Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NYC detailer - cross thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 06:10 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi everyone. Resurrecting this thread… it was super helpful.

I used Detailing Dynamics for full PPF my last car and was pretty happy with the job they did. However for my next car I'm considering getting Larry at Ammo to do the PPF.

Anyone had work done by both? DD are great but seems like Larry might be even more detail orientated. Would love to know from someone that's seen his work first hand if it's really a step up.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2018, 07:57 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nimprojects

I used Detailing Dynamics for full PPF my last car and was pretty happy with the job they did. However for my next car I'm considering getting Larry at Ammo to do the PPF.

Anyone had work done by both? DD are great but seems like Larry might be even more detail orientated. Would love to know from someone that's seen his work first hand if it's really a step up.

Thanks
Do you plan to install any electronics:
RADAR
LIDAR
DASH CAM
Widow tint
Eddie at Detailing Dynamics does it all and does it very well.
Not sure why you would not go with Detailing Dynamics this time around especially if you were satisfied with their prior work
Old 12-05-2018, 10:07 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Originally Posted by 0to60
Do you plan to install any electronics:
RADAR
LIDAR
DASH CAM
Widow tint
Eddie at Detailing Dynamics does it all and does it very well.
Not sure why you would not go with Detailing Dynamics this time around especially if you were satisfied with their prior work
None of those things. Just PPF. I know they’re great at that extra stuff too.

I was happy, but the PPF job wasn’t what I’d consider a 10/10 (even given the limitations of PPF). I know PPF is very tricky to get right but I think there’s some room to achieve an even higher level.

Just trying to figure out if there’s someone that can reach that higher level. If not, happy to give them my business again, they’re good guys.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:18 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

None of those things. Just PPF. I know they’re great at that extra stuff too.

I was happy, but the PPF job wasn’t what I’d consider a 10/10 (even given the limitations of PPF). I know PPF is very tricky to get right but I think there’s some room to achieve an even higher level.

Just trying to figure out if there’s someone that can reach that higher level. If not, happy to give them my business again, they’re good guys.

What was your issue with their PPF ?
Almost every edge is wrapped behind parts. All my decals were removed and then reapplied over the PPF. They use Xpel which has a thicker glue then Suntek Ultra, so Xpel is more difficult to install then Suntek.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:54 PM
nimprojects
Racer

What was your issue with their PPF ?
Almost every edge is wrapped behind parts. All my decals were removed and then reapplied over the PPF. They use Xpel which has a thicker glue then Suntek Ultra, so Xpel is more difficult to install then Suntek.
Yep I know Xpel is thicker. Some of the edges could have been a little smoother in terms of how they were cut, and there were a couple tiny spots (on the mirrors for example) that were lifting up a little that I had to push back down with a plastic edge. I also know that they don’t remove the front bumper which some people will do (to further reduce visible edges).

Anyways I don’t want this to become a criticism of their work. I agree that they’re very good. I’m just wondering if there are people out there that are even better.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2018, 11:12 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Yep I know Xpel is thicker. Some of the edges could have been a little smoother in terms of how they were cut, and there were a couple tiny spots (on the mirrors for example) that were lifting up a little that I had to push back down with a plastic edge. I also know that they don’t remove the front bumper which some people will do (to further reduce visible edges).

Anyways I don’t want this to become a criticism of their work. I agree that they’re very good. I’m just wondering if there are people out there that are even better.

Thanks
Front bumper was removed, not sure why yours wasn't
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2018, 08:41 AM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

So glad this thread got started. I was thinking of asking the same question, as I have a C4S arriving in a few months and need to figure out a place to wash my car + decide what I'm doing for PPF, coating etc. I'm in Williamsburg, so Hyrdos looks perfect for washes.

Detailing Dynamics consistently comes up as the top place for PPF etc. What's a ballpark figure for a full PPF from them? I want to eliminate edges and the idea of some panels not being covered bugs me as I think I'll notice it (car is Fashion Grey).

Anyone used any of these other places (good to have options)?

Detailers Domain
Executive Paint Protection
Art of Warp
Jus Detailing

Thanks a lot, any insight much appreciated.
Just saw this, and figured I would chime in since I have experience with Executive Paint Protection (unfortunately). Also known as 631 Coatings, also known as LI Detailers. All under one roof.

Do yourself a favor and keep out of this place... Work is sloppy and very late. No attention to detail, and also missed a few spots that were agreed on and paid for. This is one place I used that I regret ever going to.

Last edited by RLNTL3S; 12-06-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:46 AM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks
I didn't think Larry did the actual install. I thought he used someone to help him even with his own car (from the few videos I watched).

He does some amazing detailing though : )
Old 12-06-2018, 09:17 AM
typicaltrabes
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry does the work himself. I am having him do my incoming GT3 in January. I spoke with him for about 15 minutes last week. He is without a doubt the most OCD detailer I have ever seen. The paint correction takes him multiple days, and another 3-4 to wrap the car. He had others do his 964 so it was easier to take video. Don't forget the videos are also a business for him, so often he asks questions or talks about basic concepts for the benefit of the viewer. Give him a call, or go see him work and you will understand why he is so highly respected. Nothing against DD I have used them in the past as well and the do good work, I just like Larry both as a guy and as detailer.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:42 AM
nimprojects
Racer

Front bumper was removed, not sure why yours wasn't
I asked DD if they remove the front bumper when inquiring about this new job and they said no.

Not it sure if they removed it on my current 911. I’ll go take a look…
Old 12-06-2018, 11:29 AM
nimprojects
Racer

I checked… pretty sure the front bumper was never removed given the visible edges (which to be fair are pretty neat and tidy).
Old 03-31-2019, 11:22 PM
nimprojects
Racer

I forgot to close the loop on this. Larry ended up doing my car. I’m very happy with the work, car looks incredible and you *really* have to search to find edges.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:45 PM
orclean1
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

DD did two of my cars and I agree the attention to detail is not a 10 ,but they charge 10 prices . I have found an installer that did my 911 and was very pleased and it was better then DD both in quality and cost.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:40 PM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 35 Posts

I asked DD if they remove the front bumper when inquiring about this new job and they said no.

Not it sure if they removed it on my current 911. I’ll go take a look…
They don’t do this on 991s—unless you insist. Reasoning is that the PPF seems to always bubble up when wrapped around the bumper edges. I trusted that was a legitimate rationale and then later started noticing on other cars the bubbling that DD had described would happen. So, I’m happy I put faith in their judgment.

Quick Reply: NYC detailer - cross thread