Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:33 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

not to bash anyone here or Maclaren, but Mac wasn't a car for me.
drove a 570S and while the speed, ergonomics, suspension set up, and ease around town was second to none, the sound and lag was a little disappointing. I don't know, to each his own but for 200K, I rather have a used Huracan or a GT/RS.
I really, really wanted to like it but I just could not justify the cost/depreciation to own. love to be part of the Mac group, but it wasn't meant to be.

Don't bash me;

Old 03-21-2018, 03:22 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Not until they have a ton of miles- the 570's are just as fast up to about 140mph and have better ergonomics
That's what I thought... so sounds like a great buy at the prices you can find them at presently, with less depreciation risk.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:02 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic
not to bash anyone here or Maclaren, but Mac wasn't a car for me.
drove a 570S and while the speed, ergonomics, suspension set up, and ease around town was second to none, the sound and lag was a little disappointing. I don't know, to each his own but for 200K, I rather have a used Huracan or a GT/RS.
I really, really wanted to like it but I just could not justify the cost/depreciation to own. love to be part of the Mac group, but it wasn't meant to be.

Don't bash me;

I agree with you although I bet in a few more years they will have better reliability, less depreciation and a better exhaust sound. The brakes suck too but maybe just need to get used to them but hopping from my GT4 w/PCCBs to the 570S you learn really quickly how great Porsche brakes are.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:55 PM
erikerik
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 42 Posts

When I first drove the 570 the only things that impressed me were styling/build quality/ doors. I thought the car had lag and was a little too comfortable around town... then I hit the “active” switch and turned the dials up to Track mode and wow... the car came to life. Shifts are faster suspension and engine more responsive. I don’t think the 570 is a comparable to a GT car. But if you wanted to compare a Turbo S to the 570. I’ll take a 570 all day.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:06 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

^yep, I can't imagine someone trying to pick a turbo/s vs. 570s. both amazing cars. but I think the decision between a GT3/RS vs. 570s is pretty obvious; or at least it is for me.

once Mac has all the nuts and bolts of their cars and business model water tight and have a few more cycles under the belt, they will be very hard to compete with.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:44 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I agree with you although I bet in a few more years they will have better reliability, less depreciation and a better exhaust sound. The brakes suck too but maybe just need to get used to them but hopping from my GT4 w/PCCBs to the 570S you learn really quickly how great Porsche brakes are.
I hear ya!

The brakes are a bit of an "acquired taste", but are actually designed to mimic the feel of Mclaren race cars from the heyday of the brand. And I can tell you that they do pay a fine homage...yet have modern ceramic fade resistance.

Many folks are not aware that the 570 was not designed to be a 'numbers' car, but rather a car designed to be "interesting" and tactile. Mclaren set it up to have lots of small quirks on purpose. The brakes being one of the most noticeable.

If you've driven any race-cars that have manual brakes, then that "feel" will be very familiar. It is also designed to allow for seamless left foot braking and such. There are times when the brake modulation on the 570 allows for a rotational movement that is amazing.

On the street.....well......you feel like you don't have much in the way of brakes! HAHA!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:13 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by docjohnM
I hear ya!

The brakes are a bit of an "acquired taste", but are actually designed to mimic the feel of Mclaren race cars from the heyday of the brand. And I can tell you that they do pay a fine homage...yet have modern ceramic fade resistance.

Many folks are not aware that the 570 was not designed to be a 'numbers' car, but rather a car designed to be "interesting" and tactile. Mclaren set it up to have lots of small quirks on purpose. The brakes being one of the most noticeable.

If you've driven any race-cars that have manual brakes, then that "feel" will be very familiar. It is also designed to allow for seamless left foot braking and such. There are times when the brake modulation on the 570 allows for a rotational movement that is amazing.

On the street.....well......you feel like you don't have much in the way of brakes! HAHA!
How does that Mclaren Kool-aide taste?
Old 03-21-2018, 07:19 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Originally Posted by erikerik
When I first drove the 570 the only things that impressed me were styling/build quality/ doors. I thought the car had lag and was a little too comfortable around town... then I hit the “active” switch and turned the dials up to Track mode and wow... the car came to life. Shifts are faster suspension and engine more responsive. I don’t think the 570 is a comparable to a GT car. But if you wanted to compare a Turbo S to the 570. I’ll take a 570 all day.
yeah, the lag is major bummer. There is little when on-track, but plenty if you have it in one of the "toned-down" modes and you try to squirt through traffic. There are times that I think my car is broken and then the rear tires break loose as you grab the next gear. Fun, but a bit silly. I love the doors, but I feel self-conscious sometimes.....one of my friends said the doors make a sound when opened that goes....."douuuuuuuche". Haha!

