Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waiting for the 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 10:20 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I like voodoo blue and the Birch green, The birch green is an accent color on my boat, and love it, so i think i will be cool with it over time, no plans on getting rid of this one, with an 18 yr old in college and a 3 year old, i don't have plans on doing this again in the next few years. So just want to get what makes me happy and enjoy. I have never bought a new Pcar so this will be my first, always bought black or silver 911's and think it will be cool to have a unique color.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:47 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
No way there will be a wing-delete
Why do you say this? The reasoning behind it is to make a "budget" 911R.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:40 AM
rave426
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't see a wing delete. There is no reason for them to offer an option to make a GT3 look like a 911 R. It would be an exclusive option that would probably cost way more money than anybody would want to spend and have to go through approvals.

I just want PTS
Old 12-21-2016, 11:47 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Why should it cost so much? Couldn't it just be a different trunk lid and rear bumper with a diffuser or whatever witchcraft they did to even out the aero? Maybe a different splitter or something?

I don't see why the cost has to be high for this.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:27 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Do PTS cars ever resale for so much more than standard colours that they make back the thousands of dollars in additional initial cost on them? I'd have never thought of PTS as a value proposition.
I'm not sure about so much more but I would definitely say more than standard colours. I don't have any experience with PTS cars and resale but I'm sure others can chime in and tell their stories.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Why do you say this? The reasoning behind it is to make a "budget" 911R.
therein lies the reason many (myself included) don't think they would offer it. it's one thing to offer the same 4.0 motor and MT from the 911R, but to allow customers to recreate the look is something entirely different. not only would it encroach on the 911R owners' exclusivity, but it would fly in the face of the track-focused positioning of the GT3 within the 911 lineup.

I would probably be one of the few to order the wing delete if it were available, but unfortunately I just see no way of it happening.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:44 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brosef
therein lies the reason many (myself included) don't think they would offer it. it's one thing to offer the same 4.0 motor and MT from the 911R, but to allow customers to recreate the look is something entirely different. not only would it encroach on the 911R owners' exclusivity, but it would fly in the face of the track-focused positioning of the GT3 within the 911 lineup.

I would probably be one of the few to order the wing delete if it were available, but unfortunately I just see no way of it happening.
It wouldn't encroach on the exclusivity as it wouldn't have all the carbon fibre and magnesium bits in it.

I agree with it clashing with the GT3 image and position though. If they were gonna build the thing, I think it would make more sense to offer it as a different model rather than as a GT3 without a wing.

It seems like it would be silly not to though. I'm sure the 911R was probably more praised than they ever expected, even winning some car of the year stuff and what not. Right now they've got absolutely no way of capitalizing on that.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:50 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 146 Posts

I could be wrong but from the cars I have seen listed over the past years I would say a PTS car will always list for 5500 more (I don't know when it started at 5500. Now I know it's higher) than a similar optioned/mileage/msrp car. Don't know what they would sell at but they always list for higher. Id say sellers ask for 15k more on average, but someone will have to correct me as I have no experience with pts Porsche ownership.

QUOTE=Brosef;13827669]therein lies the reason many (myself included) don't think they would offer it. it's one thing to offer the same 4.0 motor and MT from the 911R, but to allow customers to recreate the look is something entirely different. not only would it encroach on the 911R owners' exclusivity, but it would fly in the face of the track-focused positioning of the GT3 within the 911 lineup.

I would probably be one of the few to order the wing delete if it were available, but unfortunately I just see no way of it happening.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-21-2016, 12:50 PM
Seranad
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brosef

i think you are right but with porsche you just never know :-)

didnt they offered the duck tail with the carrera classic and a bit later it was available for all?
so in the end the only thing special about the classic was the bubble roof and the retro seats and dials

sounds a bit like the R case doesnt it? :-)
Old 12-21-2016, 02:25 PM
JoshuaKM1
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

My sales rep here in Charleston has heard from credible sources that there will be a wing delete option. The car is less powerful than the 911R so it wouldn't **** off the R owners. Obviously it's all speculation at this point and he may be talking out of his ***. Obviously deleting the wing would decrease downforce and make the car less desirable for track duty. Would you notice any difference during daily driving duty? I would also consider deleting the wing to increase rear visibility.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:15 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Lol@Wing Delete...

You guys want the wrong car!
Old 12-21-2016, 03:33 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Lol@Wing Delete...

You guys want the wrong car!
I don't want the wing delete. The reason I brought it up is because someone here mentioned somewhere that the manual might come automatically without the wing, like the R to the GT3RS. If that's the case, it poses a bit of a problem right?
Old 12-21-2016, 03:37 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

You'll learn in time that common sense combined with bits and pieces of info,put through a mental " strainer " go a long way on this forum.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:53 PM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Love how this thread is

moving around in the forum i started following the official 991.2 gt3s thread. Now i realize i have to read all threads to keep up!
By the way my cleanibg lady goes to retire tomorrow. From now on its all loose threads.. i mean ends..
Old 12-25-2016, 07:29 AM
Spacedust
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Time you laughed about my cleaning Lady ...
.... but last night ... , she said:

7th of January
"Clubsport" with Wing and PDK
"Touring" with manual and without wing

Quick Reply: Waiting for the 991.2 GT3