McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 03:19 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by carrera911me
Keep a selfie stick in the car and attach badge to it as needed. prob solved.
Good solution for Nordschleife card reader too
Old 01-31-2019, 05:06 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Saru385
discovered another reason why McLarens are horrible:
low car + short arms = my SO having to get out of the car to trigger badge sensor to open gate at company parking lot! all while long line of cars waits behind her....

expecting video on Jalopnik or Insta shortly
Not just McLaren problem. I thoroughly embarrassed myself in 911 once - drove as close to the reader as possible to reach it, but it was too high to reach anyway. But I could not get out either because the door was practically pressed against the reader, and I could not back up because there was a car behind me.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:25 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Not just McLaren problem. I thoroughly embarrassed myself in 911 once - drove as close to the reader as possible to reach it, but it was too high to reach anyway. But I could not get out either because the door was practically pressed against the reader, and I could not back up because there was a car behind me.
Yep, happened a couple times in my ACR, exactly as you described. Lesson learned, no more drive through ATMs.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:31 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye

my 720 brake feel is similar. You have to push hard. I think that’s how they are.
Same for the 570S. You have to HAMMER THEM to get them to do what you want. And then they bite pretty hard. Completely different brake feel/pedal effort than any Porsche GT car or any Ferrari that I have driven.

Felt a little weird on the street but imagine it works nicely on the track.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:05 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Pulling a soda through a drive through window on a Senna is physically impossible.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:29 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,740 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Pulling a soda through a drive through window on a Senna is physically impossible.
#HumbleBrag
Old 02-01-2019, 02:48 AM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by forhamilton

Biggest issue for me on Mclaren is the rattles, Iris speed of startup and other interesting quirks and annoyances.

Porsche just always works. Fast. Reliable. Yet, not exotic.

I choose Mclaren and Porsche as my top cars all things considered. Porsche needs sex appeal improvement (outside of GT cars) and Mclaren needs real world improvement. So I’ll drive both for now and smile.

Just read this really, really long thread and will echo pretty much anything @C.J. Ichiban said.

And will echo this. As someone considering a 600LT and a 3RS, who has a ton of time in Porsche's GT cars and nearly none in McLaren world, my take on McLaren (based on a couple days in a loaner 570GT) would be as above.

In fact, the McLaren reminded me a lot of my Tesla. Forced, as a startup, to compete on insanely good interior material design Tesla simply decided to cheat and get rid of almost everything and dump it into a giant screen. I don't think anyone who owns a Tesla would argue the interior approaches that of a Porsche or BMW (try adjusting the temperature while driving on a bumpy road), but I also think most Tesla owners would say they love the car despite its quirks, rattles, and compromises (and there are absolutely some). The cars are obviously very different, but the interior of the McLaren immediately reminded me of the Tesla given how sparse it is and in the numerous ways it is inferior to say a GT3 RS which just feels a world apart. (I acknowledge some folks like and would always prefer sparse.)

The IRIS system (or whatever) on the McLaren sucks. Big time. The elctro-hydraulic steering pump makes a borderline awful whine. The nose lift is inexplicably buried in a menu you have to navigate using a steering wheel stalk, and takes 2x as long as Porsche. I found the IC graphics to be ... lame, like looking at Telsa's v1 UI design vs current. And so on.

All that said, For about $20k more than a well optioned 3RS I can get a 600LT that shoots flames!

Forgive the little boy in me, but ... um yeah. Flames. They shoot out the back, upward. Like, into the air. (I also tend to think it's going to be pretty stellar on the track.)

The 3RS is just not as exotic/special/different/whatever. When I parked the 570GT in my driveway (dark grey color, not even a skittles color!) some alarm bell went off and every boy in the neighborhood somehow got word, hopped on their bike, and started ringing my bell. My GT2 has been on the driveway countless times. Obviously, the same thing has never happened.

I think I am going to go 600LT and pair it with the GT2 and call it a day. But damn, this is been an excruciatingly difficult decision.

(If Senna's are burning how long until a flame shooting 600LT burns??? LOL)
Old 02-01-2019, 03:12 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting take on the 570S. Can you tell us how the steering compares? Some say the hydraulic assistance makes it feel like a Porsche pre 991?
Old 02-01-2019, 05:44 AM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by grendel88
Very true. A lot of reliability issues are due to scale of production. Mclaren electronics are always going to be sketchy, my 2017 570s had gremlins, because Mclaren does not source their systems from BMW, MB, or VW group, which have huge lineups of vehicles that use lost of similar components that have been market tested.
While I haven't owned a McLaren yet, I have put thousand + miles combined on a 720S, 650S, and throw in a couple of test drives of a 570S and 600LT. So far, I'm 4/4 of experience electrical problems during my time in the McLaren car. The 570S tester I was in had it's first electrical issue the moment I started the car (IRIS was failing to boot).

Reliability is a genuine concern for me with McLaren, especially when all my other cars have been ultra reliable. With that said, this concern did not stop me from ordering a 600LT!
Old 02-01-2019, 08:35 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLCOMM
Just read this really, really long thread and will echo pretty much anything @C.J. Ichiban said.

And will echo this. As someone considering a 600LT and a 3RS, who has a ton of time in Porsche's GT cars and nearly none in McLaren world, my take on McLaren (based on a couple days in a loaner 570GT) would be as above.

In fact, the McLaren reminded me a lot of my Tesla. Forced, as a startup, to compete on insanely good interior material design Tesla simply decided to cheat and get rid of almost everything and dump it into a giant screen. I don't think anyone who owns a Tesla would argue the interior approaches that of a Porsche or BMW (try adjusting the temperature while driving on a bumpy road), but I also think most Tesla owners would say they love the car despite its quirks, rattles, and compromises (and there are absolutely some). The cars are obviously very different, but the interior of the McLaren immediately reminded me of the Tesla given how sparse it is and in the numerous ways it is inferior to say a GT3 RS which just feels a world apart. (I acknowledge some folks like and would always prefer sparse.)

The IRIS system (or whatever) on the McLaren sucks. Big time. The elctro-hydraulic steering pump makes a borderline awful whine. The nose lift is inexplicably buried in a menu you have to navigate using a steering wheel stalk, and takes 2x as long as Porsche. I found the IC graphics to be ... lame, like looking at Telsa's v1 UI design vs current. And so on.

All that said, For about $20k more than a well optioned 3RS I can get a 600LT that shoots flames!

Forgive the little boy in me, but ... um yeah. Flames. They shoot out the back, upward. Like, into the air. (I also tend to think it's going to be pretty stellar on the track.)

The 3RS is just not as exotic/special/different/whatever. When I parked the 570GT in my driveway (dark grey color, not even a skittles color!) some alarm bell went off and every boy in the neighborhood somehow got word, hopped on their bike, and started ringing my bell. My GT2 has been on the driveway countless times. Obviously, the same thing has never happened.

I think I am going to go 600LT and pair it with the GT2 and call it a day. But damn, this is been an excruciatingly difficult decision.

(If Senna's are burning how long until a flame shooting 600LT burns??? LOL)
All based on subjective view. Porsche is still a Porsche. Market has spoken on that also. Quality and resale bloodbath have me balking on Macs.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:12 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

All based on subjective view. Porsche is still a Porsche. Market has spoken on that also. Quality and resale bloodbath have me balking on Macs.
Agree
Old 02-01-2019, 09:36 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
Interesting take on the 570S. Can you tell us how the steering compares? Some say the hydraulic assistance makes it feel like a Porsche pre 991?
The 570 steering is very different than GT3.
It is more tactile (you feel little pebbles and such)
It is lighter than GT3
It builds steering effort more gradually and subtly than GT3 (GT3 has more caster)
Feels delicate, like the 570s does itself.
Has good "straight ahead" tracking.
Need some heat in the tires before the "full feel" is noticed. If driven slowly and casually, it feels a it dull.
I felt like my 570 steering was a 9 out of 10 on the scale-o-meter of joy.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:39 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Agree
If you think positively, the bloodbath helps you. You can get a pristine 570 for $70,000 of list that is only a year old.
The depreciation slows quite a bit after that. Just make sure it has a warranty for every single day you own it!! :-)
Old 02-01-2019, 10:32 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Macs are very nice cars, but couldn't agree more.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Old 02-01-2019, 01:29 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

All based on subjective view.
You should check out recall/manufacture/customer complaints on NHTSA website sometime. The real data would show that Porsche has the most problems of ferrari/mac/lambo by a very, very wide margin.

If people want to buy then they'll find a reason to buy. If they don't want to buy then they'll find a reason to not buy.

Depends what ones mindset is.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success