Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 03:40 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
Sometimes my 720s will start with a light touch, other times it has to be pushed in for a while when it feels like it has to think about it. It also won’t start when I get a “key not found in vehicle” when I’m holding the key fob in front of me. I was told not to leave the key in the car and to lock it in the garage on or off the CTEK, I guess to let it sleep and not be on standby. Some occasional quirks but it will start.
The key fob has to be in the pocket attached to the drivers seat cushion. That is the recommended way. Key gets detected every time in that position.

If car awakes but you have difficulty starting then it is always not enough pressure that your foot is giving on the brake pedal.

These are common issues of "getting used to the car" when a person first buys it/starts driving it.

If you lend your car to a friend who isn't used to driving Mac's then they will be very susceptible to these two issues.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:09 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

On 675LT you had to put ~100-150lbs of force on brake pedal to start car

Similar with 600LT.

Mclaren test drivers do not have the same skill or training on a general level as the Porsche guys. Estre, Lars, Tandy, Jani...these dudes are a lot better drivers than Chris Goodwin was in terms of outright pace. The only reliably 'super' shoe that has driven a McLaren for a real lap time is Kenny Brack when he drove the Lanzante P1Lm to a 6:4x at ring
Old 04-25-2019, 05:21 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

Similar with 600LT.

Mclaren test drivers do not have the same skill or training on a general level as the Porsche guys. Estre, Lars, Tandy, Jani...these dudes are a lot better drivers than Chris Goodwin was in terms of outright pace. The only reliably 'super' shoe that has driven a McLaren for a real lap time is Kenny Brack when he drove the Lanzante P1Lm to a 6:4x at ring
first time I started my 720 I was shocked to see how hard you had to press. I’m just used to it now. Likely it’s whats causing some of the problems you hear about cars not starting.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:33 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Similar with 600LT.

Lambo also has Mapelli.

Maybe, if Mac was that interested in promoting their Ring times as a sales tool, they might have engineered their cars with different rubber, I believe.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:48 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by br911
Lambo also has Mapelli.

Maybe, if Mac was that interested in promoting their Ring times as a sales tool, they might have engineered their cars with different rubber, I believe.
Pirelli has been a big partner for them and they espouse the GT4/ GT3 cars as well capable for track days also. It has to be said that race cars like a GT4 clubsport or 570GT4 are faster than a GT2RS at most tracks anyway
Old 04-25-2019, 11:50 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Similar with 600LT.

Kévin came from McLaren
Old 04-26-2019, 10:02 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Guest89
Kévin came from McLaren
Technically he came from France but they never gave him a bogey on a road car to go break a record or crash trying. Anecdotally- the lamborghini guys are told that the cage in test car is unbreakable, so go break the record or you are walking home.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:37 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

McLaren never had the long history of sports car racing like Porsche. They were focusing on F1 pretty much since forever. Porsche on the other hand had MAY one make series running their sports cars, also their driving academies and young driver developmental programs. Basically everyone you mentioned came from Porsche's own program.

Now that they start getting serious about sports car, McLaren should at least partially copy Porsche's strategy, developing their own drivers from a young age. they may not have enough pull to support one make series, but young driver programs and driving academies are very doable. It won't happen overnight, but eventually McLaren will have their own homegrown racers that are world class.

The basic building block of the 12C platform is sound, engine, transmission, suspension system are all world class, the latest version, the 720S is a world beater. They could do with a bit more focus on brakes and that's about it. Tire width is a concern and limitation of the platform but even with narrower than normal tires the cars are still handling good enough. Race car versions with wider slicks proved the chassis is very much up to par.
The following users liked this post:
indischrot (04-27-2021)
Old 04-26-2019, 01:48 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

^excellent post and on point...since i live in cali will be getting a 720spider
Old 04-26-2019, 02:15 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Id be VERY curious if a company came out as the equivalent "MR" for Mclaren and dialed in a proper 600lt with the slightly larger rubber and mpsc R tires on it and a few suspension tweaks what it could really do lap time wise...who's game and running IMSA Mclaren's currently ��
Old 04-26-2019, 02:20 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
first time I started my 720 I was shocked to see how hard you had to press. I’m just used to it now. Likely it’s whats causing some of the problems you hear about cars not starting.
had that same type of "no start issue" once on the 570S Spider.
called the service manager from the car and he said "stand on the brake pedal as if you are in an old pickup."
did that and sure enough it started right up. don't usually have to push quite that hard though.

the GT3 started doing the "no start" due to the stupid clutch pedal switch.
sorting that out as part of 48k mile service.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:46 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
McLaren never had the long history of sports car racing like Porsche. They were focusing on F1 pretty much since forever. Porsche on the other hand had MAY one make series running their sports cars, also their driving academies and young driver developmental programs. Basically everyone you mentioned came from Porsche's own program.

Now that they start getting serious about sports car, McLaren should at least partially copy Porsche's strategy, developing their own drivers from a young age. they may not have enough pull to support one make series, but young driver programs and driving academies are very doable. It won't happen overnight, but eventually McLaren will have their own homegrown racers that are world class.

The basic building block of the 12C platform is sound, engine, transmission, suspension system are all world class, the latest version, the 720S is a world beater. They could do with a bit more focus on brakes and that's about it. Tire width is a concern and limitation of the platform but even with narrower than normal tires the cars are still handling good enough. Race car versions with wider slicks proved the chassis is very much up to par.
Given this, it's amazing how **** poor McLaren is at F1, and building an engine that doesn't poop out at the first sign of strain.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:51 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Given this, it's amazing how **** poor McLaren is at F1, and building an engine that doesn't poop out at the first sign of strain.
McLaren is the second most successful F1 team after Ferrari.....
Old 04-26-2019, 04:02 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
They really have struggled in F1, but they buy customer engines from Renault. Seems to me they really need a top-notch aero guy, that's where they seem to fall short.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:03 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
McLaren is the second most successful F1 team after Ferrari.....
Perhaps historically, but not in recent years when McLaren had to hopscotch from Honda to Renault for engines, and to this day still can't figure the areo dynamics on its cars.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success