Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 11:20 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Crazy story.. somewhat Mclaren-related, but just sharing because I know it will rustle up some good conversation. The following of what I write is 100% accurate, unembellished, exactly as it happened.. my mind is still blown about it.

Today I was at Ferrari compound here at Pebble Beach with a buddy who was speccing a car with Tailor Made. I have all my credentials, badging etc, and taking a break at the espresso-bar after a 2 hour marathon spec session for a 488 Pista. I'm wearing mclaren gear, a branded vest and hat given to me this week for the mclaren rally. Got dressed this morning with the new schwag, and addended countless events from different brands, without even a thought to what I was wearing.

Anyway, back at the espresso bar inside the Ferrari compound. An Italian Ferrari employee walks by and says in English "you cannot come in here wearing those clothes, please leave our premises immediately".. I hear his Italian accent so I respond in Italian, thinking he's somehow kidding and that I should respond with a joke "is it like the Vatican where we can't wear shorts?" He repeats in Italian "you are not welcome here, wearing those clothes, this is not mclaren". I realized he was bizarrely serious so I said "I'm here for a Tailor Made appointment", and he responded " we will be happy to cancel your allocation if you ever come in here with mclaren logos on your clothing again"..

That was the craziest thing I've experienced. It caught me so off guard I could barely process the occurrence. the irony is my buddy who has 5-6 Ferrari's was just telling me 10 minutes beforehand how he hated the brand despite loving the cars, and I had been defending it saying it couldn't be as bad as he was saying.

I realized after the fact that this employee wasn't being individually aggressive or rude, this was very likely a corporate culture/strategy to be almost aggressively insulting. I have no judgement on this matter, I'm more curious at how a brand might have so much power that this is ok.

I want to point out that as it was a friends appointment/relationship/allocation, (he was also decked out in mclaren gear), I didn't tell the guy to **** off. I didn't budge from my seat at the bar of course, did a bit of a stare-down until he stormed off. Same employee later came into our room and then walked out. that's where the drama ends.. I can't see mclaren ever treating people like this.
thank you for reminding me why I'll never buy a F-car. love their cars, hate the company/people.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:35 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Crazy story.. somewhat Mclaren-related, but just sharing because I know it will rustle up some good conversation. The following of what I write is 100% accurate, unembellished, exactly as it happened.. my mind is still blown about it.

Today I was at Ferrari compound here at Pebble Beach with a buddy who was speccing a car with Tailor Made. I have all my credentials, badging etc, and taking a break at the espresso-bar after a 2 hour marathon spec session for a 488 Pista. I'm wearing mclaren gear, a branded vest and hat given to me this week for the mclaren rally. Got dressed this morning with the new schwag, and addended countless events from different brands, without even a thought to what I was wearing.

Anyway, back at the espresso bar inside the Ferrari compound. An Italian Ferrari employee walks by and says in English "you cannot come in here wearing those clothes, please leave our premises immediately".. I hear his Italian accent so I respond in Italian, thinking he's somehow kidding and that I should respond with a joke "is it like the Vatican where we can't wear shorts?" He repeats in Italian "you are not welcome here, wearing those clothes, this is not mclaren". I realized he was bizarrely serious so I said "I'm here for a Tailor Made appointment", and he responded " we will be happy to cancel your allocation if you ever come in here with mclaren logos on your clothing again"..

That was the craziest thing I've experienced. It caught me so off guard I could barely process the occurrence. the irony is my buddy who has 5-6 Ferrari's was just telling me 10 minutes beforehand how he hated the brand despite loving the cars, and I had been defending it saying it couldn't be as bad as he was saying.

I realized after the fact that this employee wasn't being individually aggressive or rude, this was very likely a corporate culture/strategy to be almost aggressively insulting. I have no judgement on this matter, I'm more curious at how a brand might have so much power that this is ok.

I want to point out that as it was a friends appointment/relationship/allocation, (he was also decked out in mclaren gear), I didn't tell the guy to **** off. I didn't budge from my seat at the bar of course, did a bit of a stare-down until he stormed off. Same employee later came into our room and then walked out. that's where the drama ends.. I can't see mclaren ever treating people like this.
Have 0 experience with either brand but IMO appears like Ferrari is content with their way of doing things/attitude since they have been successful for so long (aka get with it or get out), while McLaren is hungry and out to earn business by (surprise) customer service. I've noticed this recently (not going to get into reputed McLaren durability/reliability issues, have no experience). What's sad to me is over the last year or two I am getting the impression Porsche is trying to be like Ferrari in terms of elite appeal and unshakeable faith that their product is so good, customer service can go out the window and someone will walk in either way with money to burn. Just had a not so nice experience with a simple service request, and some SA already telling me for 992 GT3 they are keeping lists but the lists will be for "market price only." If they keep pushing and prodding me like that with my hard earned money in hand, I will look elsewhere and as I'd like a little decency and customer service but that might be hard to come by in LA & maybe Porsche these days.

