McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 10:08 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

I LOVE the Perf!!!!!

Was going to trade/sell my 2005 Ford GT recently for one but in the end what’s stopping me is I know I would be trading an appreciating asset for a depreciating asset. I would feel stupid and it would be an accurate feeling.

I like the 600LT but the Perf is the cats meow and I believe will retain value better than the Mac.

I dont chit money like some big ballers here. Work too hard for what I have. While I understand most cars depreciate I try to buy cars that depreciate less like Porsches. Cars don’t need to be expensive for me to love them. Some inexpensive cars by Rennlist standards provide me lots of enjoyment and have held their value exceptionally. My Boss 302LS and 987 Spyder are perfect examples

Performante and 600lt won't be THAT different value wise at the end of the day, so that would be a car vs car vs a value thread.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

If McLaren would only start building their own engines, it might help minimize the rate of depreciation.

Right now, the guys at Woking are popping our cars like Champagne bottles at a wedding party. To put it bluntly, it just feels like they're building a new slightly modified chassis every year and then just dropping in a Ricardo engine.

Once they get full funding and start R&D on their own powertrain along with their partnership with BMW AG, it might stem the tide of "every year, new model" mantra.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 12-22-2018 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:24 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89

Why all this animosity toward people you don’t know that you assume can’t afford a McLaren?

Why don’t you have an F1, P1, Senna? Out of your budget?
Why do you assume there is animosity when I’m simply making an observation. The people that tend to complain the most about depreciation are the ones that are likely shopping for cars out of their means.

hyperbolic numbers such as 100k a year in losses are simply distractions to change the subject. 720 is an 18 month old car and you are seeing 10-20% depreciation numbers which is in line with most cars.

Not a single Mclaren owner I know (and I’ve gotten to know plenty) cares about it. It’s the cost of doing business. Between my cars I’ve lost 6 figures more than likely. It is what it is. I’m on vacation with family overseas. That’s money I’ll hever get back but memories for a lifetime. Everything I get in one of my cars I have a mini vacation.

Ive said it before and I’ll say it again- All these cars depreciate. You will lose money on them. If that bothers you simply don’t purchase. But we don’t need to hear over and over again made up numbers to try to make a point.

Cheers.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:38 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt

not really interested in $50,000 in Carbon add on’s.That is how you lose $80,000 in one yr of depreciation. What I would like to order is a base car with no carbon for about $225k ??????
base price of the car is 240k, I think. I’m out of the country so am going off the top of my head.Minimal options and you are in the 270k range for a decently equipped car.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:41 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

what’s lost in all this childish b.s. is that mclaren builds an awesome car. I’ve had zero issues with mine. It’s fast as hell, comfortable for daily use and has amazing handling. Is this a forum about cars and admiring performance and style or just about bitching about depreciation? I’m sure that when y’all on your deathbeds you’ll be reminiscing about the lack of depreciation on your GT cars. Something to look forward to!
Old 12-22-2018, 12:41 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wolfmobil
The cars I mentioned are barely few months old. After a year and 6-10 track days there's your $100k.

And ouch. You hit me so hard with Honda Accord. I'm gonna crawl back to my Honda hole now.
please share a link to a few month old 720 that is 100k off msrp. Tracked car is fine. I’d like to purchase one for my business partner. Thank you.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:43 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by moab
what’s lost in all this childish b.s. is that mclaren builds an awesome car. I’ve had zero issues with mine. It’s fast as hell, comfortable for daily use and has amazing handling. Is this a forum about cars and admiring performance and style or just about bitching about depreciation? I’m sure that when y’all on your deathbeds you’ll be reminiscing about the lack of depreciation on your GT cars. Something to look forward to!
amen brother! Amen!!!

ive share the story before- I have 2 other friends with 720s. One car is over a year old. Another 8 months- mine coming up on 3 months I think.

zero issues. None. Nada. Zilch in terms of reliability and problems. The 12c has problems. The newer Mclarens, they seem to be fairly bulletproof like other exotics.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:04 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

This is a good read on the evolution of McLarens

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/29847...0s-comparison/
Old 12-22-2018, 01:50 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This is a good read on the evolution of McLarens

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/29847...0s-comparison/
very good and to the point.

the talk about reliability and depreciation was very valid with the 12c and then with the 650 as well. But 720 is in a different league.

thx for the link.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:18 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye

please share a link to a few month old 720 that is 100k off msrp. Tracked car is fine. I’d like to purchase one for my business partner. Thank you.
See here is the issue. If your your statement is not just some glib comment and u are really r in a position to go out and just buy a $400k car for a business partner then taking a $100k hit in depreciation is no biggie for you. That’s great. Kudos.

