Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Old 12-22-2018, 07:18 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
You guys are amazing. Touting McClaren’s on a Porsche forum. CJ, I suspect most people who bought RS’s paid little or no ADM on them. Most went to a dealers best customers at MSRP. Also a 488 is not wobbly. I own one and have a bunch of track experience. I personally wouldn’t touch a McClaren with a 10 pole. To each their own.
Has it somehow jumped to 4/1?
Old 12-22-2018, 08:35 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by KINGSRULE
I wouldn't touch a McClaren either
the two c's version is taiwanese and built on a boxster chassis
Old 12-22-2018, 08:37 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The Taiwanese Perrari is much better. Not "wobbly" at all.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:45 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 151 Posts

The point is the same.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:55 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hf1
You missed my point. The "employee" is the $100k wad itself --- not the human you'd pay with the wad to work for you. The scenarios you described only confirm the superiority of the $100k wad as an "employee" vs a living, breathing person.
no I got your point, I was saying that the wad is more important than the employee!
Old 12-22-2018, 09:03 PM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
It’s a good post by you but it doesn’t answer my question. I was hoping for a link to a car that’s few months old that’s 100k off msrp. Since most macs are in the 350k range new, that would be a 250k car msrp.

im dead serious. Please provide a link as it would be a good buy at that price.

Thx
Maybe yours will be soon for sale at this price
Old 12-22-2018, 09:13 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfmobil
Maybe yours will be soon for sale at this price
so now you are hoping that prices come to where you said they already are. In other words, there is no car that is 100k below msrp and a few months old and you just made it up.. Ok got it. Thx.

lf I do decide to sell, I’ll let you know for sure. But I’m enjoying my ride a tad too much at the moment so doubtful I’m selling the car anytime soon but hey, you never know. Just make sure you have funds ready to for an easy transaction as I’ll have title in hand to transfer.

cheers and enjoy your day.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:30 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

there were a few posts deleted but i posted something about the residual values- basically the 36 month residual on the 600LT is 63% for 15,000 miles (5k/yr)

if you compare that to a 911 Turbo S it's a lot better. Turbo S is below 50%.

Porsche lease is just a bad deal then. If you buy a 2019 Turbo S at $200K, you cant tell me it will be "worth" $100K in 3 years. Even 2014's aren't that low.

Maybe Mac just has a better lease deal - seems like they'd be the opposite way around (when compared to Porsche). Although I suspect a 600LT will hold value better than almost any run of the mill Macs that have come before (read 650S, 12C, etc.)
Old 12-22-2018, 09:35 PM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

so now you are hoping that prices come to where you said they already are. In other words, there is no car that is 100k below msrp and a few months old and you just made it up.. Ok got it. Thx.

lf I do decide to sell, I’ll let you know for sure. But I’m enjoying my ride a tad too much at the moment so doubtful I’m selling the car anytime soon but hey, you never know. Just make sure you have funds ready to for an easy transaction as I’ll have title in hand to transfer.

cheers and enjoy your day.
I don't want your car. I'm happy with my Honda Accord.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:36 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wolfmobil
I don't want your car. I'm happy with my Honda Accord.
drive it in good health and enjoy your day.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:03 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rodsky
Porsche lease is just a bad deal then. If you buy a 2019 Turbo S at $200K, you cant tell me it will be "worth" $100K in 3 years. Even 2014's aren't that low.

Maybe Mac just has a better lease deal - seems like they'd be the opposite way around (when compared to Porsche). Although I suspect a 600LT will hold value better than almost any run of the mill Macs that have come before (read 650S, 12C, etc.)
the real situation comes down to the following simple situation- porsche knows all of their GT cars are going to sell themselves, and other than the GT2RS at 325-360k...most are very affordable in comparison to the amount of buyers that are out there.

McLaren, Ferrari, Lambo, Rolls, Bentley, Aston Martin all have cars that have base prices around/ over 300k and end up into CGT territory (meaning 500-600k-700k with exception of Bentley who top out around 450) eventually for special editions or whatever.

There is heavy conversation with all manufacturers when it comes down to Content, BASE pricing, financing, etc - with financing and leasing being such a heavy factor- companies like McLaren are better off spending on getting best banking relationships vs getting a superbowl advert.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:07 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Why do you assume there is animosity when I’m simply making an observation. The people that tend to complain the most about depreciation are the ones that are likely shopping for cars out of their means.

hyperbolic numbers such as 100k a year in losses are simply distractions to change the subject. 720 is an 18 month old car and you are seeing 10-20% depreciation numbers which is in line with most cars.

Not a single Mclaren owner I know (and I’ve gotten to know plenty) cares about it. It’s the cost of doing business. Between my cars I’ve lost 6 figures more than likely. It is what it is. I’m on vacation with family overseas. That’s money I’ll hever get back but memories for a lifetime. Everything I get in one of my cars I have a mini vacation.

Ive said it before and I’ll say it again- All these cars depreciate. You will lose money on them. If that bothers you simply don’t purchase. But we don’t need to hear over and over again made up numbers to try to make a point.

