Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dundon Finger Follower Wear/Cam Wear Fix Update, and Engine Health Monitoring Intro

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:09 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Dundon Logger Progress

We have the PCB design finalized, software finalized, now it's just getting things tested and made.

We'll be able to log OBDII parameters (RPM, ignition advance, coolant temp, load etc..) in addition to the specific Porsche parameters for crank case pressure, air flow, load etc. We've changed the software to request parameters at different rates (oil temp doesn't change quickly so we don't need to request it often, rpm on the other hand can change quickly so we need to request this data more often).

Below is the anodized aluminum enclosure and a dummy PCB (not the one we're using). The logger will use an SD card for storage, and have additional output to a dash or other equipment. You'll be able to leave it plugged in and tucked under the dash. You can plug directly into the OBDII plug, or you can wire it directly into the can wiring.

Dundon Logger Enclosure

Dundon Logger Enclosure

The first use of the logger will be for crank case pressure (vacuum) monitoring to log the health of the 991 GT3/RS engines. As the cam/finger followers wear, the metal debris is circulated through the engine and piston ring/cylinder seal will be compromised far earlier than when the car throws a misfire code. Crank case pressure will increase as the combustion gasses get past the compromised piston ring/cylinder seal and we can monitor this increase overtime (every oil change for example). This also gives you a Porsche PIWIS specific parameter that is logged to share with the dealer if there is an issue in the future.

Crank case pressure at idle, 8000 mile 2014 GT3
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 02-25-2017, 09:21 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

This looks really interesting, Jamie. Help me understand why someone with a car still under warranty would buy this? Is the thought that the data would help us justify to Porsche that a problem exists, and something should be done before it is too late? Is it just peace of mind?

Walk me through this from the perspective of the guy with a car still under warranty, with a year or two left, who absolutely wants to keep his car until hell freezes over.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:22 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Nice work
Old 02-25-2017, 11:12 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
This looks really interesting, Jamie. Help me understand why someone with a car still under warranty would buy this? Is the thought that the data would help us justify to Porsche that a problem exists, and something should be done before it is too late? Is it just peace of mind?

Walk me through this from the perspective of the guy with a car still under warranty, with a year or two left, who absolutely wants to keep his car until hell freezes over.
The idea is that you'll have a method to quantify the effect of cam/follower wear. Think of it like oil analysis that can be used constantly and recorded.

You'll be able to use the data as you see fit and monitor the engine's health ongoing, in a way that wasn't available previously. It also will help to provide data to Porsche that just replacing the heads may not be enough to resolve any issues you may have.

Also we'll be leveraging the logger for trackday data gathering with another firmware that logs brake application, brake pressure, ride height (shock potentiometer), lateral/long g's, and a slew of other items. Not looking to replace the other very well done loggers, but supplement them with the actual car data that has been hard to get...

We'll be using it as a "mini" PIWIS to log engine parameters while on track and on the dyno to enhance our products and understand very clearly how the car reacts to different situations!
Old 02-26-2017, 01:47 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

^^ Very cool!!
Old 02-26-2017, 03:12 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
The idea is that you'll have a method to quantify the effect of cam/follower wear. Think of it like oil analysis that can be used constantly and recorded.

You'll be able to use the data as you see fit and monitor the engine's health ongoing, in a way that wasn't available previously. It also will help to provide data to Porsche that just replacing the heads may not be enough to resolve any issues you may have.

Also we'll be leveraging the logger for trackday data gathering with another firmware that logs brake application, brake pressure, ride height (shock potentiometer), lateral/long g's, and a slew of other items. Not looking to replace the other very well done loggers, but supplement them with the actual car data that has been hard to get...

We'll be using it as a "mini" PIWIS to log engine parameters while on track and on the dyno to enhance our products and understand very clearly how the car reacts to different situations!
Thanks Jamie. I am just thinking about this from a strategy point of view. I imagine there will be baseline numbers so we can determine how much damage may have occurred before using the logger. If this data could be used to initiate a compression test, which then shows something is going on, it would be valuable in getting whatever work needs to be done under warranty.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:21 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are those followers going to be tested in the engine and evaluated whether they do the job?
What company does make them?
Old 02-26-2017, 11:39 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interesting info. I'm not educated enough in this field so how does one attach this or does one need someone with specific knowledge to do it?
Old 02-26-2017, 12:33 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by bronson7
Very interesting info. I'm not educated enough in this field so how does one attach this or does one need someone with specific knowledge to do it?
Wondering the same thing, Bronson. There is this...

"The nice thing is Porsche already has a crank case pressure sensor on the car and it can be read with the factory tester. What we're doing is getting the data without the tester and allowing you to log it over time."

Almost sounds like it plugs in somewhere.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:39 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
.2 GT3 even if a 4.0L is likely close to .1 RS power levels

Once we have the cam wear issue resolved, then modding the 991.1 internally for power becomes much more reasonable. To mod an engine internally for power knowing it's eating itself isn't a great idea...

Had to cancel the meeting last week, key guys had the flu... (stupid flu).

But the logger is coming together nicely and we're really excited about what we'll be able to do with it.

1. Small black box with SD card storage, connects to OBDII port or direct wire into the CAN wires
2. Firmware upgradeable to open different or additional logging packages
3. Output for existing dashes or other track logging (AIM, Vbox, etc.)
4. Optional small dash for keeping your eye on logged parameters (not necessary, but pretty slick)

The first firmware will be for crank case pressure monitoring.
The next firmware will be a "track pack" with wheel speeds, brake pressures, transmission temp, engine temp, oil pressures, ride height sensors (shock potentiometers) etc... for the track guys. You would send this data into your favorite track logging stuff (I use vBox) and will add a number of channels to look at to improve driver setup (brake application and application pressure for example) and car setup (individual corner ride height for suspension setup, aero work etc...).

Very exciting stuff, just not enough hours in the day!
Here's your answer Bronson.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:42 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

What will be the cost of the Data logger and the "fix" as to materials and labor?
Old 02-26-2017, 12:46 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Jamie: I'm a little unclear here. Is it remaining a hydraulic system or going solid?
Old 02-26-2017, 01:15 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Jamie, some questions for you. In looking over the head photos you posted, is the oil on the exhaust side coming from those round brass fittings pointing towards the cam lobes? It looks to me like those same brass fittings aren't visible on the intake side, but the photos are inconclusive. If I am correct, is the plan to machine the head to add those to the intake side? I am no mechanic so just trying to wrap my brain around this.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:46 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I found this photo, which appears to confirm my thoughts on the oil sprayer. Note how the far side does not have the brass fittings near the valves, while the near side does. Assuming those are the oil sprayers, my first question would be "why did Porsche not have oil sprayers on the intake side from day one?"

My second question is "why didn't they add this to future head versions once the problem was known?"

Is there a problem introducing oil to the intake side like they do the exhaust side?

Old 02-26-2017, 02:36 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by robmypro
I found this photo, which appears to confirm my thoughts on the oil sprayer. Note how the far side does not have the brass fittings near the valves, while the near side does. Assuming those are the oil sprayers, my first question would be "why did Porsche not have oil sprayers on the intake side from day one?"

My second question is "why didn't they add this to future head versions once the problem was known?"

Is there a problem introducing oil to the intake side like they do the exhaust side?

Was the lobe wear seen in past on the exhaust lobes or intake too?

Quick Reply: Dundon Finger Follower Wear/Cam Wear Fix Update, and Engine Health Monitoring Intro