Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 09:30 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
And I've read you're getting the 991.2 GT3 in manual. Great choice! I bet you're gonna love it!
well I am on the list, but too far down (#6 at a small dealer)....so unfortunately I doubt it. I am #2 on the list for next RS though, so a fairly good chance I may get that?
Old 04-22-2017, 11:31 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
well I am on the list, but too far down (#6 at a small dealer)....so unfortunately I doubt it. I am #2 on the list for next RS though, so a fairly good chance I may get that?
Let's just say I've seen this " movie " before and I have no doubt you'll get a car being no 6 on the list! NO DOUBT! Only one thing : you'll have to be patient if you can : I'd say plan on a car sometime in 2018...
Old 04-22-2017, 03:29 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't give assurances you can't back up. The small dealer I bought my GT3 from got only 2 991.1 GT3's, 4 GT4's and 1 Gt3 RS. It depends how small your small dealer is etc.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:16 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by changster123
Mclaren, Ferrari etc are really good at extracting money from rich people. They just think rich people don't care about spending $250/hr in labor, $20k to fix a front bumper, etc. It's about maximum extraction. They are very good at the psychology of pricing.

The Mclaren MSO options have the most ridiculous prices.

Don't mind me, I'm bitching because I don't have the $50m+ net worth like the people who buy these.
You make it sound like no other business wants to extract your money. That's their job... to get you to spend money.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:33 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neanicu
Let's just say I've seen this " movie " before and I have no doubt you'll get a car being no 6 on the list! NO DOUBT! Only one thing : you'll have to be patient if you can : I'd say plan on a car sometime in 2018...
problem is I drove the RS on track at Barber @ PSDS Masters class in March and now can't get it out of my head! Going back for Masters RS class in November so will have even more time in the RS. I don't want two 911's (at least not two 991's---maybe a Singer down the road if I can swing it ), so it would either be the 991.2 GT3 6 speed (and sell/trade the GT3 &GT4), or the 991.2 RS PDK (trade 991 GT3) and keep the GT4 6 speed....first world problems

i tried other manual tranny cars when I was selling my ZR1, like Shelby GT350, Viper (not ACR though) and C7 Grand Sport/Z06, but wasn't loving any of them....so GT4 it was!
Old 04-22-2017, 08:35 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://gtspirit.com/2014/09/24/one-o...ped-in-public/

just cruising' to the supermarket ...(check out his name on the big building in the background)

Some people just have it, I guess. What a dream car.
Thank you for the article.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:45 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by German_Saint
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++BUZZ++++++++++++++++++++

Timeout-

McLaren..

Guys,
Just got word that I have an available press car for sale at a much better price than I could normally offer on an untitled vehicle.

It's a great spec car.

Listing in classifieds:
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...l#post14129106
Link doesn't work - you guys and your GT's
Old 04-22-2017, 09:43 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I know that's what all the cool kids are saying, i.e., that the NA cars have soul and the turbo cars are turds, but yet every unbiased review I've seen says the 488 is a better performer than the 458. I get the attraction to the 458 for a lot of folks, doesn't make it a better car. If I got serious, I'd drive them both, but my interest on paper leans to the 488.

And I have no interest in the .2 GTS. I'd do a powerkit 4S before I bought a GTS, but either way I'd have trouble driving a car that sounded like it was ****ting it's pants every time I accelerated.
I drove the 488 in Maranello and I agree that it lacks "soul" compared to older Ferrari's. The sound isn't there and the car feels heavy as someone else said. It looks amazing, but didn't do anything for me driving it.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:12 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drdonger
I drove the 488 in Maranello and I agree that it lacks "soul" compared to older Ferrari's. The sound isn't there and the car feels heavy as someone else said. It looks amazing, but didn't do anything for me driving it.
NA
Old 04-22-2017, 10:38 PM
MatthiasAK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
I agree with this. It's rocket ship fast but it didn't excite me the way it should have. I thought it drove great but the sound isn't there and it lacks a certain specialness.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:07 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Link doesn't work - you guys and your GT's
My marketing was too effective. The car is available as of now although I'm sure others are working their contacts as well this weekend.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:50 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not so bad comparatively ...........458 just back from dealer last night....

F-it, I have too many loved ones die young, so I'll spend what it takes...
$173 for two wiper blades!
Old 04-24-2017, 02:39 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

I just spent a bunch of time on track with Lambos(huracan aventador), the 458, 488 570s and of course the RS. I just sold my RS and was looking to jump into the exotic game but after driving all said cars back to back I was left loving the 458. The engine is wonderful and the throttle response was very race car like. All the cars are fantastic and the turbos in the newer models with the added torque surely are more practical on the road, but on the track the lag really felt slow and soft, easier to drive but not as rewarding. That being said I decided to take the RS out after all of the exotic machines and not sure if it was just my comfort with it or what but it was the worst decision. I truly regret selling my RS. I may just have to bite the bullet and get one again. Actually I take that back I don't regret the decision because it allowed me to really investigate the competition and in all honesty was about to buy a 458 before I went back to the RS. Hold on to yours!! It really is the best of the bunch
Old 04-24-2017, 02:46 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
I just spent a bunch of time on track with Lambos(huracan aventador), the 458, 488 570s and of course the RS. I just sold my RS and was looking to jump into the exotic game but after driving all said cars back to back I was left loving the 458. The engine is wonderful and the throttle response was very race car like. All the cars are fantastic and the turbos in the newer models with the added torque surely are more practical on the road, but on the track the lag really felt slow and soft, easier to drive but not as rewarding. That being said I decided to take the RS out after all of the exotic machines and not sure if it was just my comfort with it or what but it was the worst decision. I truly regret selling my RS. I may just have to bite the bullet and get one again. Actually I take that back I don't regret the decision because it allowed me to really investigate the competition and in all honesty was about to buy a 458 before I went back to the RS. Hold on to yours!! It really is the best of the bunch
Thanks for feedback. Was this at a local CO track or elsewhere?
Old 04-24-2017, 03:18 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Thanks for feedback. Was this at a local CO track or elsewhere?
I went down to Vegas and LA for track experience, Colorado and Northern California for on road experience. Really spent some time with the cars, was really hoping to get some variety in my ownership experience. Was hoping to love the Huracan 580-2, the V10 is a great engine and I like the mid engine layout. The Huracan GT race car is super fun but a real handful. The road car is just that, a great road car that everyone will stare at, surprisingly reliable according to the staff. On track it was really fun and could be rewarding when you get it right but the front end understeer was still very prominent. Supercar Yes Trackcar, no. The 488 really had to get the steering wheel straight to get the most out of the turbos soft car much more road focused than the 458. The 488 is faster but felt more artificial less sweet than the NA cars even the Huracan, I imagine the Speciale would be fantastic competition for the RS but double the price even with markups. I admit my seat time in 991s is extensive so I may just have an internal bias, but I really tried to love the other cars esp the 458. Driving back to back really shows how great the RS is given the price tag, and what people are willing to pay for

Quick Reply: McLaren Success