The redeeming quality though is the steering and light, lively chassis. There is a reason why Mclaren hired all of the engineers from Lotus. You have the most tactile steering rack on the market, with the most organic feel since the 997GT3. The car feels as light as it is. Unfortunately the new GT3 series has the "modern" dumbed-down steering-feel and a thick band of resistance to overcome off-center. It is at odds with the ersatz faux-racing sound of pebbles in the wheel arches. Porsche probably plays them thru the speakers anyway!! I heard they even have a sound track option ($15K of course) on the RS where you hear people cheer in the stands. (just kidding)

There is also a slight fatigue factor in the 570. It is hard to explain...You sit in gorgeous seats, listening to a wonderful Bowers and Wilkins stereo, and the engine hums warmly behind you.....but the car is freaking ALIVE. You have to drive an Elise 300 miles in one-sitting to understand. The car does not have the germanic trait of "locking in" to a groove on the road. Because if this Liveliness...It is a mistake to put this car in the category of a "Turbo". They are very different. Turbos are heavy, syrupy rockets. The 570 can even be more high-strung than the GT3 (read Motor trend's review for the Best Drivers Car 2016 for reference...the 991.2S got a yawn, and even the R8V10S put them to sleep) All I can say is that the car is hard to place in an apples to apples comparo.

I am still making up my mind tho if I "like" the 570. I am down to #6 on my dealer list for the GT3 and I am slowly starting to accept that no car is perfect, but at this level, all are highly desirable...... I want the GT3 shifter, easy everyday usage, reliability, and sublime engine, but with the 570's tactile steering, build materials and chassis dynamics.

I'll do a comparison test for y'all when I get my GT3 in about 2.7 years! ;-)
Old 03-21-2018, 07:20 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Originally Posted by ranger22
How does that Mclaren Kool-aide taste?
same as the porsche Kool aide, but I don't have to wait on a list for 3 years to get a drink! haha!
Old 03-21-2018, 11:16 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

I agree the 570s should be compared against a turbo s not a gt3. Fits two totally different needs
Originally Posted by erikerik
Old 03-22-2018, 12:54 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

I hear ya!

Thanks for this explanation. Almost crashed the car because I was not expecting the brakes to act like they did jumping from my GT4. Certainly could be Driver error
Old 03-22-2018, 01:46 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

While I agree on comparing the Turbo Vs 570 side...

If you have the stones and run off to take the 570 to active: track/track you will experience a lot more of a GT3 type layer of onion.

On normal/ Sport you get a lot of 911turbo.

For guys that put miles on but are not tracking their cars, 570 easy. Its more unique than any car in 150-250k price range. It has a unique steering feel, more of a FIA GT3 brake pedal (but not brake bite per se), tons more electronic layers for performance settings.

Good way to think of it- its a car you can drive in different moods for different occasions that has not lost a hooligan streak. VERY EASY to drift/ brake loose.

It just does not have a manual option. Which admittedly is a very Porsche thing.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:43 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

yeah, the lag is major bummer. There is little when on-track, but plenty if you have it in one of the "toned-down" modes and you try to squirt through traffic. There are times that I think my car is broken and then the rear tires break loose as you grab the next gear. Fun, but a bit silly. I love the doors, but I feel self-conscious sometimes.....one of my friends said the doors make a sound when opened that goes....."douuuuuuuche". Haha!

The redeeming quality though is the steering and light, lively chassis. There is a reason why Mclaren hired all of the engineers from Lotus. You have the most tactile steering rack on the market, with the most organic feel since the 997GT3. The car feels as light as it is. Unfortunately the new GT3 series has the "modern" dumbed-down steering-feel and a thick band of resistance to overcome off-center. It is at odds with the ersatz faux-racing sound of pebbles in the wheel arches. Porsche probably plays them thru the speakers anyway!! I heard they even have a sound track option ($15K of course) on the RS where you hear people cheer in the stands. (just kidding)

There is also a slight fatigue factor in the 570. It is hard to explain...You sit in gorgeous seats, listening to a wonderful Bowers and Wilkins stereo, and the engine hums warmly behind you.....but the car is freaking ALIVE. You have to drive an Elise 300 miles in one-sitting to understand. The car does not have the germanic trait of "locking in" to a groove on the road. Because if this Liveliness...It is a mistake to put this car in the category of a "Turbo". They are very different. Turbos are heavy, syrupy rockets. The 570 can even be more high-strung than the GT3 (read Motor trend's review for the Best Drivers Car 2016 for reference...the 991.2S got a yawn, and even the R8V10S put them to sleep) All I can say is that the car is hard to place in an apples to apples comparo.
A good description with the exception of turbo lag which is of course relative, for me coming from mostly turbo Porsches the Mac's lag is a non issue, similar to the 991.2 turbo S but of course will never be like a N/A engine but then no N/A engine can do 0-100 in under 6s !
Old 03-22-2018, 08:52 AM
erikerik
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 42 Posts

If anyone didn't get a GT3 allocation, I'd seriously consider a Mclaren. No other cars in its class offers a carbon tub and F1 engineering. I love the pedals, interior, steering and ride quality for the street.... soo much to like in the mac.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:26 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

The turbo lag is relative and subjective. I ruled out the 570 most of 2016 and 2017 because I read so much about this turbo lag. After I drove it, I thought it was much better than the turbo lag in my 2014 turbo s. Much...

I barely notice it anymore, love the engine.

CJ I’m wanting to try my 570gt on the track but I feel like it’s so under tired for the track? How is understeer on a track?

Quick Reply: McLaren Success