McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 03:27 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
I went down to Vegas and LA for track experience, Colorado and Northern California for on road experience. Really spent some time with the cars, was really hoping to get some variety in my ownership experience. Was hoping to love the Huracan 580-2, the V10 is a great engine and I like the mid engine layout. The Huracan GT race car is super fun but a real handful. The road car is just that, a great road car that everyone will stare at, surprisingly reliable according to the staff. On track it was really fun and could be rewarding when you get it right but the front end understeer was still very prominent. Supercar Yes Trackcar, no. The 488 really had to get the steering wheel straight to get the most out of the turbos soft car much more road focused than the 458. The 488 is faster but felt more artificial less sweet than the NA cars even the Huracan, I imagine the Speciale would be fantastic competition for the RS but double the price even with markups. I admit my seat time in 991s is extensive so I may just have an internal bias, but I really tried to love the other cars esp the 458. Driving back to back really shows how great the RS is given the price tag, and what people are willing to pay for
Thanks!
Old 04-24-2017, 03:30 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Thanks for the great writeup. Can't imagine selling the RS but if I did the 458 would have to be it. I have driven a Speciale a couple of times and it is indeed speciale... Just too much to feel comfortable driving with any frequency, otherwise would consider it. Would still like to try a 675, but I am an atmo guy at heart.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:55 PM
IRguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
not so bad comparatively ...........458 just back from dealer last night....

F-it, I have too many loved ones die young, so I'll spend what it takes...
Well, my 650s service was $6,800 and the car came back with the CEL on!!!
By the way the CEL is still unresolved. I can get rid of it with the Innova 6160e reader but no P number displayed so I do not know what is exactly going on with the car.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:23 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by IRguy
By the way the CEL is still unresolved. I can get rid of it with the Innova 6160e reader but no P number displayed so I do not know what is exactly going on with the car.
Yea the 570s I drove had a lot of electrical glitches. Got in the car and the windows were down about a half inch. couldn't start the car or use anything, seat adjustment, radio, etc after waiting about 3-4 minutes the windows would roll up on their own and then I could start the car and actually use everything. I like the idea of a McLaren car but I think they are still a bit of a ways away
Old 04-24-2017, 05:28 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

I went down to Vegas and LA for track experience, Colorado and Northern California for on road experience. Really spent some time with the cars, was really hoping to get some variety in my ownership experience. Was hoping to love the Huracan 580-2, the V10 is a great engine and I like the mid engine layout. The Huracan GT race car is super fun but a real handful. The road car is just that, a great road car that everyone will stare at, surprisingly reliable according to the staff. On track it was really fun and could be rewarding when you get it right but the front end understeer was still very prominent. Supercar Yes Trackcar, no. The 488 really had to get the steering wheel straight to get the most out of the turbos soft car much more road focused than the 458. The 488 is faster but felt more artificial less sweet than the NA cars even the Huracan, I imagine the Speciale would be fantastic competition for the RS but double the price even with markups. I admit my seat time in 991s is extensive so I may just have an internal bias, but I really tried to love the other cars esp the 458. Driving back to back really shows how great the RS is given the price tag, and what people are willing to pay for
The RWD 580-2 still understeers, do you recall what tires it had?
Old 04-24-2017, 05:33 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Old 04-24-2017, 05:35 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pvr
$173 for two wiper blades!
yes, but one is for the "pilot"! so aircraft quality I would guess
Old 04-24-2017, 06:08 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

P0000 codes are generic DTCs and manufacturers are required to adhere to the OBD2 emission standard system in the US. But manufacturers are very smart to not give the tiniest bit of information more than the minimum required by law and many aftermarket " code readers " are not capable to translate scan data accurately. The best tool to use is the factory scan tool,but those cost between 20 and 50 grand,plus updates on new models are about 10K a year.
I have several,but lately I'm playing with a Chinese clone tablet and I'm impressed! Still pretty expensive for the " home mechanic ".
If anyone in the NYC area wants to find out what's going on with their car,I would love to play with a Ferrari or Mac.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:29 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
The RWD 580-2 still understeers, do you recall what tires it had?
Great question, I believe they were pirelli p-zeros but I could be wrong on that. All the cars were on street tires except the Huracan GT race car which had slicks. The 580-2 had a lighter front end than the 610-4 as well as much less understeer but you could still feel it in the higher speed corners. The 580-2 was easy to correct with the throttle,but you could still feel the "built in" understeer.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

