Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 11:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
The fit and finish on my 570S is great. I’m not sure what others are talking about. The quality of Porsches has really dumped too since the 996/997 days. I guess it’s how people perceive things.
Not sure about McLaren, but I’ve seen a few not making it through a track weekend.
I dont fit in it anyway.

But the 991 seems a lot better built then the 997?
All my 997’s had the same issues.

991 runs cooler, better brakes (not selling the pucks is a bit of a FU by Porsche, just like the CS package) and nothing has ever broken on it besides one cooling pipe.
They are falling behind, but the new model will catch up soon.
Porsche should give it more PDKS setting options, fix the PSI BS, oil warning BS, add tire temps as well as fix the 1/4 tank limp mode thing.
I know BMW has tire temps and sell CS in a box
Mercedes GTR seems hard to catch and lasts OK

Mclaren is fast but only for 20 minutes it seems.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:24 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Not sure about McLaren, but I’ve seen a few not making it through a track weekend.
I dont fit in it anyway.

But the 991 seems a lot better built then the 997?
All my 997’s had the same issues.

991 runs cooler, better brakes (not selling the pucks is a bit of a FU by Porsche, just like the CS package) and nothing has ever broken on it besides one cooling pipe.
They are falling behind, but the new model will catch up soon.
Porsche should give it more PDKS setting options, fix the PSI BS, oil warning BS, add tire temps as well as fix the 1/4 tank limp mode thing.
I know BMW has tire temps and sell CS in a box
Mercedes GTR seems hard to catch and lasts OK

Mclaren is fast but only for 20 minutes it seems.
There are several TX guys running stock 570S in 90-100F weather with no issues for entire weekends. I can say however this can be car dependent. Some work great, others heat up quicker. I don’t know why. I had a 12C that went into limp mode on a hot track day...drove it straight to the dealer from the track to trade it in lol. I do not accept limp mode. Doesn’t matter how hot it is outside.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:27 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

How is a Merc GT R on brakes and tires?
Old 07-16-2018, 11:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Thanks. Keep beating on it of and on track, look forward to reading more first hand experiences of hot track days.
Im hosting a track day September 6th. Rented Sebring just so I can drive all day with AC on.
30,000 miles,fingers crossed but I suspect that the limiting factor will be the Tires.

We have a Renntech AMG GTR running here.
On Hoosiers I cant keep up, it also runs Hoosiers.

No limp mode but the brakes need more cooling.
They don’t give up but steels with Hoosiers in the heat the pedal gets soft.
ceramics and more brake cooling should fix it.

For the $$, the speed, sound and durability are impressive.
i haven’t heard engine or gearbox issues.

Renntech is right up the road but they need more testing at Sebring, although PBIR is a brake killer as well.
i bet the GTR reaches 165 into a 35 MPH corner.

the only place I can catch him is under braking.
Said AMG is coming to my track day so that will be interesting as it will have the latest Renntech goodies.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:16 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

How hard was it to rent the track for a day? Cost? It would be worth quite a bit to me to be able to run with windows up and A/C. FL is a long ways from AZ though.....
Old 07-17-2018, 09:54 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,781 Likes on 2,189 Posts

A track alignment will definitely help. I have stock alignment because I drive it mostly on the street.

Sway bars are definitely adjustable. I really like the oversteer, though. It makes the car easy to rotate but if you gently lift off the throttle then get on it when straightened out, the car goes through the turns very well. Keep in mind, the drawback to this car is the lack of aero. It is twitchy at high speeds and sometimes under hard braking. It was engineered for the street. It is not a hardcore track car, but it is a more than capable DE car.

I use Trofeo R. Way better than the Stock pirelli p zeros or the corsas. Some people use Hoosiers but I have not.
Thanks for this info. For the brakes, I assume a pad needs to be used which is compatible with the carbon ceramic rotors? Is it best to just use the OEM pads?
Old 07-17-2018, 12:16 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

How is a Merc GT R on brakes and tires?
Mine has the CCMs and has been great over two track weekends so far. Relatively low pad wear, and great braking performance every lap. I did burnish the brakes the first run session which is mandatory imho. Only mod is changed the fluid to SRF. May use Endless 650 in the future.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:31 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

um, holy yes!

Old 07-17-2018, 01:33 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I'm considering a 600LT.

My concern with McLaren isn't the reliability. All cars break down. Porsches included. But when a McLaren breaks down, it becomes a huge hassle. Even in a large metropolitan area (like SoCal), there are only 3-4 McLaren dealerships within a 150 mile radius of me. There are probably at least 10 Porsche dealers within a 15 mile radius of me.
3-4 dealers within 150 miles?! You should consider yourself very lucky. Don't you need just 1 and a backup is nice? I understand what you are saying, but idk it's a boutique brand pumping out 6,500 cars a year just not enough room to have stores everywhere besides you probably have more options than nearly everyone else in the world. fwiw

I'd say if you were considering the car and have that many service options I think you'll find a good home that works on your vehicles promptly and keeps you rolling. I don't have soCal clients complaining about being down.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:00 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
um, holy yes!
Whilst the exhaust on the 600LT is insane, does anyone else think it will come with its share of issues?

I know they have put protective coat on parts of the rear wing, but I can see that section getting really covered with soot, and difficult to clean. I also see a real possibility of heat damage / discolouration of the non protected portions - they dont look to be too far from those flames.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:16 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Whilst the exhaust on the 600LT is insane, does anyone else think it will come with its share of issues?

I know they have put protective coat on parts of the rear wing, but I can see that section getting really covered with soot, and difficult to clean. I also see a real possibility of heat damage / discolouration of the non protected portions - they dont look to be too far from those flames.

Then they will just have to replace or fix what ends up messing up I guess haha. I'm ready for it!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:58 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Lots of aftermarket fun coming.. tips which face in different directions, flame-throwers, colored titanium tips, taller ones.. this is going to become an iconic mod.

And the wing.. will also get majorly modded.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:12 AM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman

Im thinking a taller wing like on the old school Nascar road runner. Get it high enough that the spot would be under it.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:58 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

oooh perfect, I can make smores after the last session of the day.... love the car, love what mclaren does, wish I had a bigger garage and more time!
Old 07-18-2018, 12:38 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 85 Posts

Was tempted to get a 570s and test drove it twice. Beautiful car which attracts tons of attention. Drives comfortable and is super fast. Only issue to me is the depreciation and the turbo lag. The latter being the biggest drawback to me. I hate punching the gas and waiting. So instead I'm looking at GT3's and GT3 RS's.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success