Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:53 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
Thanks, yeah I think the P Zeros are standard.
Forgot to ask, do you know if it had the Lamborghini Dynamic Steering (LDS)?
I've read that the standard steering feels better.

Good to know that at least understeer is less than the 610-4, your review fits with the Drivetribe reviewer.
I like the looks of the 580-2, but was turned off by the middle two parking sensor bumps, and had assumed even without the option all have them.
The dealer showed me an internal configurator picture without the option and bumps, even though there are no pictures of this in the wild.
When it comes closer to pulling the trigger I'll confirm that with the parts department.
NO dynamic steering, I hated the feel with that option and drove it on the road not track, very progressive assist and much less feel. The regular steering is really not as bad as most reviewers say. I think it's a perception thing. a lot of guys say the Ferraris 458/488 are better. When you get in the car at a stand still, all cars with non hydraulic steering have a lot of "play" The RS I feel has the most feedback, The 458/488 spools up fast at low speed and gives good feedback. The 580-2 assists at low speeds like 10-15mph making parking the car much easier. On the track I never felt the steering assist at all and had really good feedback I think as good as the Ferraris but that low speed assist gives the perception that it isn't. Again a really fun car with a lot of potential, great engine I really liked it and wanted to buy one. I think lambo could make a really great special edition version of this car.I was worried about reliability but the all the companies had great things to say about it much better than the Ferraris and second only to the R8 and of course the Porsches.
funny thing: The Lambos have all their engines mounted slightly off center, they say with the drivetrain it allows it to be mounted lower for lower center of gravity. The R8 has the same off center alignment but everything in the engine bay is centered around the off center engine almost OCD like. In the Lambos the cross bars are centered around the car and chassis. Looking in the engine bay the Lambos are very clearly to be off center but the R8 you have to really look to tell that it had the same alignment
Old 04-25-2017, 01:09 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Thanks again race7117.
The off center engine in the R8/Huracan is so the drive shaft can pass from transmission along the side of the engine then to the front, as opposed to running it under the engine which would raise the engine and CG.
Of course they could correct that in the RWD version, but that would require different parts and associated costs.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:43 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
Thanks again race7117.
The off center engine in the R8/Huracan is so the drive shaft can pass from transmission along the side of the engine then to the front, as opposed to running it under the engine which would raise the engine and CG.
Of course they could correct that in the RWD version, but that would require different parts and associated costs.
I just thought it was funny that in the R8 they centered the crossbar to the engine and not the chassis! Weird.
I think you will love the car if you buy and if you take it to the track you will have a lot of fun very rewarding when you get it right. The Lambo traction/ stability control is extremely loose and lets you get very sideways but if you lose the rear end it ain't helping you. Really jealous if you pick one up
Old 04-25-2017, 06:40 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
I just thought it was funny that in the R8 they centered the crossbar to the engine and not the chassis! Weird.
I think you will love the car if you buy and if you take it to the track you will have a lot of fun very rewarding when you get it right. The Lambo traction/ stability control is extremely loose and lets you get very sideways but if you lose the rear end it ain't helping you. Really jealous if you pick one up
Maybe difference between Italian and Germanic sensibilities?
Back in love with the GT4 after weekend Dundon header install, but if that drug wears off it will be the 580-2 in Blue Cepheus Pearl (Mexico) or Grigio Telesto Pearl (Nardo), unless there's a GT4 RS with the GT3's engine (or a GT3 RSR).

Last edited by d00d; 04-26-2017 at 07:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-26-2017, 08:09 PM
TopspeedPT
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Nice drifts

View this post on Instagram
Old 05-02-2017, 08:03 PM
TopspeedPT
Racer

Old 05-02-2017, 08:56 PM
MerlinRS
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh well, that's interesting!
Old 05-02-2017, 09:13 PM
TopspeedPT
Racer

Mr.JWW was dissapointed. Too much of a GT car. He's used to the LT.
He order one at Geneva tho...ouch.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:33 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve Sutcliffe is saying that the Mclaren people are claiming (unofficially) it's faster than P1 on circuits where you don't need gobs of top-end.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:52 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Ok so some U.K. Nerds (I know Sam and he is a nerd) drove it on some slow *** roads and said it's too comfortable?
Old 05-03-2017, 09:01 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How do McLarens hold up around tracks? Are they ok to take them occasionally there? Any problems?

How are the rear pads doing without the slip diff? Compared to Porsche GT3 how much more expensive it is to maintain them? Ferrari gives for example 7 years free maintenance...

How would you compare 720s against 488GTB? I would love to own F car at one point but all that tech in McLarens plus their carbon construction and performance makes me lean towards that brand. Less all that BS with VIPs when willing to order Ferrari. And I believe Ferrari is a bit overestimating their power output and lightness which to me is a bit disgraceful.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:58 AM
TopspeedPT
Racer

Old 05-03-2017, 10:29 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

All these vloggers' opinions are horse sh$t as their driving skills are.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:05 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by COTA1
Be careful--a lot of the 'video' on .2 are from same type 'journalists' with crappy driving skills
I think Jethro, Chris and Steve are all very good drivers. Although Chris is now a bit restricted by BBC
Old 05-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SwissArtPrints
Oh well, that's interesting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Pm6SFEuRA
Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Ok so some U.K. Nerds (I know Sam and he is a nerd) drove it on some slow *** roads and said it's too comfortable?
Originally Posted by qbix
All these vloggers' opinions are horse sh$t as their driving skills are.
I am by no means a fan of the "vlogger" content or lifestyle (and I'm in the same age range as these guys - 28 - I'm surely they really perturb older people), but I was perusing for videos yesterday just after the embargo broke and came across Supercars of London's video with the sensational headline of his "honest review," so I watched it.

Quite refreshing, actually.

On the one hand, you have established journalists - whether employed by a certain magazine/channel or freelance - who gush over the car (Steve Sutcliffe, Autocar videos, etc.; also see the initial print pieces) and trip over themselves to praise every aspect. Their continuing ability to be invited to these types of events (ie, an all expenses paid trip to Rome to drive a new McLaren) is dependent on them conveying favorable and "on-brand" impressions to their audiences. No invite to events = no relevance = no work. Furthermore, while the lifestyle and trips are undeniably lavish, they aren't fungible, and the pay that the industry commands rarely facilitates ownership of the hottest cars over which they fawn. (I am good friends with many people in this line of work, both in the US and abroad).

Meanwhile, you have a group of friends who are not established "journalists," by any means. However, they have (1) the requisite funds (through whatever means - inheritance, YouTube riches, etc.) to purchase the cars and (2) an audience that provides McLaren additional exposure to a youthful demographic.

The actual, legitimate customers for the car (confirmed and potential) expressed reservations about spending $300K+ USD on the car. But I bet McLaren still invites them back.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success