Cheers.
I didn’t quote any depreciation figures without substantiation; I posted a 675LT recently with a $401k sticker that was sitting at a dealer in Atlanta asking $239k with 48XX miles.

The have since brought the price UP to $242k:

https://www.selectluxury.com/VDP-201...LT--c-2593.htm

Over $30/mile in depreciation alone.

I smoked a cigar today with a friend and his father, who is worth well into 9 figures. He has a 991 C4 Cab -next planned purchase is a Subaru.

We should start a fresh poll thread called "most essential discretionary income budget line items"
Tobacco, as you know
Old 12-22-2018, 10:10 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

Seems like Mac bashers all gravitate to depreciation and " i heard they are unreliable". Then looks are subjective. However, i happen to like the 720S and definitely the 600LT. The 720S is amazing and its crazy fast and somehow "liveable". I feel that in the more exotic department and slightly harder cars, Mac 600LT and Lambo (Performante) would be at the top of my list. I dont feel the GT3RS is a competitor. Thats not a knock. Its a small notch down. Maybe GT3/RS is more reliable, easier to track, hold its value, not as "flashy". So its more affordable (outlay and running costs to include depreciation) and more under the radar. But if you want a step up/ exotic - you have to pay to play. Dont play if it will affect your lifestyle or if you cant afford it (some depreciation). Just like Fastmd says. If you can afford it (like private travel) - then its definitely the way to go. If you start to try and justify the expense vs business class, then you really cant play. BTW, i am nowhere close to affording private travel - so i would be the one basing it, just like others here are bashing Mac's for depreciation.

I am really drawn to the 600LT but have a similar car for now. In a year or two when the ADD kicks in, i would consider a 600LT or a GT3/RS to replace the Perf.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:37 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guest89

I didn’t quote any depreciation figures without substantiation; I posted a 675LT recently with a $401k sticker that was sitting at a dealer in Atlanta asking $239k with 48XX miles.

The have since brought the price UP to $242k:

https://www.selectluxury.com/VDP-201...LT--c-2593.htm

Over $30/mile in depreciation alone.

I smoked a cigar today with a friend and his father, who is worth well into 9 figures. He has a 991 C4 Cab -next planned purchase is a Subaru.
I or any Mac owners here do not argue the fact that Maclarens depreciate. Never have said that. What the owners are saying and the non owners for some reason refuse to believe is that we are all well aware of the depreciation and budget the purchase accordingly.

But it seems you and others are on a mission to save us from ourselves for some reason. I’m a big boy- I know what I paid for the car and I know what I’ll get when I sell it.

I’m glad you enjoyed the cigar with your friends father. I just flew private plane across the country with a buddy of mine who sold 3 companies and is also worth 9 figures. He has a gt3, 488 spider and several other cars.

im not sure the point you are trying to make. People spend money on things they want. Many people without means love cars. Plenty of billionaires out there who could give a rats *** about what car they drive. Sam Walton drive a pick up truck.

my suggestion to you and Honda boy is to start a new thread on cars that depreciate and the financially folly of those that buy them. Let the rest of us discuss everything else about the cars we enjoy and drive other than the cost.

cheers.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:05 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Seems like Mac bashers all gravitate to depreciation and " i heard they are unreliable". Then looks are subjective. However, i happen to like the 720S and definitely the 600LT. The 720S is amazing and its crazy fast and somehow "liveable". I feel that in the more exotic department and slightly harder cars, Mac 600LT and Lambo (Performante) would be at the top of my list. I dont feel the GT3RS is a competitor. Thats not a knock. Its a small notch down. Maybe GT3/RS is more reliable, easier to track, hold its value, not as "flashy". So its more affordable (outlay and running costs to include depreciation) and more under the radar. But if you want a step up/ exotic - you have to pay to play. Dont play if it will affect your lifestyle or if you cant afford it (some depreciation). Just like Fastmd says. If you can afford it (like private travel) - then its definitely the way to go. If you start to try and justify the expense vs business class, then you really cant play. BTW, i am nowhere close to affording private travel - so i would be the one basing it, just like others here are bashing Mac's for depreciation.

I am really drawn to the 600LT but have a similar car for now. In a year or two when the ADD kicks in, i would consider a 600LT or a GT3/RS to replace the Perf.
Nope. I disagree. I see 3RS and 600LT on the same level and believe the RS is a better car. Many as do I would pick the RS over the 600LT and I do like the LT. Yes, the LT has more power and improved over the 570 S but its TT. Merely having a higher msrp doesn’t automatically put you a notch above at least in my book. A year or so from now .2 3RSs will likely be selling for more than LTs. Many head to head comparisons between the 3RS and 2RS had the 3RS being preferred even though the 2RS was faster. It’s more than just power in the end. The 3RS is that good despite being 160hp down vis a vis the 2RS. If the 3RS is being picked over the 2RS by the likes of Evo anyone telling me the 600LT is better than the 3RS is blowing smoke up my ****. Sorry. Not buying it. No doubt the LT is a beautiful car and great performer.

The Mac is cool. Yes. However, a Porsche is a Porsche is a Porsche and yes.. an RS is an RS. Further the RS has more than enough presence to match the LT in my eyes. Easy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: McLaren Success