Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 09:55 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Took my LT out today yet again. Flat out so beyond any fun I've had with any recent GT car, I affirmatively don't need another new one ever again. I'm still flat out shocked the thing is even road legal, it,s that ballistically crazy. Holy F. Never smiled as much in a modern car in my life. As far as I'm concerned about, best new age automotive purchase EVER, which in the end is all that really matters haha.
Lucky SOB... I'm still watching snow drifts melt.

Great to hear the first hand experiences of such an amazing car.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:22 PM
.dee
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've said it before in the past, and will recap again, the GT3 RS and a 600LT are so fundamentally different in feel / performance / emotions that it is very difficult to cross shop them, perhaps a GT2 RS and a 600LT would be a better comparison, but even then the platforms are vastly different and require a different approach to driving them aggressively. Which leads to the only conclusion, have both in your garage a 3RS and a 600LT
Old 03-25-2019, 09:27 AM
360MVA
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Mclaren is killing it right now. Ferrari is trying to respond but getting their asses handed to them. Lambo is almost in their own niche (NA V10 and V12). Porsche, other than the GT2RS doesn't compete with them. Quality-wise, I have had about 10 Porsches, several Ferraris and currently own a 720 and an Urus among others and have 720 spider on the way. Not to mention the number of friends and acquaintances who have these cars. In general Lambo seems to have the best QC. McLaren has done very well of late but certainly not perfect. I can tell you a good dealer makes all the difference. Most issues should never make it back to the factory if you have a good tech. Having said this my 720 has been flawless or I would not be buying another. I also have a friend that had to lemon his 570 but this is not unusual for any marque especially a relatively new company. Ferrari has issues all over the place - paint, brakes, engine, electronics, etc and they have been in business forever. It all comes with the territory. I wouldn't buy any of these cars without a warranty though.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:48 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by 360MVA
Mclaren is killing it right now. Ferrari is trying to respond but getting their asses handed to them. Lambo is almost in their own niche (NA V10 and V12). Porsche, other than the GT2RS doesn't compete with them. Quality-wise, I have had about 10 Porsches, several Ferraris and currently own a 720 and an Urus among others and have 720 spider on the way. Not to mention the number of friends and acquaintances who have these cars. In general Lambo seems to have the best QC. McLaren has done very well of late but certainly not perfect. I can tell you a good dealer makes all the difference. Most issues should never make it back to the factory if you have a good tech. Having said this my 720 has been flawless or I would not be buying another. I also have a friend that had to lemon his 570 but this is not unusual for any marque especially a relatively new company. Ferrari has issues all over the place - paint, brakes, engine, electronics, etc and they have been in business forever. It all comes with the territory. I wouldn't buy any of these cars without a warranty though.
Is it the same 570 that was just Lemoned in post 3419 or another?

As to what competes with Mac that’s all in the eye of the beholder.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:53 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

Yesterday was in the mid-plus Celsius territory with sunny skies so I took my car out of hibernation (been plugged in since early December).

I'm sorry to disappoint those who may have been looking forward to some bad news, but the car started without a problem. I backed it out of my garage and drove around for a large part of the day running errands. My kids were thrilled that it was out and ready to drive. I'm still dealing with some mildly annoying gremlins with the infotainment system, but that's it.,

This thread is groundhog day. People bashing McLaren for some unknown reason (jealousy?) and owners and some non-owners defending it Rinse and repeat. I have to attribute the hate to the fact that McLaren has its own thread in a GT3 sub-forum. Sort of like a new gang invading an existing gang's territory. Just looking for trouble.

Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren, Lambo, Aston, etc. all amazing cars. Not sure why people like to focus on negatives. It really isn't good for your health.

Incidentally, I was at McLaren this weekend with my son since the dealership is on the way to his baseball practice. My sales guy said he had a surprise for us and took us into the back room where he said he wanted to show us something that we couldn't mention to anyone. We came to the back and there were 3 Senna's and a P1. I thought, cool, but why so hush hush. He then took us around the corner where there was a brand new Pagani Huayra Roadster awaiting delivery. Purple exposed carbon fiber body with gold wheels. Unreal.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:38 AM
360MVA
Racer

Originally Posted by Waxer

Is it the same 570 that was just Lemoned in post 3419 or another?

