Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 02:03 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
Is it just me, or does anyone else see the alarming and spooky similarity between the digression of this thread and the infamous story, "Lord of the Flies?" It's giving me the freaking creeps.

Everyone's fighting, trying to establish order and civility from the despair of depreciation, possible financial ruin and the self-destruction of our own temptations and vices. Then - just when everyone plunges into savagery, we are presented with grandiose pictures of family vacations, and exotic cars surrounded by mansions and Christmas lights: a perfectly parallel tribute to the symbolism portrayed by the conch shell in "Lord of the Flies." The conch shell symbolized law and order, and everyone found refuge from the chaos when the conch shell was raised. Uploading these family vacation pictures was no different... we were trying to change the subject before we slipped into chaos and had a stark reminder that our inner demons are merely lurking in our own shadows. It is easy to see we are all savages masquerading under the thin veil of temporary civility.

This was as dark and as spooky as anything posted on Rennlist this year, including the episode when Martin went full Kafkaesque on us earlier this summer.
Thanks Debbie Downer for derailing the thread once again.

Good lord its it’s a freaking car and a discussion thread about cars and we have Longfellow here analyzing everyone.

christ. I need a break.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:09 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Is it just me, or does anyone else see the alarming and spooky similarity between the digression of this thread and the infamous story, "Lord of the Flies?" It's giving me the freaking creeps.

Everyone's fighting, trying to establish order and civility from the despair of depreciation, possible financial ruin and the self-destruction of our own temptations and vices. Then - just when everyone plunges into savagery, we are presented with grandiose pictures of family vacations, and exotic cars surrounded by mansions and Christmas lights: a perfectly parallel tribute to the symbolism portrayed by the conch shell in "Lord of the Flies." The conch shell symbolized law and order, and everyone found refuge from the chaos when the conch shell was raised. Uploading these family vacation pictures was no different... we were trying to change the subject before we slipped into chaos and had a stark reminder that our inner demons are merely lurking in our own shadows. It is easy to see we are all savages masquerading under the thin veil of temporary civility.

This was as dark and as spooky as anything posted on Rennlist this year, including the episode when Martin went full Kafkaesque on us earlier this summer.
That is pretty dark, buddy.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:10 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I still have yet to find a car that's put a smile on my face like the 600lt...took it out again last night, and the flames are SO major, and the speed is just beyond.
https://youtu.be/4jj5f-AXQMM
Okay that is awesome.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:17 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

Okay that is awesome.
As far as I'm concerned, thats all this thread should be about! Drive the things!
Old 12-23-2018, 02:20 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

As far as I'm concerned, thats all this thread should be about! Drive the things!
agree!!
Old 12-23-2018, 02:30 PM
mike.baa
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I still have yet to find a car that's put a smile on my face like the 600lt...took it out again last night, and the flames are SO major, and the speed is just beyond.

https://youtu.be/4jj5f-AXQMM
I think that alone would make the car worthwhile. Jebus.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:51 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mike.baa
I think that alone would make the car worthwhile. Jebus.
Primal fascination with fire.....It’s all fitting into place and makes perfect sense. My only mistake was not incorporating Joseph Conrad’s epic novella “Heart of Darkness.”
Old 12-23-2018, 03:03 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Love what McLaren is doing, my supercar fantasy was always the f1. I did some work in woking as the 12c was nearing launch and seeing the teams assembling new road cars down the hall from the f1 cars was really next level. The ethos with which McLaren approaches their cars is so completely different from Porsche I almost feel like you need to understand the philosophy to appreciate the cars. I'm also a massive fan of the current cars, they really feel like one or two generations beyond their competitors, but I'm a luddite and for now still prefer a manual transmission and an na engine.

What I like (liked?) about this thread was being able to read McLaren experiences from the perspective of folks who also appreciate GT cars and might have a more track centric and dare I say practical perspective as far as really driving these cars. The 600lt in particular is a car I was waiting for since I test drove a 570s a year ago, hope to hear some more reviews and comparisons from GT car owners. the value discussion is a downer.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:11 PM
zim32
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckard
Fascinating discussion! I've always told myself that if I have to worry about depreciation, I shouldn't buy new.

