Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

 
Old 07-14-2018, 08:22 AM
  #1846  
moab
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
moab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: TO
Posts: 1,123
Default

Originally Posted by Ducati1199 View Post
Without a doubt the .2 3 or RS and I donít think the 2RS will touch the LT 600 on the track. The McLaren overall is just a better driving experience. That said the GT3 is a better track car than the 570S. But the 570 was never designed for the track. It is squiffy under braking for sure. The 600LT will be an epic car but where will it stand two years later? Thatís the big concern for me and the reason I told my dealer today Iím passing on my allocation. I can rely on my .2 RS. But without a doubt you can walk into McLaren dealer and buy what you want there and then with no games.
unless you are driving your GT3 at the track 300 days of the year and 65 days on the road, 570 destroys GT3 in every way. Looks, interior styling, daily drivability. Plus 911s are a dime a dozen in any metropolitan area. Havenít taken my mclaren to the track yet since I just got it, but I never smiled this much driving any 911.
moab is online now  
Old 07-14-2018, 08:59 AM
  #1847  
Mussl Kar
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mussl Kar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SE Mass
Posts: 3,010
Default

Originally Posted by Manifold View Post
Drove a friend's 570S on track today. NOT impressed! Brake pedal had too much travel and kind of numb. Turbo lag was very noticeable, engine felt kind of off/on. Steering was kind of numb. Worst of all, despite trying various damper settings, the car was quite 'floaty' under braking and when dealing with long-wavelength bumps and elevation changes. Either there was something wrong with this particular car, or it's just not a great track car (I drove an MP4 on track a few years ago and liked it a lot more than this 570S).

I like the 991.1 GT3 WAY better as a track car, in every way. Porsche: There is no substitute.
There are 3 settings to adjust. I found out the hard way, after my last track day Monday. I had dampers and engine both in track mode but the car was not all that responsive to the throttle. It seemed OK, not great for the first 4-5 laps. I kept up with the advanced drivers. Then it felt like heat soak came on, was a hot day. Nope, not heat soak. The ESC also has different settings and for the track it needs to be set in Dynamic. Otherwise ESC becomes very intrusive, and more so every lap. Almost like it thinks its raining.

I have a solid allocation for the 600 LT and also an October build for a GT3. Taking the GT3 for sure as I do miss driving my 2015 GT3, but have to get more questions answered before I sign for the 600LT. My 570S was purchased in May with a huge discount because it was a brand new 2017 leftover coupe. Dealer still has 4-5 of them and everybody wants a spider. But I am a coupe type guy. A well appointed 600LT gets into 720S territory and guessing there will be a lot of low mile 720S coupes on the market next year if they come out with a 720S spider. Lot to think about.
My trade in $ of my current 570S will make or break the purchase of the 600LT.
Mussl Kar is offline  
Old 07-14-2018, 12:00 PM
  #1848  
Manifold
Super User
 
Manifold's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Close enough to plenty of good tracks
Posts: 4,226
Default

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar View Post
There are 3 settings to adjust. I found out the hard way, after my last track day Monday. I had dampers and engine both in track mode but the car was not all that responsive to the throttle. It seemed OK, not great for the first 4-5 laps. I kept up with the advanced drivers. Then it felt like heat soak came on, was a hot day. Nope, not heat soak. The ESC also has different settings and for the track it needs to be set in Dynamic. Otherwise ESC becomes very intrusive, and more so every lap. Almost like it thinks its raining.

I have a solid allocation for the 600 LT and also an October build for a GT3. Taking the GT3 for sure as I do miss driving my 2015 GT3, but have to get more questions answered before I sign for the 600LT. My 570S was purchased in May with a huge discount because it was a brand new 2017 leftover coupe. Dealer still has 4-5 of them and everybody wants a spider. But I am a coupe type guy. A well appointed 600LT gets into 720S territory and guessing there will be a lot of low mile 720S coupes on the market next year if they come out with a 720S spider. Lot to think about.
My trade in $ of my current 570S will make or break the purchase of the 600LT.
Thanks for that insight. I think we tried the dampers in both the middle and max settings (sport and track?). I think engine was in track mode, but not sure. ESC was left on (I wasn't about to turn it off in someone else's rather expensive car!). Maybe we needed to play around with the settings more, but the more I reflect on it, the more I think there was something wrong with this particular car. The OEM Corsa tires definitely don't have enough grip for real track use.

Manifold is offline  
Old 07-14-2018, 01:41 PM
  #1849  
Archimedes
Super User
 
Archimedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,516
Default

Originally Posted by moab View Post


unless you are driving your GT3 at the track 300 days of the year and 65 days on the road, 570 destroys GT3 in every way. Looks, interior styling, daily drivability. Plus 911s are a dime a dozen in any metropolitan area. Havenít taken my mclaren to the track yet since I just got it, but I never smiled this much driving any 911.
Yeah I think youíll get a lot of disagreement on that looks and interior styling part. And the first part of drivability is that you actually get to drive it all the time and itís not being flat bedded to a dealer multiple times a year during its first year of ownership.
Archimedes is offline  
Old 07-14-2018, 02:52 PM
  #1850  
Mussl Kar
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mussl Kar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SE Mass
Posts: 3,010
Default

Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post


Yeah I think youíll get a lot of disagreement on that looks and interior styling part. And the first part of drivability is that you actually get to drive it all the time and itís not being flat bedded to a dealer multiple times a year during its first year of ownership.
Pcars get plenty of flatbed rides too. We live with it. My garage has a welcome mat for both cars.
Mussl Kar is offline  
Old 07-14-2018, 02:59 PM
  #1851  
Mussl Kar
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mussl Kar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SE Mass
Posts: 3,010
Default

Originally Posted by Manifold View Post
Thanks for that insight. I think we tried the dampers in both the middle and max settings (sport and track?). I think engine was in track mode, but not sure. ESC was left on (I wasn't about to turn it off in someone else's rather expensive car!). Maybe we needed to play around with the settings more, but the more I reflect on it, the more I think there was something wrong with this particular car. The OEM Corsa tires definitely don't have enough grip for real track use.
I was just playing with mine today. Hoping that you did have the ACTIVE button pushed. Pushing the ESC button once does not turn it off, sets to Dynamic mode and it will say so on the display.

