Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 11:23 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by NBoost
MSRP starts at 840 or so, lord knows what people are actually paying for them. Given the experience the car provides I would imagine there are guys out there that would pay nearly anything to get one.
there are guys who would pay 997RS 4.0 sized ADMS
Old 08-29-2018, 01:19 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

So no MSRP CJ?! What is McLaren doing? Becoming Porsche and Ferrari! I assume it's a 900-1 mil. with options and you can't get one unless you are willing to pay $1.2-1.5? 500 copies correct?
Old 08-29-2018, 07:04 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I like this lightweight ethos. It brings the cars closer to racecars. It makes me think of Mclaren as a hightech, high power version of Lotus which I also admire. Now only if they would get their act together so we can have Mclarens that don't break down on trackdays, that don't have to wait weeks or months for spare parts, let independent race shop work on wheels, tyres and brakes. And as a result probably have less depreciation. Oh boy, I would be all over Mclaren !
Old 08-29-2018, 08:15 AM
Dante
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I had the opportunity to drive a mclaren p1 vs the mclaren senna in Mexico recently. Im not a "youtuber" so i have no equipment and we hadn't planned on filming this. This was just the opportunity of having a fantastic car available with best in the world performance (mclaren P1).. and then having something completely alien and incredible from the same car company next to it (mclaren Senna). The opportunity presented itself thanks to an incredibly generous and trusting owner, so off we went, no prep, just two dream machines. The result is a simple edit of crappy footage with iphones. i'm sharing this "privately" in this thread, god I hope I don't come to regret it, Mexican police has a long reach, and the pedantics on this forum have a way of making themselves known. It's an unlisted video which I made for my own memories/interests, for obvious reasons.

Regarding the car itself... it's hard for me to really put it into words. The senna feels like completely another level from any super/hyper/mega car i've driven (i've never driven a Bugatti or a Koenigsegg for full disclosure). I haven't gone on track with it yet, so i don't think the downforce is what I felt as much as the sheer lightweight of the thing. The takeaway message, is that there is so little weight transfer, that you get a very pure signal from the front tires as to how much grip there is... very much the same feeling as in a go-kart. the wheel is semi-hydraulic, so much better than the current electrical setups... it moves in your hands. it tells you exactly what year the pebble you just ran over was made. it feels like an open wheel racer.. razor sharp, and super-communicative. the P1 has great steering feel, but it's comparatively heavy and silent in it's communication. Comparatively.. the p1 is still better steering feel than any hypercar i've tried. (and better than any porsche including 918 and my gt3)

You need to completely recalibrate your senses to the Senna's performance.. what was a 70mph turn in the P1.. is easily, easily, a 90+ mph turn in the Senna. Where the P1 yo-yo's to keep up with the Senna, using it's crazy power to catch up, it then needs to slow down to let the suspension take a proper set. In the Senna.. i never felt like i needed to brake, ever. clearly, i wasn't going fast enough.. but the car below 100mph simply didn't care if there was a corner.. The P1 lets you know that you're driving something heavy.. no matter how great the active suspension is, you still need to let it set at speed. The Senna, below 100mph (which was my self-imposed upper limit out of respect for the owner) is talkative.. but it could hardly care what you're doing. this was the best part.. the feeling that the car was immensely fun to drive, even at "sane" speeds.. not many cars are like this.. fast cars are almost never like this. The GT3 IS like this.. happy and fun at low speeds.. but i don't want to create false equivalency here, lets not kid ourselves, . This car's steering feel, chassis, brakes, handling.. it's completely a different world from a GT3, or really, anything I've ever had the fortune to drive. In some ways it reminded me of the SCG003S.. set up to run at incredible speeds, real downforce feeling and responsiveness even at low speeds.

Downhill, off-camber, tight sweeper.. P1 needs care. The Senna just feels like it's engaged with a track underneath the cement.. there is a sense of compression, of connection.. you feel like it's not even trying yet. hard to convey to be honest.

my only critique, is that it needs more front tire patch, wider front tires maybe. i think it's set up from stock as a "safe" car for most drivers. you get little moments of tire slip, tiny ones.. it feels like this was maybe done on purpose.. the chassis can take so so much more. also, the seats are very wide in the shoulders.. i was moving all over the place. I have to imagine that on track it would be worse. that's all i got in that sector.

otherwise, i have to imagine that this is as much a move forward in performance as the F40 was in 1987, or the Mclaren F1 was in 1993.. nothing comes close to this car that i've ever tried. It's also not just fast, it offers real driving pleasure, really nice feedback through the wheel. Brakes require strong pressure like a race car, but then they haul the car down from speed so hard that you think you're on slicks or there is a cable hooked into the rear bumper. I've never felt braking like this, never. This is absolutely next-next level stuff.

If you don't have the money, find a friend who has and have him buy one. If you can pay over sticker for it, call Alessandro Ribola at Mclaren SF and get an allocation, pay him whatever he asks. . If you have a "collection".. free up funds, sell anything modern you have, and buy this.

