24 PM
jpohill
Advanced

I was merely commenting on how very defensive they have come over one bad review.

I don't care for the 720 looks wise, but owned a 650s and lost my shorts on it, so will not enter the brand again. I have also have tracked the 675LT on multiple occasions--and do like it quite a bit.

Thank you for asking.
I only see a couple of folks giving the review a hard time - and just as many defending it - am I missing something?
Sorry to hear you to a lump on your 650 - makes sense I guess that your a little bitter.
Are the point of your posts to diminish the 720 because of your 650 $$$ loses?
Just curious.

What are you driving now? Again just curious.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:44 PM
jpohill
Advanced

I'm not bitter at all. And I apologize where did I diminish the 720?

Yes, I've lost plenty and made plenty on cars.
Just wasn't for me and maybe the $100k loss was a little excessive.

But hey so goes life...and I do tend to want to stay with NA as long as possible moving forward.

You sound like you want to argue which I rather not.

Driving several different things. Change often and what goes with the wind. Thank you and take care.
Got it! Makes sense!
Old 05-03-2017, 07:06 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
On the one hand, you have established journalists - whether employed by a certain magazine/channel or freelance - who gush over the car (Steve Sutcliffe, Autocar videos, etc.; also see the initial print pieces) and trip over themselves to praise every aspect. Their continuing ability to be invited to these types of events (ie, an all expenses paid trip to Rome to drive a new McLaren) is dependent on them conveying favorable and "on-brand" impressions to their audiences. No invite to events = no relevance = no work. Furthermore, while the lifestyle and trips are undeniably lavish, they aren't fungible, and the pay that the industry commands rarely facilitates ownership of the hottest cars over which they fawn. (I am good friends with many people in this line of work, both in the US and abroad).

Meanwhile, you have a group of friends who are not established "journalists," by any means. However, they have (1) the requisite funds (through whatever means - inheritance, YouTube riches, etc.) to purchase the cars and (2) an audience that provides McLaren additional exposure to a youthful demographic.

The actual, legitimate customers for the car (confirmed and potential) expressed reservations about spending $300K+ USD on the car. But I bet McLaren still invites them back.
While I agree with your description of the established 'pro' journalists, the car kardashian type vloggers are also dependent on manufacturer goodwill to get the same invites to the launches. No invites = much less clicks. The youtube views showcasing a car at a press day launch/drive day very early on is going to be far greater than compared to one with a customer car delivered much later with everyone else (even assuming they get early cars through their 'fame' or otherwise).

The difference is that a journalist (at least the more established ones ie Harris/Bovingdon/meaden etc) have shown they actually have a decent understanding of car dynamics and do actually know how to drive quickly. Swaning up and down a city centre with an expensive car that family money has procured doesn't make one's opinion of how that car might drive in any way more relevant than even a biased journalist imo.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,718 Likes on 912 Posts

Wonder how long we'll wait for an official Ring time on this one.........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: McLaren Success