Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 04:32 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Thanks. Loving it. I like its sound, deep and confident but definitely not loud enough. Here are pics.
​​​​​​
Congrats on the pickup - mine is also Onyx Black and it had just arrived at the dealer the day before I picked it up. I've already placed my P14 deposit and really not sure I will buy any new Porsches. I'm number 1 at my dealer for the 2 RS but 99% sure I will just pass.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:42 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

Love the yellow stitching
Old 02-05-2017, 04:43 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
​​​​​​
Congrats on the pickup - mine is also Onyx Black and it had just arrived at the dealer the day before I picked it up. I've already placed my P14 deposit and really not sure I will buy any new Porsches. I'm number 1 at my dealer for the 2 RS but 99% sure I will just pass.
Thanks! Love the Onyx Black. Congrats on your upcoming P14, can't wait to see how it actually looks like. I clearly see why people defect and certainly offering cars in the price range of the 570s was a big factor for me. I wonder if Porsche is taking notice and now perhaps they may offer specialty cars for "everybody". While I always had a great experience at my Porsche dealership, the experience with McLaren took it to another level.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:10 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

^Would you think you can get around with a black Mac for DD, or is it still too flashy? In other words, can you get unnoticed (almost)? Thank you.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:35 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by br911
^Would you think you can get around with a black Mac for DD, or is it still too flashy? In other words, can you get unnoticed (almost)? Thank you.
SoCal? Yes.

There is a nice black 570S at McLaren Scottsdale similar to Sam's car, but with some orange accents.
http://www.mclarenscottsdale.com/new...a463ed433b.htm

I think the 570GT makes a great daily driver.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:15 PM
cyncrvr
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may not be noticed until the door is opened.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:51 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
Love the yellow stitching
Thanks!

I took a long test drive around Dallas in a yellow 570S. The attention was ridiculous. My wish was for a volcano orange car but that test drive changed my mind so I got the black, much more subdued. It still gets a lot of attention but less and I think can be an easy DD. I am sensitive to all this attention and that was the main reason I quickly traded in my i8.

Originally Posted by cyncrvr
You may not be noticed until the door is opened.
Yup, I snuck into a gas station today, realizing I was unnoticed (happy), then I opened the door. Things changed.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:14 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats Sam on the 570S. What are some of the extra options that came on it?
Old 02-05-2017, 11:59 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

You guys are killing me. I want a 570S now.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:37 PM
kingjr9000
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From mclife:
I was very lucky indeed to go to the 720 preview and I can certainly confirm that this car has at least three or four huge changes over previous ones. It is certainly a complete new design. Its a new car.
Forget the 675LT - this will blow it away. It makes it look like a dinosaur and probably will make it look as about as fast as one as well.
I was told by a main dealer that on a track in Italy it (the 720) beat the Porsche 918 lap time by 3 seconds and I have no reason to believe it was not true (on that particular track). Now we must consider its under one third of the price of the Porsche.
If that stat is true then that is utterly mind blowing.
For me its about the clever use of the power and how all of that extra torque cuts in way way down the rev range. Then combine that with the lower weight, huge increase in downforce, and very very clever aerodynamics, and that starts to show why its going to be fast - very very fast. As you guys that race know - its not all about brute bhp - its got a great deal to do with delivery of that and then how much of that you can put down on the track without the car losing its handling and grip.
Its in this area that the 720 probably beats just about any other road car and for me it lived up to its hype.
MCL have been very clever with this design and used the phrase "form following function" several times. The new styling is great - it is more aggressive but its all been driven by a functional need - and not just made to look pretty for the fun of it.
My very best mate, Urs Tschudin (The MCL Mileage man), who was with me for the reveal, has ordered one but will wait beyond the launch cars so he can spec it out himself. I met another Swiss guy who has a P1 and also 2 off 675 LTs and he will be having a 720 now and thinks on the road there will be no difference to speak of between the 720 and his P1.
Ill leave it to others to spoil the launch at Geneva that Ill also be attending and MCL really dont deserve to be let down given their kindness and willingness to preview the car to a select lucky few.
I will tell you though - this is one super cool car (or is it a cool super car??) that will give Hyper cars a run for their money (on the road) at Super Series car prices. Its another big step forward for MCL and the competition will not like what they see at Geneva.
For those that can afford it - get your deposits down now.
I will tell you - the Spider version has not yet been signed off and will be 2 or maybe even 3 years away. When you see the design - you will understand why that is.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

They all want to beat the 918 and say they're faster,but the truth of the matter is : they're not. It's been proven time and time again : P1 and LAFerrari included. I have no doubt new gen cars coming out will eventually catch the 918 and surpass it,but 3 seconds?! Give me a break!
Old 02-06-2017, 04:54 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

If anyone wants to lend me a 918 to test against the 720S I'd love to see. I have been told the same thing in regards to the car being faster around a lap.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:04 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
If anyone wants to lend me a 918 to test against the 720S I'd love to see. I have been told the same thing in regards to the car being faster around a lap.
CJ,McLaren also said that the P1 is faster than the 918 and it simply isn't! They also said that they've managed to beat the 918 Ring's time but no proof after all these years. Talk is cheap in McLaren's case. They can say whatever they want about the 720,nobody besides them has tested it. Even if it turns out faster,no way in Hell will it be 3 seconds IMHO!
Old 02-06-2017, 05:27 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Remember this?

TopGear.com had been offered an audience with McLaren boss Ron Dennis, and duly made its way to the stand in time to watch him present his intriguingly styled new car to the media hordes in an occasionally stilted three-way with 2013 McLaren F1 driver Sergio Perez and the BBC's pit-lane lady Lee Mackenzie. There were some useful updates, though. McLaren will be making 375 P1s, at £866,000 a pop, with around 45 destined for the Middle East. Ron was very pointedly talking up the car's investment potential, which explains why there was an F1 LM on the stand (current market value: up to £3m). And he went on to reveal that he himself had beaten the fastest Top Gear power lap (a 1.13.8 by the Pagani Huayra) around Dunsfold in the P1 by a walloping 10 seconds, which surely puts it on a par with the speed of light. Finally, he claimed that nobody else would be able to get near the P1's performance.
Fool me once... I'll wait for McLaren to build a car that (1) actually functions as a viable daily driver from a reliability standpoint (2) actually performs as promised.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

The most recent and most conclusive one to me was in the first episode of The Grand Tour : same day,same tires and the same driver-LaF,P1 and the 918. The 918 was the fastest. Admittedly by very little,but nonetheless faster!
I can still see that smug face on the McLaren's test driver when asked which one is faster before the test.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success