I feel sure that this car will go down in history as a game-changing machine.. The game has moved on. it's now about lightweight, not just power. everyone has "done" power.. Mclaren is showing us that true driving enjoyment comes from the hard work of removing mass. i'm eternally grateful to the owner for letting me experience something so so special.

I'm sure someone will make a better video, but this 8 minutes will be my memory to treasure. I make no promises, it's just some footage.

Mexico has beautiful roads by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CuY...ature=youtu.be
excellent write up and video, thanks Alex!
Old 08-29-2018, 09:45 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

That was fun to watch, Alex. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:12 AM
AlecG
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by bccars
I like this lightweight ethos. It brings the cars closer to racecars. It makes me think of Mclaren as a hightech, high power version of Lotus which I also admire. Now only if they would get their act together so we can have Mclarens that don't break down on trackdays, that don't have to wait weeks or months for spare parts, let independent race shop work on wheels, tyres and brakes. And as a result probably have less depreciation. Oh boy, I would be all over Mclaren !
This is exactly what I've been thinking for the past 5 years!!!
Old 08-29-2018, 12:40 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Move in the right direction by McLaren. This is what Porsche should be doing, only better. 400hp 2500lb car for <$200k instead of heavy 700hp turbo brute for $500k.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:22 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Move in the right direction by McLaren. This is what Porsche should be doing, only better. 400hp 2500lb car for <$200k instead of heavy 700hp turbo brute for $500k.

Thats why they came out with the 600lt...2700 ish lbs at 600 hp for base price 240k (280k when you put most goodies in you'd want though people are going way higher but beside the point)...and you know they are only cooking up newer, lighter stuff...
Old 08-29-2018, 01:34 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Thats why they came out with the 600lt...2700 ish lbs at 600 hp for base price 240k (280k when you put most goodies in you'd want though people are going way higher but beside the point)...and you know they are only cooking up newer, lighter stuff...
I don't think it'll weight that little on the road. I think that's "dry" weight with every conceivable lightweight option selected and no fluids. But it should be under 3,000 pounds which qualifies as light in today's market (and especially with 600hp and 455 ft-lbs).

FYI, DIN Weight is 2,989 pounds. Not sure if US spec will add any weight...
http://cars.mclaren.com/sports-serie.../specification
Old 08-29-2018, 02:57 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Regarding the car itself... it's hard for me to really put it into words. The senna feels like completely another level from any super/hyper/mega car i've driven (i've never driven a Bugatti or a Koenigsegg for full disclosure). I haven't gone on track with it yet, so i don't think the downforce is what I felt as much as the sheer lightweight of the thing. The takeaway message, is that there is so little weight transfer, that you get a very pure signal from the front tires as to how much grip there is... very much the same feeling as in a go-kart.
Interesting writeup. I have one (minor) question though - the McSenna is light but not crazily light either. 1198kg dry per Mclaren with full weight saving options. That's not much more than 30kg lighter than an the equivalent 675LT which admittedly is a pretty lightweight car for it's type albeit still probably 1380kg or thereabouts fully fuelled in customer spec. Ok the 675 has less power but if the McSenna feels dynamically so far better than anything else due to the weight, the 675 isn't going to be far behind at all...and actually a 720 as well which is probably another 40-50kg with lightweight spec more than the 675.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:03 PM
MikeF_Vossen
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the opportunity to drive a mclaren p1 vs the mclaren senna in Mexico recently. Im not a "youtuber" so i have no equipment and we hadn't planned on filming this. This was just the opportunity of having a fantastic car available with best in the world performance (mclaren P1).. and then having something completely alien and incredible from the same car company next to it (mclaren Senna). The opportunity presented itself thanks to an incredibly generous and trusting owner, so off we went, no prep, just two dream machines. The result is a simple edit of crappy footage with iphones. i'm sharing this "privately" in this thread, god I hope I don't come to regret it, Mexican police has a long reach, and the pedantics on this forum have a way of making themselves known. It's an unlisted video which I made for my own memories/interests, for obvious reasons.

Regarding the car itself... it's hard for me to really put it into words. The senna feels like completely another level from any super/hyper/mega car i've driven (i've never driven a Bugatti or a Koenigsegg for full disclosure). I haven't gone on track with it yet, so i don't think the downforce is what I felt as much as the sheer lightweight of the thing. The takeaway message, is that there is so little weight transfer, that you get a very pure signal from the front tires as to how much grip there is... very much the same feeling as in a go-kart. the wheel is semi-hydraulic, so much better than the current electrical setups... it moves in your hands. it tells you exactly what year the pebble you just ran over was made. it feels like an open wheel racer.. razor sharp, and super-communicative. the P1 has great steering feel, but it's comparatively heavy and silent in it's communication. Comparatively.. the p1 is still better steering feel than any hypercar i've tried. (and better than any porsche including 918 and my gt3)

