Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by IRguy
I was living with this dilemma for months, ended with a 650S.
I did not have any dealer around me, so it was pure luck and friends help I could drive the 570s.
My reasons to choose the 650s were not performance oriented since I was not planning to track the car. Liked the spider, the only supercar convertible with basically no (minimal) weight penalty. After talking to people I thought the 650s suspension is slightly more comfortable in comfort setting.
I ran a 650s-SP for 18 months as DD, one of best road cars I have ever owned. Imv must have the P1 style Buckets seats fitted though, you get much more feel of what's going on.

Had a 570s for a weekend, did over 800 miles over some of the best roads in Uk. Great fun car, looks stunning, does not have the wave of torque that the 650 has but still great fun. Albeit can not help but feel that imv like all Macs, part of the fun is that the car does not have wide enough rubber on the back end.....
Old 02-20-2017, 11:52 AM
RSA_27149
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was living with this dilemma for months, ended with a 650S.
I did not have any dealer around me, so it was pure luck and friends help I could drive the 570s.
My reasons to choose the 650s were not performance oriented since I was not planning to track the car. Liked the spider, the only supercar convertible with basically no (minimal) weight penalty. After talking to people I thought the 650s suspension is slightly more comfortable in comfort setting.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:59 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

Couldn't resist taking some snaps of this beauty the other day...I have been wanting to see CJ's car in person and I finally got the opportunity to take a few pics...here's one for now. Such a beauty in person!

Old 02-20-2017, 09:18 PM
changster123
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 43 Posts

All this talk of Mclaren success... sure I get it, their cars are getting better and better. I absolutely love their cars. I love the fact they are the only car company doing CF chassis on a large scale like this. I love their philosophy of keeping things as light as possible.

However, can we talk about service for a bit? I'm currently residing abroad so I'm not that familiar with how things work back home in the USA. However, here they ****ing monopolize the service. You have to go to the Mclaren dealership to fix any issue or service the car. They control this because they do not sell the computer stuff. You have to hook up the computer to Mclaren HQ in the UK and get some sort of authorization to get the car serviced. Other quality service shops cannot have access to this computer.

Is this the case elsewhere?

I'm all about free competition. I don't understand this crap about monopolizing it after you buy the car. My Porsches are serviced where I want them to be serviced without any issues. The techs at the local Mclaren dealership is horrible compared to where I get my other cars serviced.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:57 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I've not looked into it, but a shop that maintains and stores a couple of Porsches for me also does it for a 12C GT3. I'm sure they could do the street service, but I'm probably going with the dealer.

I think it's $1200 for the first service (incl. flatbed pickup and return) - we paid $900 for a first service on a Macan.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:01 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by changster123
All this talk of Mclaren success... sure I get it, their cars are getting better and better. I absolutely love their cars. I love the fact they are the only car company doing CF chassis on a large scale like this. I love their philosophy of keeping things as light as possible.

However, can we talk about service for a bit? I'm currently residing abroad so I'm not that familiar with how things work back home in the USA. However, here they ****ing monopolize the service. You have to go to the Mclaren dealership to fix any issue or service the car. They control this because they do not sell the computer stuff. You have to hook up the computer to Mclaren HQ in the UK and get some sort of authorization to get the car serviced. Other quality service shops cannot have access to this computer.

I'm all about free competition. I don't understand this crap about monopolizing it after you buy the car. My Porsches are serviced where I want them to be serviced without any issues. The techs at the local Mclaren dealership is horrible compared to where I get my other cars serviced.
Well to be honest my shop would be pretty F'd if we didn't do service. Don't take this the wrong way but when a guy like me goes out on a limb to buy a store, we run the service department the right way.

When a big conglomerate jerk corp buys a store it's a poop lollipop for anyone wanting the white glove treatment - at any brand. Ford or Ferrari or Porsche or McLaren.

We need service to stay alive, and I would definitely be less interested in getting more mclaren stores if the situation was different. All factories try to lock outsiders out of the ECU, and likewise they don't want us selling parts to foreign countries as well.

The manufacturers all try to control the service and ECU stuff but some are just more proficient.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:47 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 148 Posts

Having had my 12C nearly killed by a non-McLaren shop (was going to do test pipes), I refuse to take it anywhere else. Luckily I do have a great dealer at SF - they are amazing.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:51 AM
IRguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Well to be honest my shop would be pretty F'd if we didn't do service. Don't take this the wrong way but when a guy like me goes out on a limb to buy a store, we run the service department the right way.

When a big conglomerate jerk corp buys a store it's a poop lollipop for anyone wanting the white glove treatment - at any brand. Ford or Ferrari or Porsche or McLaren.

We need service to stay alive, and I would definitely be less interested in getting more mclaren stores if the situation was different. All factories try to lock outsiders out of the ECU, and likewise they don't want us selling parts to foreign countries as well.

The manufacturers all try to control the service and ECU stuff but some are just more proficient.
You guys should start a McLaren dealership here in Omaha. Lots of people with money, quite a few F-cars, McLaren's, and Lambos, but no dealership at all. Have two friends/collages afraid of buying cars other than Porsche due to lack of service support.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:20 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You guys should start a McLaren dealership here in Omaha. Lots of people with money, quite a few F-cars, McLaren's, and Lambos, but no dealership at all. Have two friends/collages afraid of buying cars other than Porsche due to lack of service support.
I can sell to them from my az store and I can also sell to them from my 2nd store
Old 02-21-2017, 10:52 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by changster123

Try paint. No where on the internet is paint code for any McLaren color and no other body shop can get it, no matter how big they are. Secret. No one else can paint their cars...
Old 02-22-2017, 10:06 AM
IRguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I can sell to them from my az store and I can also sell to them from my 2nd store
C.J. Thank You!
The problem is not so much acquiring the car rather than finding someone who can service it properly. Traveling to Chicago from Omaha (closest McLaren service) for a service is quite inconvenient.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:22 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

More 720S drip marketing:

Old 02-22-2017, 05:35 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow - any idea where that track is?
Old 02-22-2017, 05:51 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by laranja
Wow - any idea where that track is?
I believe that is the new Palmer Motorsports track in Massachusetts, could be wrong but looked like it from the layout..

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...need-to-visit/
Old 02-22-2017, 06:04 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

C.J. Thank You!
The problem is not so much acquiring the car rather than finding someone who can service it properly. Traveling to Chicago from Omaha (closest McLaren service) for a service is quite inconvenient.
(We do roadside pick ups on a flat bed)

Quick Reply: McLaren Success