Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2017 911 RSR Piston Heads Article

Frank Steffan-Walliser's interview on the new 911 RSR

http://www.pistonheads.com/features/...-exposed/35541
Old 01-08-2017, 04:20 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 913 Posts

Only problem with this car is that they've not yet indicated there will be a road version...
Old 01-08-2017, 04:51 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Thank you for the article.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:09 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nizer
Only problem with this car is that they've not yet indicated there will be a road version...
I read somewhere that are not intending to introduce a road version or at least "not going to happen." Then again, #flappypaddlesareforgrandmas
Old 01-08-2017, 06:12 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

read not planned yet but not totally excluded

that means could happen

i am sure ppl could kill for something like that
Old 01-08-2017, 06:29 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
i am sure ppl could kill for something like that
you know it
Old 01-08-2017, 06:33 PM
jwalton
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default It seemed competitive

spent the weekend watching it run
Old 01-09-2017, 07:46 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jwalton
spent the weekend watching it run
How did it sound? Trying to figure out why it sounds so different to the GT3 R
Old 01-09-2017, 07:54 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts

Could this be the last NA limited edition RS?
Old 01-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
How did it sound? Trying to figure out why it sounds so different to the GT3 R
Different exhaust setup vs GT3 R. They used a variety of different mufflers during the Sebring and COTA tests, as well.

Manufacturers often want their new cars to be a bit quieter than the pack, as well.

GT3 R sounds very similar to my street car at high revs.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:38 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Different exhaust setup vs GT3 R. They used a variety of different mufflers during the Sebring and COTA tests, as well.

Manufacturers often want their new cars to be a bit quieter than the pack, as well.

GT3 R sounds very similar to my street car at high revs.
I have a couple questions:

- What is the decision to have a quieter car based on? To me it's far less appealing on a race car.

- Why is it that Porsche went from a megaphone exhaust on the 996 RSRs (one straight pipe coming off each cylinder bank) to a 2 into 1 setup on the unmuffled IMSA cars? Does it produce more power or does it have more back pressure so more torque? Is it because of the 991's large diffuser which wouldn't allow you to run a 996 type setup? If you were building a completed unrestricted RSR with no noise limitations what would the ideal setup be?

I got a look at the new RSR when they had the event at the LA auto show. I was probably the only goof on his hands and knees taking pics of the thing. I think they've gone back to more of the megaphone setup like the 996 RSRs had (ALMS version). However, it looks like they have small muffler canisters deeper in the body for the car. Not much, but that's what I'm taking those circular pieces to be.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by enduro911
I have a couple questions:

- What is the decision to have a quieter car based on? To me it's far less appealing on a race car.

- Why is it that Porsche went from a megaphone exhaust on the 996 RSRs (one straight pipe coming off each cylinder bank) to a 2 into 1 setup on the unmuffled IMSA cars? Does it produce more power or does it have more back pressure so more torque? Is it because of the 991's large diffuser which wouldn't allow you to run a 996 type setup? If you were building a completed unrestricted RSR with no noise limitations what would the ideal setup be?

I got a look at the new RSR when they had the event at the LA auto show. I was probably the only goof on his hands and knees taking pics of the thing. I think they've gone back to more of the megaphone setup like the 996 RSRs had (ALMS version). However, it looks like they have small muffler canisters deeper in the body for the car. Not much, but that's what I'm taking those circular pieces to be.

I'll answer your questions as best I can:

The car is all new and features an all new engine, as well as a controversial - although ENTIRELY within the rules (ie, not necessitating a waiver from the FIA, ACO, or IMSA) - engine positioning. More than one person "in the know" has conveyed to me that it is common practice to keep a car relatively quiet in the season or two of competition. Less attention, but less appealing to me as a fan.

I am not an engine builder or exhaust expert, so I can't answer the second question.

Those are muffler canisters you see.

I have heard footage of the 2016 car vs. the 2017 car back to back (same day, same track, same driver, same camera) ... very big difference.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:03 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

The car is all new and features an all new engine, as well as a controversial - although ENTIRELY within the rules (ie, not necessitating a waiver from the FIA, ACO, or IMSA) - engine positioning. More than one person "in the know" has conveyed to me that it is common practice to keep a car relatively quiet in the season or two of competition. Less attention, but less appealing to me as a fan.

I am not an engine builder or exhaust expert, so I can't answer the second question.

I have heard footage of the 2016 car vs. the 2017 car back to back (same day, same track, same driver, same camera) ... very big difference.
Not sure if it's the mic, but the car sounded much louder during testing at Sebring (from the video). To add to that, if you notice during the test that the white car seems like it was louder then the black one.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Not sure if it's the mic, but the car sounded much louder during testing at Sebring (from the video). To add to that, if you notice during the test that the white car seems like it was louder then the black one.
I'm talking about non-public footage from the front straight at COTA.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:21 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Good info, thank you!

Quick Reply: 2017 911 RSR Piston Heads Article