Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:39 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 500 Posts

Already got my ordered place for the 1st 600LT from my dealer.

Waiting to hear from Woking to see if the harness bar will make it to our shores. That will dictates how I config the car, if the bar can stay, then I am going with the Senna seats. If not I will take the sofas.

This purchase wouldn't have happened had Porsche not delayed my GT2RS for 5 months, from May production to now perhaps a Oct/Nov production.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:38 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Waiting to hear from Woking to see if the harness bar will make it to our shores. That will dictates how I config the car, if the bar can stay, then I am going with the Senna seats. If not I will take the sofas.
Looks like the MSO clubsport Pro pack is a US option with the Harness bar so it should be making it to our shores

Old 07-13-2018, 01:00 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

This purchase wouldn't have happened had Porsche not delayed my GT2RS for 5 months, from May production to now perhaps a Oct/Nov production.
Strange. A friend of mine just got his PTS WP as scheduled, even with Mag wheels. Anyway, 600LT is more than a good consolation prize.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:03 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Pre-automatic days. The speculator and poser factor was much lower. How many value threads were floating around in the 997.1/2 days? A tiny fraction.

Going frogger on your .1 RS, that was s*it luck. Who knew?

Don't blame Porsche either. Great brand, great engineers, and they make stellar products that keep getting better. Unfortunately they appear to have little control over the US dealer network and I believe quite a few - not all - are doing harm to the brand. And I'm not talking specifically about ADM. Time will tell. It's all wine and roses when the economy is going gangbusters and money is cheap.

Whoever you blame, current Porsche GT car strategy is allowing McLaren to establish a solid beachhead in the U.S. Local McLaren dealer is selling easy 10x the number of cars verses GT cars being sold by Porsche dealer down the street. Personally, I wouldn't even be looking at 600LT if I knew I was getting 2RS, but now I'm in their showroom every other week talking cars with the guys and it's enjoyable. No games, no bull and the cars rock.
I asked the owner what he thought about tracking the car. "I want you to track the car". OK
Old 07-13-2018, 02:05 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

I could be wrong but I think the harness bar is able to be specified, but dealer installs them.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:39 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

Pre-automatic days. The speculator and poser factor was much lower. How many value threads were floating around in the 997.1/2 days? A tiny fraction.

It was not easy to get 997.1's and 997.2's. They were going for way above sticker too. Some people got MSRP, just like today. But in essence Same deal as current situation. Yes, there are more people now showing interest due to PDK but there is just more $$ nowadays vs 2008-2011.. Back in those days, it was more people chasing these cars to drive them. Now everyone thinks they are investments, or are concerned with leather deviated stitching, bose, etc.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:41 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

997.1 GT3, 997.2 RS - owned both at MSRP without much effort. At the time only a few dealers in my area charged ADM's. Now only a few dealers don't charge ADM, plus there's more demand since auto box so that exacerbates the situation. It'll change eventually.

Again, my main beef is not ADM but the way dealers are treating long-term customers. I had deposit down 991.2 RS for well over a year at MSRP as in the past. Time comes to order and I get the full Glengarry Glen Ross with cars treatment from the salesman. Meanwhile I'm watching and listening to sales manager on the other side of sales floor frantically calling other dealerships to collude on highest ADM they can charge. Finally an hour later saleman comes back and says they want $60k for the allocation. Needless to say they'll never get another sale from me or any local Porsche buyer who asks for a recommendation.

If a dealer wants to charge ADM that's their prerogative, but don't string me along for a year and then pull a bait and switch at the eleventh hour.

Last edited by Nizer; 07-13-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:59 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Does McLaren even warranty their cars if you track them? For some reason i remember reading that they did not. Maybe somebody can verify this.

https://www.autogespot.com/tracking-...-the-warranty!

Shows language where Porsche can disclaim your warranty for track use if they want, but...

"Almost all major car manufacturers have clauses like these, with the big exception being McLaren. McLaren is one of the few manufacturers that explicitly mention that track use is covered by warranty, as long as it is not competitive or professional (so no timed laps). McLaren also organises many track days for McLaren owners so it also says in the warranty booklet that the car is also under warranty during these events (organised by McLaren)."