Good news about the 600LT is that it has not only a LAUNCH mode, but a BURNOUT mode as well. Not enough rubber left for a track day? Pull up to a Prius at a stop light and burn them up.
Mussl Kar is offline  
Old 07-14-2018, 03:53 PM
  #1852  
tgibrit
User
 
tgibrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North East
Posts: 378
Default

Originally Posted by 911therapy View Post
Agree....there is a reason the porsche GT cars command a premium...they're worth it. And there is is a reason you can walk into ferrari, mac, lambo and especially mercedes and buy what your heart desires. They would love to sell to you at msrp...but they cant. They sell below msrp and then fall off the day purchased. Be careful what you wish for...porsche could just increase msrp on these cars to the real market price....then what would we have to b#tch about......
Porsche are just as keen to discount their non-GT cars as McLaren, ask anyone who purchased one about depreciation on the Turbo - which is the natural competitor for the 570S.

The McLaren LT models are their limited production run products and seem to maintain their value rather well. The GT3 is a sweet spot for me as a track car, that I can drive to the track and the consumables are high but manageable. I like the idea of the 600LT (which can be ordered with harness bar and belts in the US is seems) but it would be too expensive to run on track on a regular basis,
tgibrit is offline  
Old 07-14-2018, 05:12 PM
  #1853  
moab
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
moab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: TO
Posts: 1,123
Default

Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post


Yeah I think youíll get a lot of disagreement on that looks and interior styling part. And the first part of drivability is that you actually get to drive it all the time and itís not being flat bedded to a dealer multiple times a year during its first year of ownership.
Iíll get disagreement on this board for sure. But in the real world, for every one person who has commented that they love my 911, Iíd get 10 saying the same thing about the mclaren.
moab is online now  
Old 07-14-2018, 05:45 PM
  #1854  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,368
Default

Bottom line: it is a GREAT time to be a car nut.
robmypro is offline  
Old 07-14-2018, 05:50 PM
  #1855  
race7117
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
race7117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 956
Default

I think the 600LT is going to be a great car but McLaren is already getting the 720/750LT ready and once it arrives the 600 becomes a bit of an anchor. McLaren unfortunately has a habit of this, making their own cars redundant. I would wait for the 720/750LT, it'll be worth the extra dough and it looks a thousand times better than the 570/600.
race7117 is offline  
Old 07-14-2018, 06:03 PM
  #1856  
enzom
User
 
enzom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 315
Default

Originally Posted by race7117 View Post
I think the 600LT is going to be a great car but McLaren is already getting the 720/750LT ready and once it arrives the 600 becomes a bit of an anchor. McLaren unfortunately has a habit of this, making their own cars redundant. I would wait for the 720/750LT, it'll be worth the extra dough and it looks a thousand times better than the 570/600.
Very different price points. And I have not seen a thing about the 750LT. They can't even confirm when or if the 720S spider is coming. I think the 600LT will be a great car. If you can get one, get one. Waiting two years for a 750LT means 2 years without enjoying a special car.
enzom is offline  
Old 07-14-2018, 06:11 PM
  #1857  
Manifold
Super User
 
Manifold's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Close enough to plenty of good tracks
Posts: 4,226
Default

Originally Posted by moab View Post
Iíll get disagreement on this board for sure. But in the real world, for every one person who has commented that they love my 911, Iíd get 10 saying the same thing about the mclaren.
Really depends on who you ask, cars they're used to driving, what they want in a car, road vs track use, etc. 911s and McLarens certainly have a very different vibe.

Manifold is offline  
Old 07-14-2018, 06:12 PM
  #1858  
GT3
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
GT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,527
Default

Went to McLaren today. Got 600LT allocation and ordered. Test drove 720s and was insane; would have taken it home today if I didn’t have GT3 arriving next month. Love Porsche, but really liking McLaren right now...
GT3 is offline  
Old 07-14-2018, 06:26 PM
  #1859  
race7117
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
race7117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 956
Default

Originally Posted by enzom View Post
Very different price points. And I have not seen a thing about the 750LT. They can't even confirm when or if the 720S spider is coming. I think the 600LT will be a great car. If you can get one, get one. Waiting two years for a 750LT means 2 years without enjoying a special car.
Not really, the price point will be smaller than the price point between the GT cars and the McLarens. If you can afford the 600LT you can afford the 750LT. It will be here sooner than you think
race7117 is offline  
Old 07-14-2018, 06:29 PM
  #1860  
rodsky
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
rodsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 2,219
Default

Originally Posted by race7117 View Post
I think the 600LT is going to be a great car but McLaren is already getting the 720/750LT ready and once it arrives the 600 becomes a bit of an anchor. McLaren unfortunately has a habit of this, making their own cars redundant. I would wait for the 720/750LT, it'll be worth the extra dough and it looks a thousand times better than the 570/600.
Hmmmm - Ok Porsche has the 997.1 997.2 991.1 991.2 GT3 GT3RS 3.8 and 4.0, GT3T, Speedster, 911R, and 997 GT2 GT2Rs and 991 GT2RS (not to mention the Turbos /S and Exclusive) - and you say that McLaren has a way of making their cars redundant .. Now thats funny. A 600LT and 750LT is like a GT3RS and GT2RS.
rodsky is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: McLaren Success


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: