Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: LT Spider #908, and 911R thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 02:23 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Wow, that looks sick. I'd love to check out the car.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:50 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats and well deserved C.J. Hope you let the Mrs. drive it.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:23 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

With Mclaren, can you pretty much walk into any dealer and order the car you want without having to screw around with exclusive waiting lists, ridiculous markups, VIP programs and customers who are obviously more important than you?
Jim
Old 12-23-2016, 08:30 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
With Mclaren, can you pretty much walk into any dealer and order the car you want without having to screw around with exclusive waiting lists, ridiculous markups, VIP programs and customers who are obviously more important than you?
Jim
Too bad Porsche can't do that with GT cars.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:44 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Bingo. I'll drink to that.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:51 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 566 Posts

Well, if Porsche did that, we'd be b!tching about depreciation on GT cars. Pick your poison. I'm starting to prefer depreciation.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:36 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 866 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Well, if Porsche did that, we'd be b!tching about depreciation on GT cars. Pick your poison. I'm starting to prefer depreciation.
+1
The reason why Mclaren could do that is because there is no demand on their cars and hence, their cars depreciate like crazy. The LT seems to be holding up well for now, but that is until Mclaren releases their next car, which is right around the corner!
Old 12-24-2016, 10:33 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Jim
Local McLaren dealer has been trying to play the exclusive game, mainly with 675LT.

Originally Posted by unotaz
The reason why Mclaren could do that is because there is no demand on their cars and hence, their cars depreciate like crazy.
I'd argue it has more to do with all of their production being dedicated to GT cars - no SUV's, executive sedans, econo boxes, station wagons, yadda, yadda, yadda competing for production slots, R&D $$$, shared parts, etc.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:56 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Gorgeous just gorgeous.

The stuff coming out of Mclaren is getting better and better both in looks and mechanics - just need more dealerships.

They need guys like you CJ.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:54 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

CJ, you certainly are living a charmed life, but the great part about it, is that you genuinely seem really grounded and appreciative of what the big guy in the sky has given you, whether it be on the bump, behind the wheel, in the business world or simply being well articulated in sharing your thoughts and observations of a particular car. Thank you for sharing with us your thoughts, intel, experiences and observations, much appreciated. That 675 LT is gorgeous! Most certainly not a bad way to pass the time until the R is delivered. I can't wait to see how you like the R and your impressions of it and maybe a few anecdotal comparisons to other cars including but not limited to the RS. As well as other cars that maybe more focused on driving enjoyment rather than all out performance, while still performing at a very high level of performance.

Originally Posted by br911
Amazing. You can say it fits you like a glove. Congrats and once again McLaren doing what is right for their customers (albeit CJ is a special one).
I totally agree, while he may be a little more "special" than most of us, but anyone deserves to choose what color car they'd like if they're dropping multiple 6 figure coin on it. However, I may sound hypocritical here, but I do think there's room for a few models to be available in only a few colors that are limited to that model and become sort of a calling card for it, ie Liquid Silver Metallic on the 918.

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Gorgeous just gorgeous.

The stuff coming out of Mclaren is getting better and better both in looks and mechanics - just need more dealerships.

They need guys like you CJ.
I agree, I think one difference between CJ and other "dealers" is that he is a true car guy, an enthusiast rather than just a dollars and cents business guy. Nothing wrong with making dollars and cents as well. But the most in tune and successful not only in their business, but furthering a brands reach and reputation will be those who possess both skills, such as CJ. Now if he could only help me get into the car I'm looking to get which unfortunately isn't as "exclusive" as a 918, R, RS etc., but if and when it happens, I'd be happy to turn to his dealership(s) to make it happen
Old 12-25-2016, 02:05 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I'm used to cars depreciating and since I drive my cars I'll take the latter all the day long. I just can't stand the games, flipping, and speculation...give me what I want, how I want it.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:01 AM
unotaz
Drifting

I'm used to cars depreciating and since I drive my cars I'll take the latter all the day long. I just can't stand the games, flipping, and speculation...give me what I want, how I want it.
So sell your RS and get a Mclaren
Old 12-25-2016, 03:08 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nizer

I'd argue it has more to do with all of their production being dedicated to GT cars - no SUV's, executive sedans, econo boxes, station wagons, yadda, yadda, yadda competing for production slots, R&D $$$, shared parts, etc.
Without the SUV or the sedan, there will be no cash for the GT cars and the Motorsport program. Unless Porsche relied on funding from investors, it's impossible to run a sustainable sports car business in today's world without producing a mass commercial product like the Cayenne.

Look at Mclaren and their navigation system. Something as simple as a NAV system should be easy to do, but it just shows you in today's auto industry, little things like the navigation requires big bucks. Aston Martin has Mercedes, Lambo has Audi/VW, Ferrari has Fiat. Mclaren has deep pocket investors with oil money. I know they are well funded at this time, but it would be interesting to see if Mclaren follow a similar path down the line when their investors wants to see some major return on their investment.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:19 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Thanks to everyone. It's Christmas and Porsche still has not been able to deliver my R under the tree. Ironically, the car is paid for and I even have the license plate for it.

The 675LT is still the best car I have ever driven. The RS 4.0 997, CGT, and 993GT2 are the next best. I am excluding the P1 because you have to pay 2M for one now.

For backstory- the R was originally scheduled for euro delivery 11/7. Then got delayed (after I'd booked my Europe trip) and six weeks later still waiting (air freighted the car, or at least agreed to pay for it)

Mclaren is a fantastic car brand but it is not for everyone...not everyone can fork out 210k for a 570S, 230k for a 570GT or 400-500k for a 675LT. The price itself is the limiting factor and keeps it exclusive.

The main issue that everyone has with mclaren is that they launched the 12C with
1) 50% of the dealers being dicks
2) a certain number of cars needing updates
3) radio issues
4) not enough dealers so each store had too much forced inventory.

Since the 650S came out there have not been the issues or anything remotely resembling a high % of engine and trans failures on GT3 cars. The P1 needed a recall for a frunk latch upgrade. Took 30 mins per car. Some LT coupes needed extra glue for the carpet to solve a resonance NVH issue. Other than that, the cars all just go drive.

They have added dealers but because the volume is low there is realistically an issue opening new stores:

Give it to the local lambo guy?
Competition between other dealers for an open point?
Hope good dealers find a way to service a wider area?

My Scottsdale store covers customers in 6 states and we can sell pretty much anywhere but in the "good mclaren dealer agreement" if I sell a car into someone else's area, I have to send a commission check to that dealer, so I make less profit. Of course, he still has to deal with that guy for service, so it is a little weird but if anyone wants to buy a car from me I can sell it. I'll even help you spec it out.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:23 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only Porsches that do not severely depreciate( with the exception of the GT3) are the models regular humans cannot purchase. And the only Porsches I wish to currently own are the ones that are unavailable and not because they are limited production.

There is simply no excuse for the 911R being a limited production car that only a select few can buy. This is a car that many Porsche enthusiasts have been wishing and waiting for and to be denied ownership is appalling. I had a deposit on one many months before any dealers even had a clue the car was going into production. I was first in line at Pfaff many months before anyone else. I have owned 6 Porsches in the last 8 years either purchased at Pfaff and all serviced there. End of story, no 911R for me.

This experience has alienated me as a future Porsche owner. Sold my 2011 Turbo S Cab and 2016 Boxster S. Now getting my driving thrills from Italy.

Quick Reply: OT: LT Spider #908, and 911R thread