You need to completely recalibrate your senses to the Senna's performance.. what was a 70mph turn in the P1.. is easily, easily, a 90+ mph turn in the Senna. Where the P1 yo-yo's to keep up with the Senna, using it's crazy power to catch up, it then needs to slow down to let the suspension take a proper set. In the Senna.. i never felt like i needed to brake, ever. clearly, i wasn't going fast enough.. but the car below 100mph simply didn't care if there was a corner.. The P1 lets you know that you're driving something heavy.. no matter how great the active suspension is, you still need to let it set at speed. The Senna, below 100mph (which was my self-imposed upper limit out of respect for the owner) is talkative.. but it could hardly care what you're doing. this was the best part.. the feeling that the car was immensely fun to drive, even at "sane" speeds.. not many cars are like this.. fast cars are almost never like this. The GT3 IS like this.. happy and fun at low speeds.. but i don't want to create false equivalency here, lets not kid ourselves, . This car's steering feel, chassis, brakes, handling.. it's completely a different world from a GT3, or really, anything I've ever had the fortune to drive. In some ways it reminded me of the SCG003S.. set up to run at incredible speeds, real downforce feeling and responsiveness even at low speeds.

Downhill, off-camber, tight sweeper.. P1 needs care. The Senna just feels like it's engaged with a track underneath the cement.. there is a sense of compression, of connection.. you feel like it's not even trying yet. hard to convey to be honest.

my only critique, is that it needs more front tire patch, wider front tires maybe. i think it's set up from stock as a "safe" car for most drivers. you get little moments of tire slip, tiny ones.. it feels like this was maybe done on purpose.. the chassis can take so so much more. also, the seats are very wide in the shoulders.. i was moving all over the place. I have to imagine that on track it would be worse. that's all i got in that sector.

otherwise, i have to imagine that this is as much a move forward in performance as the F40 was in 1987, or the Mclaren F1 was in 1993.. nothing comes close to this car that i've ever tried. It's also not just fast, it offers real driving pleasure, really nice feedback through the wheel. Brakes require strong pressure like a race car, but then they haul the car down from speed so hard that you think you're on slicks or there is a cable hooked into the rear bumper. I've never felt braking like this, never. This is absolutely next-next level stuff.

If you don't have the money, find a friend who has and have him buy one. If you can pay over sticker for it, call Alessandro Ribola at Mclaren SF and get an allocation, pay him whatever he asks. . If you have a "collection".. free up funds, sell anything modern you have, and buy this.

I feel sure that this car will go down in history as a game-changing machine.. The game has moved on. it's now about lightweight, not just power. everyone has "done" power.. Mclaren is showing us that true driving enjoyment comes from the hard work of removing mass. i'm eternally grateful to the owner for letting me experience something so so special.

I'm sure someone will make a better video, but this 8 minutes will be my memory to treasure. I make no promises, it's just some footage.

Mexico has beautiful roads by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CuY...ature=youtu.be
Gave me goosebumps reading this!
Old 08-29-2018, 07:16 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I don't think it'll weight that little on the road. I think that's "dry" weight with every conceivable lightweight option selected and no fluids. But it should be under 3,000 pounds which qualifies as light in today's market (and especially with 600hp and 455 ft-lbs).

FYI, DIN Weight is 2,989 pounds. Not sure if US spec will add any weight...
http://cars.mclaren.com/sports-serie.../specification
And the dry weight of the Senna is 2641 lbs...so DIN will be just 100 lbs ish lighter than that of the 600lt...it's really not that far off...
Old 08-29-2018, 07:38 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Great review and some quite nice roads in Mexico these days. It seems that Ayrton's hand comes down from Heaven to help with the grip every time a Senna is about to turn. That's the only explanation i have from Calexio's and the Indy driver's texts on how it manages to turn at high speeds.

Since this thread is about their success, worth noting that McLaren is likely turning itself into a top notch tech firm, with its reach now to the transportation and health industries. I believe there is some really cool stuff in orthopedic surgery coming up. Some simulation and optimization for manufacturing also around he corner, I believe. Applied science at its best. Expect some cool stuff in the future..
Old 08-29-2018, 07:43 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by br911
Great review and some quite nice roads in Mexico these days. It seems that Ayrton's hand comes down from Heaven to help with the grip every time a Senna is about to turn. That's the only explanation i have from Calexio's and the Indy driver's texts on how it manages to turn at high speeds.

Since this thread is about their success, worth noting that McLaren is likely turning itself into a top notch tech firm, with its reach now to the transportation and health industries. I believe there is some really cool stuff in orthopedic surgery coming up. Some simulation and optimization for manufacturing also around he corner, I believe. Applied science at its best. Expect some cool stuff in the future..
Excellent point.. I was speaking to one of the shareholders and he was most excited about the technical applications they were coming up with. As I'm in medical friend, I'm very interested in their Ortho and medical stuff.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:36 PM
NBoost
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

You mean to tell me I could upgrade my bum ACL to genuine McLaren replacement parts?

Quick Reply: McLaren Success