Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 04:05 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Perhaps historically, but not in recent years when McLaren had to hopscotch from Honda to Renault for engines, and to this day still can't figure the areo dynamics on its cars.
Well I guess if 180+ grand prix wins is bad, I don't know what good is :-)
Old 04-26-2019, 04:08 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
Well I guess if 180+ grand prix wins is bad, I don't know what good is :-)
Cant be living in the past. Now you just sound like the Lakers front office.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:21 PM
360MVA
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
Sometimes my 720s will start with a light touch, other times it has to be pushed in for a while when it feels like it has to think about it. It also won’t start when I get a “key not found in vehicle” when I’m holding the key fob in front of me. I was told not to leave the key in the car and to lock it in the garage on or off the CTEK, I guess to let it sleep and not be on standby. Some occasional quirks but it will start.
I always leave the key in my car and no issues. Perhaps I've been fortunate but my 720 has been bullet proof. So good that I ordered a spider due in any day now. I'm using the GT3 as a semi DD which so far has also been flawless. very slow in comparison but still fun to drive drive.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:33 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

The reason that Porsche (and Lambo to some extent with the Huracan Performante) cares and exceeds at 'Ring times is because it builds its cars with the goal of 'Ring times as major component of the final end-product.

Nothing wrong with that. Just don't assume the 'Ring times are some sort of fortuitous happenstance.
So you are saying that they make a car that's fast on a track because they want to make a car that's fast on a track? Wow, cunning bastards
Old 04-26-2019, 10:05 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Technically he came from France but they never gave him a bogey on a road car to go break a record or crash trying. Anecdotally- the lamborghini guys are told that the cage in test car is unbreakable, so go break the record or you are walking home.
He has crunched a few RSRs - Sebring 2016 and he wrote off an RSR in testing at Spa last year

Did they crash a 2 RS or 3 RS during Nurburgring record attempts?

Originally Posted by Catorce
McLaren is the second most successful F1 team after Ferrari.....
Can't see a scenario in which they win a race until they are a works team; they threw that (admittedly small) potential away with Honda to take customer engines from Renault
Old 04-27-2019, 03:44 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

McLaren simply don't have the deep pockets like Mercedes and Ferrari.

And they never had their own engines, so their power units are always hit and misses.

Now that their road cars are selling well, perhaps they could consider using the money earned from selling road cars to finance their racing arm, developing their own engine, and base their road car engine off that to amortize the cost.Or at least the technical know hows. Porsche had been doing that successfully with the flat 6, and the hybrid from the 919.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:51 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 201 Posts

Norris is driving the hell out of the McClaren lately in F1. I think Alonso left one year too early as the car is performing much better this year; better than the Renault’s in fact.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:47 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Cant be living in the past. Now you just sound like the Lakers front office.
And you keep moving the goal posts on their wins by implying that lack of recent victories negates previous wins. Either McLaren is the 2nd most winning F1 team in history, or they are not, period, end full stop.

Oh, and they are
Old 05-04-2019, 06:34 AM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts

Interesting effect on the flames compared to stock:

downshifts spit far bigger flames. Up shifts shoot slightly larger flames. The flames from hard acceleration is gone. Overall a great improvement and highly recommended imo

Last edited by obbob; 06-24-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:57 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by obbob
Just installed an aftermarket cat delete exhaust into my 600LT. Huge difference in noise, sounds really good and visceral now!

downshifts spit far bigger flames. Up shifts shoot slightly larger flames. The flames from hard acceleration is gone. Overall a great improvement and highly recommended imo
Who did that?
Old 05-04-2019, 10:09 PM
rollsroy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Just installed an aftermarket cat delete exhaust into my 600LT. Huge difference in noise, sounds really good and visceral now!

Did you get a tune as well? Was thinking of getting the sport cat downpipes to not deal with a CEL.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:31 AM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rollsroy
Did you get a tune as well? Was thinking of getting the sport cat downpipes to not deal with a CEL.
No tune. I used o2 minicats from BigDaddiesGarage and so far have not received CEL. If you wanto avoid CEL for certain, Capristo makes an obd2 check engine light delete module. It stays plugged into your OBD2 and will delete any catalytic converter related codes it finds. It is $1300 retail. No installation required. Cool thing is it works for most modern Mclaren and Ferrari, so if you switch cars, you can just unplug the module and take it with you.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:57 PM
360MVA
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I installed down pipes and straight exhaust w/sport cats which really improved the sound and mid range power on my 720. No CEL with the sport cats.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:20 AM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

Mclaren 600 LT on track at Sonoma Raceway:

Some Notes:

First time he is driving 600 LT

Driven at 8/10th's

Trofeo tires had 2.5 track days on them

Passenger weight: Approximately 250 pounds

Additional weight with Giro Discs and Cobalt Pads (According to people who know more then me; the rolling mass is equal to an additional mid size passenger).

Best Lap time: 1:46, Rolling best lap time:: 1:44, (comment from driver: it's a 1:41 car )

Other notes about track day:

This was the fourth session overall for the day (A few people had already left for the day).

Sonoma Raceway doesn't allow beginner groups or coaching unless it is through Simraceway. Therefore, there was no novice or beginner group)

Most common car was 720s

About Six 600 LT's. (From what I could tell; This was the first Mac of the other 600 LT owners on track):

Most common tip that I gave to the other owners: The car has to be in Esc-Dynamic mode or it will cut power in just about every turn (I gave this tip based on discussions between sessions. It felt like an entirely different car to them after they drove in this mode).

Next posting is the video. Well worth it to watch the entire thing and read his captions. He has driven a 720s at Laguna Seca and has coached inside a P1 and Senna at Laguna Seca.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:21 AM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

The Video:

Quick Reply: McLaren Success