$70 for a wiper blade? Must be titanium for that price....
Old 04-24-2017, 10:15 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I like the .66 cent washer :-)
Old 04-24-2017, 10:42 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 148 Posts

Yea the 570s I drove had a lot of electrical glitches. Got in the car and the windows were down about a half inch. couldn't start the car or use anything, seat adjustment, radio, etc after waiting about 3-4 minutes the windows would roll up on their own and then I could start the car and actually use everything. I like the idea of a McLaren car but I think they are still a bit of a ways away
I've had 2 mclarens for a total of 10k miles.. never had an electric glitch FWIW.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:09 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Great question, I believe they were pirelli p-zeros but I could be wrong on that. All the cars were on street tires except the Huracan GT race car which had slicks. The 580-2 had a lighter front end than the 610-4 as well as much less understeer but you could still feel it in the higher speed corners. The 580-2 was easy to correct with the throttle,but you could still feel the "built in" understeer.
Thanks, yeah I think the P Zeros are standard.
Forgot to ask, do you know if it had the Lamborghini Dynamic Steering (LDS)?
I've read that the standard steering feels better.

Good to know that at least understeer is less than the 610-4, your review fits with the Drivetribe reviewer.
I like the looks of the 580-2, but was turned off by the middle two parking sensor bumps, and had assumed even without the option all have them.
The dealer showed me an internal configurator picture without the option and bumps, even though there are no pictures of this in the wild.
When it comes closer to pulling the trigger I'll confirm that with the parts department.

Last edited by d00d; 04-25-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:00 PM
IRguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
P0000 codes are generic DTCs and manufacturers are required to adhere to the OBD2 emission standard system in the US. But manufacturers are very smart to not give the tiniest bit of information more than the minimum required by law and many aftermarket " code readers " are not capable to translate scan data accurately. The best tool to use is the factory scan tool,but those cost between 20 and 50 grand,plus updates on new models are about 10K a year.
I have several,but lately I'm playing with a Chinese clone tablet and I'm impressed! Still pretty expensive for the " home mechanic ".
If anyone in the NYC area wants to find out what's going on with their car,I would love to play with a Ferrari or Mac.
Unfortunately I am far away from NYC now. The interesting thing is, I got a P code before, something about the coolant and cams shaft. I have it somewhere. Then deleted the code - instructed by Chicago Maclaren - then the CEL came back after about 40min of driving. All this after 2 weeks in service for regular maintenance and coolant leak. According to my contact the CEL was not on when the car left Chicago, but when it rolled out of the trailer it was already on.
I still like the car, but my enthusiasm is somewhat tempered by these unresolved issues.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:22 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Unfortunately I am far away from NYC now. The interesting thing is, I got a P code before, something about the coolant and cams shaft. I have it somewhere. Then deleted the code - instructed by Chicago Maclaren - then the CEL came back after about 40min of driving. All this after 2 weeks in service for regular maintenance and coolant leak. According to my contact the CEL was not on when the car left Chicago, but when it rolled out of the trailer it was already on.
I still like the car, but my enthusiasm is somewhat tempered by these unresolved issues.
Sorry to hear about your issues.
A problem related to the coolant system,like having the car running too cool because of a stuck open thermostat for example will illuminate the CEL and set a generic P code. That is because of emissions. Modern cars are designed to run hotter because they burn fuel cleaner. Same goes for a camshaft code,that might pop up because the car is misfiring and not running right. Again that goes back to emissions : a car that is not running properly will pollute more.
The problem with generic readers/scanners is that they will give you a P code associated with the coolant system for example,but the description will be generic and will not help a technician or DIY-er towards identifying the problem accurately.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success