I like Ferrari & Porsche's faith in the economy staying red hot as they seem to putting their faith in that rather than customer service/making sure the customer is happy
Old 08-24-2018, 11:59 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I would have thought they would be already out if schmucks like me are getting a go?
Oh cool - you had a drive in 600LT? I didn't see any comments - was the Senna so much better than you didn't bother with a mini-review?

Would love to hear one if you can.

Sorry about the Ferrari dicks - that's a shame (but the cortado looked good!)
Old 08-24-2018, 12:01 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgibrit
I was told $5K for new windshield.
Most insurance covers glass without deductible...

Old 08-24-2018, 12:43 PM
NBoost
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I prefer British snobbery to Italian. Remember when Rolls and Bentley used to list their HP and torque as "adequate and sufficient"? That still cracks me up.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:28 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Oh cool - you had a drive in 600LT? I didn't see any comments - was the Senna so much better than you didn't bother with a mini-review?

Would love to hear one if you can.

Sorry about the Ferrari dicks - that's a shame (but the cortado looked good!)
Oh no, I guess I hadn't read your question. I meant Senna not 600LT.. they just started that up for us, no one seems to be driving it yet.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:34 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Most insurance covers glass without deductible...
will insurance cover a heavily pitted windshield? I am only talking wear & tear from track usage.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:35 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh no, I guess I hadn't read your question. I meant Senna not 600LT.. they just started that up for us, no one seems to be driving it yet.
OK, gotcha
Old 08-24-2018, 01:37 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

will insurance cover a heavily pitted windshield? I am only talking wear & tear from track usage.
I think you probably need to have a crack to replace with insurance. In Colorado, that's just a matter of time...
Old 08-24-2018, 01:43 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Yes. Tell them it is damaged and the area involved is larger than a dollar bill. Seriously, that's the metric they use.
The guy replacing the glass doesn't care - they get paid no matter what.

I once had a windshield that got pitted from a severe dust storm. I told them the entire thing was damaged, but they still wanted me to say it was larger than a dollar bill. If it's smaller than that, they will try to repair it first. (obviously only works with a crack or star impaction)
Old 08-24-2018, 01:46 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Wow. That would turn me away from the brand for sure. I still wonder how much of it is corporate culture and how much is individual's personality. Hard to say without repeat interactions. Porsche is becoming like Ferrari in some ways. I hope it does not get to this. When I first came Porsche-shopping, I was wearing a BMW jacket. It's just a nice light jacket with extremely subtle branding, so I forgot that it was BMW-branded even. The sales rep did notice and said that if I'm a BMW fan, I'm going to like Porsche even more and that he helped a lot of BMW people to "upgrade" their car experience. That welcoming confidence attitude worked really well on me, as you can see from my signature
Old 08-24-2018, 02:02 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

https://clearplex.com/
It's about $200 installed and you won't know it's there.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:08 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 193 Posts

The launch of the 600LT and Senna sends a signal to the whole world that McLaren are in the Premier league for keeps..Both Ferrari and Porsche need to get off their high horses and take McLaren seriously as they truly are leading the way in groundbreaking, innovative and bold design language.
They are truly making Porsche design look staid and unadventurous. Beware Ferrari and Porsche as the Brits are coming to get you..!!
Old 08-24-2018, 08:01 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It's so good that they're in the game now. I'm not quite in the Macca league so still Porsche for me but if I had to choose between McLaren and Ferrari the McLaren every time. Faster, lighter weight, better steering, better looking, you look less like a d*ck, etc...
Old 08-24-2018, 10:22 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

I can say for sure there were good reasons that got me into a Mac. Wanted a new car this season and was not happening with P cars. Went to Mac dealer and was treated like somebody interested in buying a car. They had 5) 2017 brand new 570 S coupes for sale. Heavy discount and took one home. Really like it. It does have a few small issues. Floor it and cannot think what they were.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success