Rob - I think your 2014 had a more generous track warranty section in the manual and it was changed (to one shown in link above) for 2015 and forward.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:24 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Does McLaren even warranty their cars if you track them? For some reason i remember reading that they did not. Maybe somebody can verify this.
I haven't read the actual warranty but my verbal understanding from my local dealer and one in california is they required a service visit before and after a trackday weekend to continue warranty coverage. again nothing written, I think the service call is around $380 bucks for the 2.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:05 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Yes, in the McLaren manual it states an inspection must be performed before and after any non-competitive event. Competitive or timed events are excluded from warranty coverage.

If I remember right, Ford covers the GT350 for track use.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:12 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 259 Posts

Nizer, Nail on head brother.

After chasing an allocation with a couple dealers one that I have been loyal to, all said non available. My loyal dealer called me up saying they had a customer cancellation and the are offering it at market price +$50k for 2RS. No Thanks!

Mclaren 600LT deposit made at MSRP sale, 600LT Spider is coming for 2020.

Here is a pricing for the 600LT, with a note...

997.1 GT3, 997.2 RS - owned both at MSRP without much effort. At the time only a few dealers in my area charged ADM's. Now only a few dealers don't charge ADM, plus there's more demand since auto box so that exacerbates the situation. It'll change eventually.

Again, my main beef is not ADM but the way dealers are treating long-term customers. I had deposit down 991.2 RS for well over a year at MSRP as in the past. Time comes to order and I get the full Glengarry Glen Ross with cars treatment from the salesman. Meanwhile I'm watching and listening to sales manager on the other side of sales floor frantically calling other dealerships to collude on highest ADM they can charge. Finally an hour later saleman comes back and says they want $60k for the allocation. Needless to say they'll never get another sale from me or any local Porsche buyer who asks for a recommendation.

If a dealer wants to charge ADM that's their prerogative, but don't string me along for a year and then pull a bait and switch at the eleventh hour.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
600LT MY19 Price List.pdf (208.9 KB, 560 views)
Old 07-13-2018, 05:51 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
https://www.autogespot.com/tracking-...-the-warranty!

Shows language where Porsche can disclaim your warranty for track use if they want, but...

"Almost all major car manufacturers have clauses like these, with the big exception being McLaren. McLaren is one of the few manufacturers that explicitly mention that track use is covered by warranty, as long as it is not competitive or professional (so no timed laps). McLaren also organises many track days for McLaren owners so it also says in the warranty booklet that the car is also under warranty during these events (organised by McLaren)."

Rob - I think your 2014 had a more generous track warranty section in the manual and it was changed (to one shown in link above) for 2015 and forward.
Hey Grant, yeah i remember a lng thread a while back about Porsche adding wiggle room to the warranty starting in 2015 (my MY). But they have been great about warranty work even for tracked cars. It looks like McLaren has gotten behind the track guys now too, so that is awesome. I must have read something that was a few years old. Either that or i am losing it lol.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:56 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Don't blame Porsche either. Great brand, great engineers, and they make stellar products that keep getting better. Unfortunately they appear to have little control over the US dealer network and I believe quite a few - not all - are doing harm to the brand. And I'm not talking specifically about ADM. Time will tell. It's all wine and roses when the economy is going gangbusters and money is cheap.

Whoever you blame, current Porsche GT car strategy is allowing McLaren to establish a solid beachhead in the U.S. Local McLaren dealer is selling easy 10x the number of cars verses GT cars being sold by Porsche dealer down the street. Personally, I wouldn't even be looking at 600LT if I knew I was getting 2RS, but now I'm in their showroom every other week talking cars with the guys and it's enjoyable. No games, no bull and the cars rock.
I know i come off as a Porsche homer but why not give McLaren a shot? They are obviously doing a lot of things right, so go for it! I can see myself one day owning a Ferrari or McLaren, just to see how they compare. If someone is treating you better, vote with your wallet. All i have to say is post pictures and don’t disappear!
Old 07-13-2018, 05:57 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by race7117
I haven't read the actual warranty but my verbal understanding from my local dealer and one in california is they required a service visit before and after a trackday weekend to continue warranty coverage. again nothing written, I think the service call is around $380 bucks for the 2.
Sounds reasonable to me.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:38 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
Nizer, Nail on head brother.

After chasing an allocation with a couple dealers one that I have been loyal to, all said non available. My loyal dealer called me up saying they had a customer cancellation and the are offering it at market price +$50k for 2RS. No Thanks!

Mclaren 600LT deposit made at MSRP sale, 600LT Spider is coming for 2020.

Here is a pricing for the 600LT, with a note...

Wow, given what you get, if you don't go crazy you've got a hell of a car for half of a gt2rs .

Quick Reply: McLaren Success