Sponsored by:

PTS or no PTS for new 991.2 gt3

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 10:46 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts
Default PTS or no PTS for new 991.2 gt3

I am sure this has been beaten down. I have searched many posted but trying to decide if a PTS is a blessing or curse. I usually by black or silver cars due my inability to like something for a long period of time. I really like the blues and greens and have been tossing around a PTS. Yesterday my dealer said it would not be a problem, so for those who have PTS colors, has it become "old" quick or do you like the uniqueness of the color. thanks
Old 12-20-2016, 08:35 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

PTS is not just a matter of clicking the PTS option box and or having your dealer say they can get one. I have tried twice to get a Porsche PTS and not be able to.

Production slots for PTS are limited and come and go at intervals that are not clearly delineated. Even when a PTS order receives a production slot, delays can be many months beyond a non PTS before delivery occurs.

On the positive side one gets a color that is potentially perfect for them, assuming they can somehow see a live sample in advance. Also due to the relative rarity of PTS cars, resale values tend to be higher for PTS cars, more than paying back the initial extra cost of PTS.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:40 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

If you have the option to spec a GT3 with PTS you definitely should.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:20 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PTS is the way to go if you're lucky enough to be one of the chosen ones.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:22 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

impressive that your dealer can already confirm this, as the PTS window has not been announced.. make sure he's not yanking your chain. Don't look at values when considering PTS.. go with it if there is a color you absolutely LOVE.. the whole "skittles" BS with everyone going as loud as they possibly can.. may make you tired over the long term. I would comb through all the pictures of old porsches you can find, and if there is a color-combo with wheels/stickers which really speaks to you, then go for it. Otherwise.. the headache of getting it to happen, and the resulting color.. may not be worth it.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:46 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Go for it. Please chime in when you've confirmed PTS window ...
Old 12-20-2016, 09:55 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Go for it. Please chime in when you've confirmed PTS window ...
Can't remember if I've asked you this but who do you deal with in the big smoke?
Old 12-20-2016, 10:07 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Oakville.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:31 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I have never purchased a new PCar so no idea, was told it was not an issue and should be able to get it. I will see what happens. only have had black and silver 911's and don't plan on getting rid of this one for some time. If it would be a PTS, it would probably be one thats more common than obscure. I like the voodoo blue and birch green, but never seen them in person.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:46 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougr743
I have never purchased a new PCar so no idea, was told it was not an issue and should be able to get it. I will see what happens. only have had black and silver 911's and don't plan on getting rid of this one for some time. If it would be a PTS, it would probably be one thats more common than obscure. I like the voodoo blue and birch green, but never seen them in person.
It definitely is an issue. Lots of very well connected and multiple new porsche buyers are denied PTS.

As far as color, I love voodoo. I was LUCKY enough to spec a gt4 last October in PTS. Irish green was also considered for my build.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:52 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

If you can, always PTS. It will pay for itself and then some when you sell.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:45 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

So here's a PTS scenario. A few years ago Speed Yellow was a standard colour and now is a PTS option. Should a Speed Yellow car now be worth a premium today vs one a few years ago. I know the answer but does it make any sense? Here's another. Racing Yellow is standard on the .1 GT3 but a PTS on a .1RS. Does that make any sense? Carmine Red is another and there's other colours out there, similar. Just an observation.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:54 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
So here's a PTS scenario. A few years ago Speed Yellow was a standard colour and now is a PTS option. Should a Speed Yellow car now be worth a premium today vs one a few years ago. I know the answer but does it make any sense? Here's another. Racing Yellow is standard on the .1 GT3 but a PTS on a .1RS. Does that make any sense? Carmine Red is another and there's other colours out there, similar. Just an observation.
I think it would depend on it actually being PTS for that year/model.
Example: LO is PTS on the GT3 and standard on the RS. There are tons of LO RS's, mine included. So LO GT3 would have a higher value difference in theory than the RS because it's not limited for this car. That said, I'm not sure if seeing so many LO RS's out there affects the perceived value of the GT3 version in the same color. Maybe slightly.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:59 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
I think it would depend on it actually being PTS for that year/model.
Example: LO is PTS on the GT3 and standard on the RS. There are tons of LO RS's, mine included. So LO GT3 would have a higher value difference in theory than the RS because it's not limited for this car. That said, I'm not sure if seeing so many LO RS's out there affects the perceived value of the GT3 version in the same color. Maybe slightly.
LO is not PTS on the GT3. It was available as a regular color on the 2016 GT3 when it was released on the RS.

Come on Tony! Get your PTS facts straight!
Old 12-21-2016, 06:26 PM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
...Don't look at values when considering PTS.. go with it if there is a color you absolutely LOVE.. the whole "skittles" BS with everyone going as loud as they possibly can.. may make you tired over the long term. I would comb through all the pictures of old porsches you can find, and if there is a color-combo with wheels/stickers which really speaks to you, then go for it. Otherwise.. the headache of getting it to happen, and the resulting color.. may not be worth it.
I really agree. You should order a PTS car only if you don't find a color that you like in the "regular" range, or have a color that you really like, either from an older Porsche, or from another brand by example.

You buy a car for you, not the next owner, don't you?

Quick Reply: PTS or no PTS for new 991.2 gt3