McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 12:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Sam wait another 45-60 days or so and I'm sure they will explain more.

It was a bit of a surprise to the dealers when they showed us at the last convention- mostly because we usually get more warning than "later this year" - vehicles are internally teased and explained 18-36 months ahead for porsche for instance. I've seen 6-7 models of Porsche that dont exist in public yet.

Mclaren sees practicality as a big target -
Since their suspensions are so comfortable they are aiming for a 3rd model to the softer side (more usable, lux focused) of the sport and super series cars. It has immense luggage space compared to current mclarens.
my wife barf when I drive
she follows in suv
she carries luggage food and kids
perhaps I will open a school “how to train ur wives”

Old 03-07-2019, 07:32 AM
sansan
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts

Getting full PPF treatment

Old 03-07-2019, 10:02 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by sansan
Getting full PPF treatment

That is a tough color for me but not my car.

Congrats and enjoy!!- I do really like the rear of the car
Old 03-07-2019, 11:26 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Mclaren wants a bona-fide 911 TT/s competitor is what they're really trying to do...with more luggage space. Perception on reliability to the non-imitated will be important there...
Old 03-07-2019, 11:49 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Mclaren wants a bona-fide 911 TT/s competitor is what they're really trying to do...with more luggage space. Perception on reliability to the non-imitated will be important there...
If Mac would have just gotten the proper electrical issues resolved with the 12c- this negative stigma of reliability would not be here.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:55 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
If Mac would have just gotten the proper electrical issues resolved with the 12c- this negative stigma of reliability would not be here.
A friend of mine had a 570s and a 720. Both had electrical issues and the 570 had a problem with the plastic on the radiator bursting. The radiator problem took the car out of commission for more than a month waiting on a part. I had another friend who did do a buyback because of electrical issues on a 570. I understand that these are anecdotal examples, but it basically sums up my entire experience/impression with McLaren and will continue to shape perception for a long time.

Also, these are Brit cars. Aren't they known for having bad electrical? Seems like McLaren is keeping the tradition alive!😉
Old 03-07-2019, 12:00 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
A friend of mine had a 570s and a 720. Both had electrical issues and the 570 had a problem with the plastic on the radiator bursting. The radiator problem took the car out of commission for more than a month waiting on a part. I had another friend who did do a buyback because of electrical issues on a 570. I understand that these are anecdotal examples, but it basically sums up my entire experience/impression with McLaren and will continue to shape perception for a long time.

Also, these are Brit cars. Aren't they known for having bad electrical? Seems like McLaren is keeping the tradition alive!😉
I get it but that has not been my experience at all. I have 3 other friends with 720s/600Lts all ranging in age from about 6 months (me) to about 16 months (720)- There have been no electrical or mechanical issues to speak of. So not discounting your friends experience but I personally have not experienced anything like that.

But then there was the whole thing about porsche GT engines catching on fire a while back...but thats a discussion for another thread. lol. What I mean to say is problems exist with virtually all manufacturers but yes, Mclaren does have that reliability stigma that kept me away for a while as well but so far have had no issues and the 720 keys are the ones I reach for anytime Im heading out.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:20 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

My 600LT has had no lights on at all, my 991.2 turbo S however has thrown a couple haha. Even the dealers will tell you Mclaren picked up the hell out of their QC around mid 2018 for all models...yes, some will have problems...as any manufacturer's car will, but they are noticeably better. The 570s overall have actually been pretty solid for most of their existence, but especially 2017/18 and up.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:24 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

Yeah and Porsche had a whole series of cars with engine issues - 991.1 GT3's (took 1-2 year to get to a good point for owners thanks in large part to some RL'ers RobMypro and Macca). Then there was the famous IMS/RMS issues. Then coolant pipes etc. No manufacturer is 100% clean. Am i worried about Mac reliability - yes. But seems like the 570/720 series and on are much better. Seems to be getting much better. Ferraris until the 430 era were kinda crappy. They're getting better. Lambo used to be crappy (from a reliability basis) until they got bought by VW.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:59 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

it seems i've only gotten to drive the SO's 570 Spider when it needed some sort of maintenance thing done.
3 times were related to getting PPF put on the car.
2 times were related to dropping off and picking up the car for an oil leak issue.

car has about 1500 miles on it since getting it back in late September.
i need to check the maintenance interval to see when i might get to drive it next.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:35 PM
NBoost
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by golem
Shooting brake in the works?

Would it come with kevlar heat shielded luggage? Dad! You just set mom's underwear on fire!
Old 03-07-2019, 02:44 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

yeah... so I have this friend, blah blah blah.

I had a friend who bought a 2015 GT3 and had to have the engine replaced. I think he was the only one though.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:49 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
yeah... so I have this friend, blah blah blah.

I had a friend who bought a 2015 GT3 and had to have the engine replaced. I think he was the only one though.
You missed the point. I never said anything about Porsche or other brands being better. All I said is that my limited experience with the brand has been tarnished. I was trying to give an example of how the impression of Mclarens having reliability problems persists. But thanks for your insightful input, it really added a lot to the discussion.

One thing that hasn't really been discussed is how long it often takes for McLaren to produce parts to fix the warranty issues. They may very well be doing better on the initial builds, but how are they improving the parts availability?
Old 03-07-2019, 02:57 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

You missed the point. I never said anything about Porsche or other brands being better. All I said is that my limited experience with the brand has been tarnished. I was trying to give an example of how the impression of Mclarens having reliability problems persists. But thanks for your insightful input, it really added a lot to the discussion.

One thing that hasn't really been discussed is how long it often takes for McLaren to produce parts to fix the warranty issues. They may very well be doing better on the initial builds, but how are they improving the parts availability?
I can't answer your question because I haven't had to bring in my car for any warranty issue.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:58 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

they now have a parts warehouse in the US so getting stuff overnight is a real possibility when its a clear cut parts issue.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success