Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: LT Spider #908, and 911R thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 11:06 AM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated, I deserted Porsche by unloading my existing cars and began my search for a replacement. Not a daily driver. I wanted an occasion car that would titillate my senses every time I drove it. After much search that included a 430 Scud, 458, I located the car in my signature. The Balboni fit my criteria perfectly. Limited edition, rear wheel drive, stripped down. A real drivers car. It is fabulous. Could not be more different than my Turbo S, Turbo coupe or C2S 997. Every drive in this car gets the adrenaline pumping. You must fully concentrate on the driving experience or the car will take advantage of you. Have not had this much fun in a car before. Tracked it a couple of months ago and my heart is still pumping. First lap involved lots of tail spin and squeeling tires. After a few laps, I got familiar with the car's personality and the rest of the afternoon was a memorable experience. The added bonus, I get to look at it every day and its beauty still proves intoxicating.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:52 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

^I can understand your frustration, but you really can't blame pfaff. They were only given 5 (as you state) and they service hundreds of clients. Many of whom go through dozens of cars a year and have been loyal clients for decades. 918 owners, family & friends, corporate clients, etc...
Old 12-26-2016, 01:55 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Then why play the game. Simply advise up front that an allocation is not possible. No customer goes through dozens of cars per year.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:26 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
The fact that it's a car developed for enjoyment OFF the track in in the canyons etc.
The hardest thing to believe is Porsche leaving money on the table if they had sold it to demand... and the same goes for RSs. And the worst side effect of limiting not only the R, but RSs, is sending lots of people to McLaren, MB, etc.... whcih I'm sure Ichiban is happy about. Makes little sense to me to give up customers like that; not that many around.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:48 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Coincident
As stated, I deserted Porsche by unloading my existing cars and began my search for a replacement. Not a daily driver. I wanted an occasion car that would titillate my senses every time I drove it. After much search that included a 430 Scud, 458, I located the car in my signature. The Balboni fit my criteria perfectly. Limited edition, rear wheel drive, stripped down. A real drivers car. It is fabulous. Could not be more different than my Turbo S, Turbo coupe or C2S 997. Every drive in this car gets the adrenaline pumping. You must fully concentrate on the driving experience or the car will take advantage of you. Have not had this much fun in a car before. Tracked it a couple of months ago and my heart is still pumping. First lap involved lots of tail spin and squeeling tires. After a few laps, I got familiar with the car's personality and the rest of the afternoon was a memorable experience. The added bonus, I get to look at it every day and its beauty still proves intoxicating.
Is she a manual or automatic?? I had a chance for a lightly used Manual 2 years ago and I screwed up. Wish I pulled the trigger
Old 12-26-2016, 03:04 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I know the dealer does not care. When I requested the return of my deposit after I was advised that I would not be getting an allocation, I reminded him that their action would now result in me never purchasing another car from them again. Their response" sorry to hear that ".
You did not really think they would care did you??Very few of these dealers ever go out of biz so until they do none really care.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:26 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Is she a manual or automatic?? I had a chance for a lightly used Manual 2 years ago and I screwed up. Wish I pulled the trigger
It is the e gear. I only drive it in sport so you must use the paddle shifters. The shifts are extremely fast and smooth. And I am really enjoying it. Would have preferred the manual but this model is extremely rare to begin with and the manual that much more difficult to find.

The e gear in automatic is very notchy, jerky with very slow shifts. Never use it.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:57 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

It's amazing how many threads get polluted with people complaining they didn't get an "R"
Old 12-26-2016, 05:07 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

^ A lot of us are still pissed off about it.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:30 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

side view is much more subtle...need to get some more pics of this thing but it's getting the XPEL wrap now<br/>
Old 12-26-2016, 07:33 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

track-Larens

yep

close up, overcast light

playing nice with others...various brands on track together

lacing up in the GT4 CS

Me and the wife in the RS for some sighting laps before I let her drive this and the Mono

totally not racist, everyone welcome
Old 12-26-2016, 07:55 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is the e gear. I only drive it in sport so you must use the paddle shifters. The shifts are extremely fast and smooth. And I am really enjoying it. Would have preferred the manual but this model is extremely rare to begin with and the manual that much more difficult to find.

The e gear in automatic is very notchy, jerky with very slow shifts. Never use it.
You mention the shifts are extremely fast and smooth. Have you driven the 991.1 gt3 or RS and if so how do they compare to the Lambo?
Old 12-26-2016, 08:38 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
You mention the shifts are extremely fast and smooth. Have you driven the 991.1 gt3 or RS and if so how do they compare to the Lambo?
E gear is an antique single clutch system. During its days, it was never as good as the Ferrari F1 transmission, which was the benchmark at the time. The current GT3/GT3RS PDK will run circles around the single clutch systems.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:42 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Then why play the game. Simply advise up front that an allocation is not possible. No customer goes through dozens of cars per year.
The problem was, the dealer themselves didn't know how many allocations they were getting. Pfaff wasn't trying to play games, but when they received their allocations from Porsche Canada, they needed to prioritize their list of customers. 918 customers goes first, and if they had any left over, it goes to their best customers. Very simple.

I find it fascinating that people think they can just waltz into a dealer showroom and get a R. Even getting a Mclaren P1 went through a vetting process. When the car is limited production and is in high demand, this is the normal process.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:00 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
E gear is an antique single clutch system. During its days, it was never as good as the Ferrari F1 transmission, which was the benchmark at the time. The current GT3/GT3RS PDK will run circles around the single clutch systems.
Interesting and thank you.

Quick Reply: OT: LT Spider #908, and 911R thread