As to what competes with Mac that’s all in the eye of the beholder.
Possibly the same car, I'll check that post out. In regards to competition and what competes I mean as far as what people may cross shop. As much as I love Porsche they are not exotic and a 20 year old car looks similar enough to a new car and the performance is not demonstrably better. However, to me they still have appeal and there will always be a place next to one of my exotics.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:34 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

stop it. you don't know what you are talking about despite owning porsche, Ferrari and Mclaren. Your views are biased and your 720 is going to spontaneously explode any moment now. dont say I didnt warn you.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:41 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Possibly the same car, I'll check that post out. In regards to competition and what competes I mean as far as what people may cross shop. As much as I love Porsche they are not exotic and a 20 year old car looks similar enough to a new car and the performance is not demonstrably better. However, to me they still have appeal and there will always be a place next to one of my exotics.
In my case, the dealership and Mclaren were totally cool and just bought my car back. I did not have to do any lemon law work. They also would have given me an amazing price on a different 570, but my GT3 just arrived...
Old 03-25-2019, 12:52 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to their own views.
👍

Last edited by Waxer; 03-25-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:49 PM
zmangt3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by docjohnM
In my case, the dealership and Mclaren were totally cool and just bought my car back. I did not have to do any lemon law work. They also would have given me an amazing price on a different 570, but my GT3 just arrived...
sounds like great service. I think the dealership really dictates what kind of experience we have with our cars regardless of brand
Old 03-25-2019, 06:47 PM
360MVA
Racer

Originally Posted by docjohnM
The person I know has had to fight to get it taken back. Essentially they had to file suit and they are still working out the final terms. Glad to hear you didn't have such an experience.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:19 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by zmangt3
sounds like great service. I think the dealership really dictates what kind of experience we have with our cars regardless of brand
The person I know has had to fight to get it taken back. Essentially they had to file suit and they are still working out the final terms. Glad to hear you didn't have such an experience.
Whether they lemon or not lemon, buy back at a reasonable price doesn't necessarily mean they are good or bad.
GarySF referenced a 488 that was lemoned (i personally know that owner also). I also correspond with the 720 owner who made the video and had mclaren buy it back from him.

If a car is truly a lemon (ie; a person had multiple problems with it early in the ownership period and a person started making noise then the manufacture looks at it differently then say a car that could have been lemoned at say 1,500 miles but a person kept driving it for many thousands of miles and then when the value starts dropping then person starts to look for a way out to get full MSRP or close to it).
Ferrari North America and dealer fought hard with the lemoning of that car, even though it was a clear cut case. The value was dropping and they had to pay close to $100K to the owner to make him whole.
Another case in point; one of my friends was trying to lemon his tesla and he had driven it 22,000 miles. It would have been eligible to be lemoned at around the 3K mile mark. He would have received proceeds as if it was lemoned at the 3K mark even, even though he kept driving it for 19K more miles.
In the 488 example; Ferrari tried all different ways to show that he wasn't using the car in its recommended way (many ridiculous things they tried) in order to be able to get out of it.
The 720s guy in the video. He was doing vmax runs, using launch control and tracking it. These things are all allowed by Mclaren warranty but who knows if he was taking care of the car properly. It might not be any coincidence that the values of 720s have dropped considerably in the U.K. and this was his way out.
Manufactures won't lemon a car or buy it back from a person so easily.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:12 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
my cousin bought a brand new cayenne. 1500 miles and the car died on the freeway. Does that mean Porsche is bad?
our Macan S died on the road with about 300 miles on it. some throttle body related electrical short that fried the CPU.
there was already a service bulletin for it but Porsche still sold us the car knowing that it was likely affected by that issue.

that was two years ago. video still in post-production. will be available on AppleTV+ !!!
Old 03-25-2019, 08:17 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
The 720s guy in the video. He was doing vmax runs, using launch control and tracking it. These things are all allowed by Mclaren warranty but who knows if he was taking care of the car properly. It might not be any coincidence that the values of 720s have dropped considerably in the U.K. and this was his way out.
He said his car was out of the shop for a total of 26 days out of the 7 months he’d owned it.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:10 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
He said his car was out of the shop for a total of 26 days out of the 7 months he’d owned it.
I know what he said and posted. I won't question it but...

If there is something twitchy with the car that doesn't affect the driving; do you let it sit at the dealer waiting for them to get to it, wait for the part, schedule it back in, get it fixed and then shipped back home? OR do you keep it with you; drive it and when the appointment is ready then you bring it in?

The 488 that I referenced; a big part of the lemon was the timeline. He brought it to dealer without an appointment and they weren't in a hurry to get to it. It took them 3 weeks to even look at it. In California, if a car is down for 30 days total (not consecutive) but total over the initial warranty period then it is eligible to be lemoned.

Not trying to point a finger at the 720s guy but sometimes people advise you to bring it to the dealer, let it sit as long as possible; even if it is drive able to set up the lemon. If a car is truly a lemon and a person isn't just trying to get out of the financial/depreciaiton hit then they are going to go right back into the same/similar car that is new. They won't get right out. (he got right out and he went for a much, much cheaper car from a different marque).

Let's say something happened with an in demand car like a gt3rs.2. If you tried to lemon it then you probably won't get another gt3rs; they'll just give you the cash and financially you aren't going to be much better off because there wasn't much of a depreciation hit. (Lemoning and trying to lemon takes on a different meaning when a car has taken a depreciation hit already). A lot of people have agendas like this when they start posting things on social media.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success