McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 10:22 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

Just as an FYI to all of you track-junkie McLaren owners and fans, our Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kit is in production for the 720S. While the OEM system is a nice road car setup produced by AP Racing, our Radi-CAL system is a different can of worms for track use. Our McLaren setup is nearly identical to our 991 GT3 Radi-CAL system that you can read about here. Obviously it will be bespoke to the McLaren however, with custom adapter brackets and hats, and pistons sized properly for seamless integration on the vehicle. The rear parking brake will also remain fully functional. FYI, we'll also be measuring some other McLaren models to see if our system is backward compatible. If you have any interest in the ultimate racing brake setup for your car, feel free to PM or email us. Thanks.

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 09-05-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:00 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone know if there will be a Senna tested by Randy Pobst at Motor Trend or Car & Driver's Lightning Lap this year? And yes, I know about Car & Driver's non-professional drivers...
Old 09-05-2018, 07:06 PM
TopspeedPT
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Old 09-05-2018, 08:13 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

ok WHOA.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:56 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The Senna will be ridiculously fast everywhere. I can't wait to take mine to Thunderhill. T1, the entry to T2, the kink on the back, and the brakes...woo baby.

Best senna tracks for breaking lap records:

COTA: will carousel be flat?

Road America: will kink be flat?

Sebring: knock your teeth out

Watkins Glen: uphill Esses definitely flat, bus stop entry code brown 100%

Chuckwalla: will definitely be faster than my 1:52 in the viper acr.

I think IF they can get Kenny Brack or somebody legit on the ring it will do a 6:30
Don't forget T1 and T10 and Sonoma. Big power makes them scary, big aero makes them fast. Both power and aero at the same time should make them scary fast :-)
Old 09-05-2018, 11:27 PM
kingjr9000
Racer

Looks like the basic 720s is sub-7 at the ring. Quote from mclife:

We will post the fast lap video this fall for sure. The blue car in the video above is I believe a Mclaren car, it’s out often and seems to reside at the ring. We’ve had our taxi as suspected here a lot faster than the one linked above;-) I have to be careful w videos as we are a Nürburgring License Partner and without media rights before shooting the footage we can get in some trouble for sharing videos. McLaren has also asked us not to do a lap record attempt w our car. In respect to them we have not made that a goal... however... fast laps sometimes happen while out having fun.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:20 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kingjr9000
Looks like the basic 720s is sub-7 at the ring. Quote from mclife:

Can i have the link of the mclaren life post? That sounds like some BIG BS. No one does 7:25 to 7:45 and out of nowhere does a 6:58. Brake excuse is another even bigger BS, nurburgring is not very hard on brakes at all. Then you have the gt2 rs's that do low 7 to 7:20 laps all day with traffic. A 7:40 has to be a full track and yellow flag, basically a write-off lap.
The only person I would trust a bit more if he was the one writing this would be the owner of Apex.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:31 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
Can i have the link of the mclaren life post? That sounds like some BIG BS. No one does 7:25 to 7:45 and out of nowhere does a 6:58. Brake excuse is another even bigger BS, nurburgring is not very hard on brakes at all. Then you have the gt2 rs's that do low 7 to 7:20 laps all day with traffic. A 7:40 has to be a full track and yellow flag, basically a write-off lap.
The only person I would trust a bit more if he was the one writing this would be the owner of Apex.
If I had to guess, I would say Robert Mitchell of Apex wrote that. Makes sense to not push it 100% for taxi laps.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:52 AM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

ha ha. that text was to me as part of a long chain of what to do with the brake pads for the 720s... (and this is a screen shot the poster took from my instagram stories) and it is written to me by robert from apex. He explained a little bit here after it started to get a little traction from people who saw it in my instagram stories:

​​​​​​https://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/m...ap-rumour.html
Old 09-06-2018, 01:39 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

over the length of that track, 25-40 seconds isn't that much relatively speaking and if you're holding back...would make a ton of sense. I bet the 720 is every bit that quick.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:08 PM
kingjr9000
Racer

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
ha ha. that text was to me as part of a long chain of what to do with the brake pads for the 720s... (and this is a screen shot the poster took from my instagram stories) and it is written to me by robert from apex. He explained a little bit here after it started to get a little traction from people who saw it in my instagram stories:

​​​​​​https://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/m...ap-rumour.html
Aha! I knew it was you from your first post. Nice to see you over here as well. In case you didn't know, I'm the who first saw the IG story and posted it to GCF, they Mycroft saw it and the rest is history. Oh, and late welcome aboard.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:34 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

I'll just leave this here....

Old 09-07-2018, 08:33 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
I'll just leave this here....

The next $6 million I have to burn and that car will be mine.
McLaren of Boston has a Senna in their shop and I think it will be there for a few days. Green visible carbon fiber body with white interior. I think it has about 800K in MSO options. White interior would not be my choice. It does have the Senna seats. I was allowed to try the seats out. Seat was all the way back and I got stabbed in the back by the shoulder bolster getting in, and had to fold my left leg with my hand to get that in. Once in I was very comfortable and fit perfectly, supported perfectly. 6 foot and 215 pounds in my birthday suit. I suppose I could learn to get in fluidly, but getting out would take a lot of time, weight loss, and yoga lessons to master. I def did not look cool getting out. The strut that opens the door needs to be powered so you can grab the handle and the door pulls you out as it opens.
Opening part of side windows is very small. Your extra large lattie will need to be turned sideways at the drive through. Forget about crawling out of it though.
They had to move it in the service bay for PPF and the sound was awesome, and active wing did move when the car slowed to a stop.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:56 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Hmmmm. Might have to go take a peak.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:54 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by DainLankfordLA
I've started to look at 720s now that depreciation is kicking in.

One sold the other week $390k sticker for $305. Starting to see many of these go for under $300k which is what I thought would happen. Doesn't take away from them being good cars and one I'll have in the garage at some point this year.
Hard to pass up a 720s with million dollar performance at $300k! consider these are the last of the IC mclarens before they all go hybrid. I can't imagine the Senna losing value though, it is a such a defining hypercar.. I expect P1's to drop before that does.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success