Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 09:19 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio

one somewhat related point.. I drove a 50th anniversary 911 a dear friend lent to me recently for a driving event, while he drove his gt3. I had never driven a non-GT Porsche and was absolutely gob-smacked at the difference to the gt3. There is no question in my mind as to why gt Porsche's don't depreciate like normal Porsche's do. That 50th anniversary, a beautiful and special 911 to be sure, is a completely different animal to the gt3 I'm used to. No comparison, uninvolving, imprecise, gutless, soundless, no grip, no.. anything really. Basically I can't see spending new car money on a 911 which isn't a gt3.. the driving enjoyment value isn't even close. I would buy a used gt3 at almost-new price any day over a new non-GT 911. Or stated another way, I would never buy a non-GT 911.. completely soulless experience, way overpriced for what it offers.
I have a similar take, comparing my 50th with my 2015 GT3 (since sold). The 50th is a nice car for real touring, as it's quieter, more comfortable and although lacks 500 HP, the PowerKit in the 50th doesn't really make it "gutless."

Having said that, I agree that the GT3 is a great value, even loaded up w/PTS, PCCBs and LWBs.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:43 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Nobody here is doubting the value of a Porsche GT car. But if you end up having to pay ADM that value starts to diminish. And can leave a bad taste in your mouth when you know that the "used" car you just bought came from somebody who never really wanted it in the first place. Just somebody who was able to get an allocation. I am loyal to my SA but have asked for a GT3 RS since 2015. Seriously doubt it will happen. The 600LT certainly pushes just as many of my buttons, maybe more.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:04 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

^^ Agreed.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:37 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

I got the run around from two dealers for a GT3 for 3 years and enough was enough. And then I see these same dealers selling “pre owned” GT3’s for above MSRP. Dealers in Canada can’t charge ADM on new cars. So I said screw it and bought a car from a dealer that was happy to sell it to me. Until Porsche smartens up with respect to their GT business model, I’ll be deploying my cash elsewhere. Thrilled with 570 thus far.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:37 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Nobody here is doubting the value of a Porsche GT car. But if you end up having to pay ADM that value starts to diminish. And can leave a bad taste in your mouth when you know that the "used" car you just bought came from somebody who never really wanted it in the first place. Just somebody who was able to get an allocation. I am loyal to my SA but have asked for a GT3 RS since 2015. Seriously doubt it will happen. The 600LT certainly pushes just as many of my buttons, maybe more.
Yep. That’s the logic that pushed me to order the 600LT instead of the RS.

Just gotta pick which wheels I want...
Old 07-21-2018, 01:23 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Forgot to mention, watch out for the orange and red contrast haha. But hell of a good looking car!
Old 07-21-2018, 01:36 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

When McLaren gets to the point where demand completely overwhelms supply i am pretty sure things will look exactly the same. Porsche GT cars are just more desirable. The same problem exists with all desirable models from McLaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. High demand brings on these issues. Just my opinion.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:40 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Forgot to mention, watch out for the orange and red contrast haha. But hell of a good looking car!

Both look great. Probably best to do bright exterior with black interior or dark exterior with burnt orange interior... as long as the super lightweight seat are selected. Ultimately all just personal preference of course.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:52 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3

Both look great. Probably best to do bright exterior with black interior or dark exterior with burnt orange interior... as long as the super lightweight seat are selected. Ultimately all just personal preference of course.
Those seats are work of art. Hell, the entire car is a work of art! If Mac would warranty their track cars for the track (and not make me take it to dealer before and after), the want for the 600LT would be unbearable
Old 07-21-2018, 02:12 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911therapy
Those seats are work of art. Hell, the entire car is a work of art! If Mac would warranty their track cars for the track (and not make me take it to dealer before and after), the want for the 600LT would be unbearable
Yes, the dealer said that in order to honor track warranty, they would need to inspect the car before/after the track they to make sure proper maintenance is done. No more than 1 hour charge per inspection. They conceded that if that is done, that they’ll honor any track use during the 3-year unlimited miles factory warranty. I don’t mind, since I do it anyways with other cars. Porsche also warranties GT track use, as long as additional maintenance is performed according to the car’s manual. If maintenance is not performed as per the manual’s track use, I doubt Porsche will honor the track warranty.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:55 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those carbon seats are breathtaking. Somehow I doubt they need seat angle adjusters haha
Old 07-21-2018, 09:36 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
When McLaren gets to the point where demand completely overwhelms supply i am pretty sure things will look exactly the same. Porsche GT cars are just more desirable. The same problem exists with all desirable models from McLaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. High demand brings on these issues. Just my opinion.
Hope that never happens. But if it does then maybe the early adopters will have dibs on the "GT" McLarens. Porsche GT cars are desirable, not always attainable.
Seriously, driving the 600LT at night and seeing blue flames shoot up from the rear deck? I will start driving more at night. Well, maybe not. Get up at 3 am and then we are talking.
BTW, drove home tonight and went 3 miles out of the way (commute is about 1200 feet). Had to do a double lane underpass, full concrete walls and ceiling. Yeah, windows open and rolling 1st to 2nd hard pull. SOUND EXPERIENCE! I do that a lot with all my cars. Also, do not get my fookin head beat to crap at speed the way the GT3s do. Minimal wind buffeting.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:32 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Hope that never happens. But if it does then maybe the early adopters will have dibs on the "GT" McLarens. Porsche GT cars are desirable, not always attainable.
Seriously, driving the 600LT at night and seeing blue flames shoot up from the rear deck? I will start driving more at night. Well, maybe not. Get up at 3 am and then we are talking.
BTW, drove home tonight and went 3 miles out of the way (commute is about 1200 feet). Had to do a double lane underpass, full concrete walls and ceiling. Yeah, windows open and rolling 1st to 2nd hard pull. SOUND EXPERIENCE! I do that a lot with all my cars. Also, do not get my fookin head beat to crap at speed the way the GT3s do. Minimal wind buffeting.
Nice! Sounds like fun.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:28 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
Yep. That’s the logic that pushed me to order the 600LT instead of the RS.

Just gotta pick which wheels I want...
I think the 600LT will buck the trend.. this car is astonishing value for money, it's a full-exotic or quasi-hypercar at gt3RS money. I'll be participating in the mclaren rally for pebble beach next month and really hoping they bring it so I can try it. It's absolutely sick to look at also.. beautiful details. This at $250k vs Senna at $1M?.. or this vs almost any car below $500k.. amazing stuff. Well done mclaren
Old 07-22-2018, 05:28 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

The 600LT, to me, is the best looking car out there currently. A work of art and I'm sure it's performance will put many to shame.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success