People lose sight of relativity. People achieve different levels of success whether through brains, talent or luck or a combination. Like C.J. said GT cars are more affordable to more guys because they are not in that $400k range. Fewer guys around who can or are willing to plunk down $400k+ on a toy to drive for 3 hrs at C&C. Similarly, Corvettes and Mustangs are again more affordable to more again which is why there are more of them. Makes sense. Resale value is also a huge factor in affordability for many.

The past is the best predictor of the future in most cases. Macs past as to many issues is well..not good. When the current eventually becomes the past and things improve my comfort level spending $300k on one will change.

I can buy a beautiful 675LT under $300k now and probably around $275k. New not more than 2 years ago weren’t they $400k+? Yeah, I think so.

Some can’t take take that kind of hit and stay in that level of new car every 2-3 years which requires going back to the well for another $100k. Maybe for a guy who can just buy a 720s for his partner for Xmas it’s no big deal but for a lot of guys it’s huge.

For me losing $25k to $30k on a Porsche GT car is not a big deal every few years. To the guy who lives in Findern down the Mountain that would be huge.

I love Macs. Just not going to buy one new and watch $100k evaporate in 2 to 3 years. Since there are guys that don’t care about setting a match to $100k I’ll wait and buy their 600LT for $200k or less next Spring when Mac comes out with the next latest and greatest.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:28 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

See here is the issue. If your your statement is not just some glib comment and u are really r in a position to go out and just buy a $400k car for a business partner then taking a $100k hit in depreciation is no biggie for you. That’s great. Kudos.

People lose sight of relativity. People achieve different levels of success whether through brains, talent or luck or a combination. Like C.J. said GT cars are more affordable to more guys because they are not in that $400k range. Fewer guys around who can or are willing to plunk down $400k+ on a toy to drive for 3 hrs at C&C. Similarly, Corvettes and Mustangs are again more affordable to more again which is why there are more of them. Makes sense.

The past is the best predictor of the future in most cases. Macs past as to many issues is well..not good. When the current eventually becomes the past and things improve my comfort level spending $300k on one will change.

I can buy a beautiful 675LT under $300k now and probably around $275k. New not more than 2 years ago weren’t they $400k+? Yeah, I think so.

Some can’t take take that kind of hit and stay in that level of new car every 2-3 years which requires going back to the well for another $100k. Maybe for a guy who can just buy a 720s for his partner for Xmas it’s no big deal but for a lot of guys it’s huge.

For me losing $25k to $30k on a Porsche GT car is not a big deal every few years. To the guy who lives in Findern down the Mountain that would be huge.

I love Macs. Just not going to buy one new and watch $100k evaporate in 2 to 3 years. Since there are guys that don’t care about setting a match to $100k I’ll wait and buy their 600LT for $200k or less next Spring when Mac comes out with the next latest and greatest.
It’s a good post by you but it doesn’t answer my question. I was hoping for a link to a car that’s few months old that’s 100k off msrp. Since most macs are in the 350k range new, that would be a 250k car msrp.

im dead serious. Please provide a link as it would be a good buy at that price.

Thx
Old 12-22-2018, 05:14 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

It’s a good post by you but it doesn’t answer my question. I was hoping for a link to a car that’s few months old that’s 100k off msrp. Since most macs are in the 350k range new, that would be a 250k car msrp.

im dead serious. Please provide a link as it would be a good buy at that price.

Thx
I didn’t say in a few months. 2 to 3 years yes. 18 months maybe.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:29 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

I didn’t say in a few months. 2 to 3 years yes. 18 months maybe.

please go back and reread the thread. A claim was made that a car few months old, tracked a few times would result in a loss of 100k. I’m looking for this unicorn. Thx
Old 12-22-2018, 09:09 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

please go back and reread the thread. A claim was made that a car few months old, tracked a few times would result in a loss of 100k. I’m looking for this unicorn. Thx
I read that. No car I know of depreciated $100k in 3 months.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:01 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

It’s really simple. There are just guys that don’t like Mclarens. I understand the depreciation point. But higher the cost the more it depreciates usually, except for some unicorns.

Waxer, I love the 05-06 Ford GT, I owned one, my brother still does. But they are pretty much at the same level for the past few years. I sold my gulf color GT for $450K to high end dealer 3 years ago. He sold it for the same price 2 months ago. He asked me to buy it back.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success