991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Old 07-13-2018, 06:44 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Nice spec. What Porsche will see down the road they will loose the GT customer to a competitor, but also loose all the other non-GT cars purchased. Told my Porsche guy MSRP or bust, and I bought the 458 and the wide a GLC AMG 63. He gets it, and says he tired of the games ........recession hits attitudes will change. It’s never good to loose 250k sales I don’t care what business you’re in .....
Old 07-13-2018, 07:17 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Not sure this would matter for many, but given the general disappointment with the way old time customers are, with exceptions obviously, being treated by some Porsche dealers, the nail in the coffin , form a marketing perspective, could be if McLaren breaks Estre's time in the Ring and publishes a video. Pretty much the same price range the the .23RS, with better performance, better dealer service, and no games? I don't think they want to get into the Ring game, however.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,583 Likes on 732 Posts

The Ring isnt hard enough on cars.
Porsche GT cars
Mustang 350R
AMG GTR is almost there but that’s about it off the showroom floor at Sebring.

Its really hot in the summer, Id buy a McLaren or AMG GTR If I can track drive from 8am till noon and from 1Pm till 5 emptying 4 tanks of fuel and I can drive home.

If anyone’s interested I’m hosting a private track day at Sebring September 6 that allows you to run windows up, AC on.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:08 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 679 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Already got my ordered place for the 1st 600LT from my dealer.

Waiting to hear from Woking to see if the harness bar will make it to our shores. That will dictates how I config the car, if the bar can stay, then I am going with the Senna seats. If not I will take the sofas.

This purchase wouldn't have happened had Porsche not delayed my GT2RS for 5 months, from May production to now perhaps a Oct/Nov production.
FYI the 'club sport pack' titanium roll bar was available on the 675 LT in Canada, but not the US.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:39 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,701 Likes on 2,152 Posts

Drove a friend's 570S on track today. NOT impressed! Brake pedal had too much travel and kind of numb. Turbo lag was very noticeable, engine felt kind of off/on. Steering was kind of numb. Worst of all, despite trying various damper settings, the car was quite 'floaty' under braking and when dealing with long-wavelength bumps and elevation changes. Either there was something wrong with this particular car, or it's just not a great track car (I drove an MP4 on track a few years ago and liked it a lot more than this 570S).

I like the 991.1 GT3 WAY better as a track car, in every way. Porsche: There is no substitute.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,716 Likes on 4,754 Posts

Everyone leaving Porsche.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:06 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Drove a friend's 570S on track today. NOT impressed! Brake pedal had too much travel and kind of numb. Turbo lag was very noticeable, engine felt kind of off/on. Steering was kind of numb. Worst of all, despite trying various damper settings, the car was quite 'floaty' under braking and when dealing with long-wavelength bumps and elevation changes. Either there was something wrong with this particular car, or it's just not a great track car (I drove an MP4 on track a few years ago and liked it a lot more than this 570S).

I like the 991.1 GT3 WAY better as a track car, in every way. Porsche: There is no substitute.

Agree....there is a reason the porsche GT cars command a premium...they're worth it. And there is is a reason you can walk into ferrari, mac, lambo and especially mercedes and buy what your heart desires. They would love to sell to you at msrp...but they cant. They sell below msrp and then fall off the day purchased. Be careful what you wish for...porsche could just increase msrp on these cars to the real market price....then what would we have to b#tch about......
Old 07-13-2018, 11:31 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,144 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
FYI the 'club sport pack' titanium roll bar was available on the 675 LT in Canada, but not the US.
Wait and see if that holds true for the 600LT.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:41 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by 911therapy
Agree....there is a reason the porsche GT cars command a premium...they're worth it. And there is is a reason you can walk into ferrari, mac, lambo and especially mercedes and buy what your heart desires. They would love to sell to you at msrp...but they cant. They sell below msrp and then fall off the day purchased. Be careful what you wish for...porsche could just increase msrp on these cars to the real market price....then what would we have to b#tch about......
I paid $165k for mine. Nothing even remotely caught my attention in that price range, except another Porsche. At the time my choices were a used 458 or an older Scuderia. Neither can really deliver what my GT3 does. Ask yourself this. If the .2 RS was selling for $350k MSRP could you not make a strong argument that it should be on your shortlist when shopping for cars in that price range? These GT cars offer amazing value. And they deliver in every category that matters to a car enthusiast. Hence strong demand, and the above MSRP market price.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:46 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro

I paid $165k for mine. Nothing even remotely caught my attention in that price range, except another Porsche. At the time my choices were a used 458 or an older Scuderia. Neither can really deliver what my GT3 does. Ask yourself this. If the .2 RS was selling for $350k MSRP could you not make a strong argument that it should be on your shortlist when shopping for cars in that price range? These GT cars offer amazing value. And they deliver in every category that matters to a car enthusiast. Hence strong demand, and the above MSRP market price.

concur rob, concur
Old 07-14-2018, 12:13 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 679 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by 911therapy
I would argue that new Ferrari models (Superfast, Pista) are harder to get than a GT Porsche.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:25 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972

I would argue that new Ferrari models (Superfast, Pista) are harder to get than a GT Porsche.
those are so far out of my price range, I wouldnt know.... I'm sure you are right. But, again, whats the price range for those two? I assume they are significantly higher than GT3, GT3RS and GT2RS, right?
Old 07-14-2018, 12:26 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
997.1 GT3, 997.2 RS - owned both at MSRP without much effort. At the time only a few dealers in my area charged ADM's. Now only a few dealers don't charge ADM, plus there's more demand since auto box so that exacerbates the situation. It'll change eventually.

Again, my main beef is not ADM but the way dealers are treating long-term customers. I had deposit down 991.2 RS for well over a year at MSRP as in the past. Time comes to order and I get the full Glengarry Glen Ross with cars treatment from the salesman. Meanwhile I'm watching and listening to sales manager on the other side of sales floor frantically calling other dealerships to collude on highest ADM they can charge. Finally an hour later saleman comes back and says they want $60k for the allocation. Needless to say they'll never get another sale from me or any local Porsche buyer who asks for a recommendation.

If a dealer wants to charge ADM that's their prerogative, but don't string me along for a year and then pull a bait and switch at the eleventh hour.
Agree 100% Nizer. My experience also and will never touch that dealer again
Old 07-14-2018, 01:02 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tasman
Agree 100% Nizer. My experience also and will never touch that dealer again
Yeah, thats BS. hate to hear it...dealers should at least be up front and stick to what they agree to. Taking an existing, long term customers deposit, promising an allocation and then shopping it to the highest bidder is the definition of unscrupulous.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:22 AM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Without a doubt the .2 3 or RS and I don’t think the 2RS will touch the LT 600 on the track. The McLaren overall is just a better driving experience. That said the GT3 is a better track car than the 570S. But the 570 was never designed for the track. It is squiffy under braking for sure. The 600LT will be an epic car but where will it stand two years later? That’s the big concern for me and the reason I told my dealer today I’m passing on my allocation. I can rely on my .2 RS. But without a doubt you can walk into McLaren dealer and buy what you want there and then with no games.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: McLaren Success