With that said--I'm seeing used 675LT coupes for a little under $300k, and lightly used 720S models hovering around $320-330k. For those who have driven both: is the 720S worth the premium?
I own a 675LT coupe and have approx. 6k miles on it. Drove a 720s for about 200 miles and would chose the 675 even if they were priced the same!!
Old 12-23-2018, 03:27 PM
kkabba
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
Love what McLaren is doing, my supercar fantasy was always the f1. I did some work in woking as the 12c was nearing launch and seeing the teams assembling new road cars down the hall from the f1 cars was really next level. The ethos with which McLaren approaches their cars is so completely different from Porsche I almost feel like you need to understand the philosophy to appreciate the cars. I'm also a massive fan of the current cars, they really feel like one or two generations beyond their competitors, but I'm a luddite and for now still prefer a manual transmission and an na engine.

What I like (liked?) about this thread was being able to read McLaren experiences from the perspective of folks who also appreciate GT cars and might have a more track centric and dare I say practical perspective as far as really driving these cars. The 600lt in particular is a car I was waiting for since I test drove a 570s a year ago, hope to hear some more reviews and comparisons from GT car owners. the value discussion is a downer.
McLaren 600LT Evo’s COTY - 2nd year in a row McLaren takes the crown. Happy they are getting their recognition.

Surprised that the 675LT missed out back in 2015/2016 though.

EVO car of the year - 600LT
Old 12-23-2018, 03:45 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Primal fascination with fire.....It’s all fitting into place and makes perfect sense. My only mistake was not incorporating Joseph Conrad’s epic novella “Heart of Darkness.”
i say this sincerely and with respect. Just go away. It’s a bunch of dudes wanting to talk about cars and you people keep coming and pissing on the campfire with your analysis.

seriously- go away- find another thread to comment on.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:46 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zim32
I own a 675LT coupe and have approx. 6k miles on it. Drove a 720s for about 200 miles and would chose the 675 even if they were priced the same!!
have head a lot of people say the same. 675 is a beast. Looking forward to driving one soon.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:58 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Go to Cars.com - the REAL marketplace with real buyers and sellers.
But hardly a real measure of market prices. There are over 100 '16 GT3 RS's on Cars.com at the moment ranging from $165k-$299k ask. Actual selling prices??? Far better to look at recent auction results, both industry and retail to get a sense of true market.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:06 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye

i say this sincerely and with respect. Just go away. It’s a bunch of dudes wanting to talk about cars and you people keep coming and pissing on the campfire with your analysis.

seriously- go away- find another thread to comment on.
Agree, love reading about Porsche's and love reading about Mac's on our Porsche forum (one stop shop), but the negativity from some folks is miserable....Back to positivity...

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Festivus and Happy Holidays to all!!
Old 12-23-2018, 06:43 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts

Got to take the 600LT for a test drive 2 days ago.

So far, the only Mclaren reference I have is a 720S, on which I put about 550 spirited miles on. Also drove a 570S a tiny bit. I enjoyed the ease of driving and easily accessible performance of the 720S, but ultimately I found it a bit too tame and sterile.

Gotta say, I was really impressed with the 600LT. It was only a 15 mile drive with some mountain twisties, so I wasn't pushing it, but immediately I could feel its increased engagement. The steering feels far better than a 991 GT3, and the sound is pretty good too. Definitely the best turbocharged exhaust note in my opinion. My dealership luckily had 2 chicane greys in the showroom about to receive delivery. One had all the carbon fiber exterior options, the other had none. While in pictures, the two would look very similar, in person, the one full of carbon fiber really looks superior. The LT without any carbon fiber struck me as a bit odd, like it was missing something.

A couple of negatives from the test drive: once again I was reminded about how slow Mclaren's front lifter is. Expect a lift and reduction duration of double that of the Porsche. It's noticeably longer than Ferrari lift systems as well. Also, in my short drive of the 600LT, I already experienced one electrical bug. The turn signal was glitchy and was blinking at like 3x the correct rate. It then sent a "light bulb failure" message to the dash. So far, every Mclaren I've driven has had at least one electrical issue during my time in them. I guess it just goes with the territory.

Also, since it seems everyone cares about depreciation, my dealership did already have four 600LT cars on the showroom floor. 2 pre-sold, 1 demo, and 1 inventory. They also said one car has already been taken home by a customer. Seems to me an indication of a higher capacity production run. Personally, I would bet that the 600LT will depreciate just like the 675LT did.

That's not dissuading me from keeping my order. I'm still eagerly looking forward to mine in February. I plan on keeping it as a track and weekend car until hopefully I can get my hands on a 991.2 GT3.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success