Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 08:30 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
What US dealer were told. 3.8 and not 4.0.
If it's a 3.8 then how are they gonna increase the power? Especially when everyone is assuming red line will fall.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:35 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

From a product positioning point of view it makes sense. The 911R retains its unique drivetrain. Porsche are the experts at micro segmentation, so no surprise they have done it again here.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:54 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Porsche dealers are wrong all the time all over the world about so many things. I get much more accurate information from Rennlist than my dealer about almost everything.

I have much more trust in Whoopsy as a 918 owner hearing directly from AP and Dr. W, that the .2 GT3 will be 4.0L.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:55 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Porsche dealers are wrong all the time all over the world about so many things. I get much more accurate information from Rennlist than my dealer about almost everything.

I have much more trust in Whoopsy as a 918 owner hearing directly from AP and Dr. W, that the .2 GT3 will be 4.0L.
^+1
Old 12-15-2016, 01:26 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Swede01
Hello Rennlist!

New on the forum and first post! I have been an avid reader for quite some time now and really appreciate all the knowledge on this forum!

The reason for signing up is that today I recieved the email confirming the allocation for the 991.2 GT3 here in Sweden! Super excited about this since the dealer had, as he expressed it, extremly high demand and extremely low supply.

Build will begin after release in Geneva with delivery estimated to oct-nov-dec 2017 - can´t wait to spec this thing!
Hej, Grattis!

My Wife is Swedish born and raised there, I asked her how to say Congrats to you
Old 12-15-2016, 01:46 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by 80s
@swede01 holy crap this is kind of late. However i paid my deposit last week. Question is if the car arrives as late as say october, i kind of feel that i need to do some driving, not just drive ut to my garage for wintering. So perhaps i should go for germanydelivery, drive it to the ring take a few laps then back to Sweden? Kul att det är fler svenskar här även Kobolt!
I got my RS in October. Took delivery in Sweden. Drove it to the Ring. Arrived at the Ring with 3000km on the car: broken in.

If you do factory delivery you might want to brake in the car before using it properly (varying opinions on braking in procedure).

Anyway Swedes: manual or PDK?
Old 12-15-2016, 04:35 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

We have had experience with people misinterpreting what they believe AP has told them with his yoda speak also. (after meeting him on a factory tour we had someone believing that the street gt4 would come with pdk).

If this was just some random sales rep saying it I would be sceptical also, but this is what the Porsche head office told the dealers. My money is on it being a 3.8.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:38 PM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt

Anyway Swedes: manual or PDK?
Im now considering manual, might go no wing if diffuser if possible.
IMO it depends alot what one has driven before.
As for me the last performance cars ive had is
993tt
Golf gti
Golf r
Audi rs4 -13
Rs6 14
Rs6 15
Rs6: perf pack 16
All sold sorry for
Test drove my friends gt3 -14 (couple mounths ago) and knew i had to have one.
Knowing i will not be the fastest guy (although wanting to be) going through the gears would be quite nice in the weekend/ring car!
I am so looking forward to getting any more info on this car, surfing rennlist daily is a new drug for me!
Kobolt, what would you have chosen?
Old 12-15-2016, 09:46 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bardman
We have had experience with people misinterpreting what they believe AP has told them with his yoda speak also. (after meeting him on a factory tour we had someone believing that the street gt4 would come with pdk).

If this was just some random sales rep saying it I would be sceptical also, but this is what the Porsche head office told the dealers. My money is on it being a 3.8.
To expand on this, AP is wont to answer questions such as "Will the 991.2 GT3 have a 3.8 or 4.0" with something along the lines of "We would have to have done something magical to get more power out of the 3.8 and with each model we always want to increase the power a little". So one person walks away from that thinking "Ok, they are definitely putting the 4.0 in", and another person walks away from that thinking "Wow, they have really done something special with the 3.8 to get even more out of it".

AP almost never directly states anything thats not officially released, he implies a lot of things, and us mugs often interpret his statements incorrectly. Another example was the power output of the GT4 where he made some comments about it only being 385HP at 10000 feet altitude, and everyone jumped on that and assumed Porsche had significantly underrated the output of the engine when in reality it probably is a 385HP car.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:58 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

^GT4 owner on ED or 918 owner @ VIP event......................................
Old 12-15-2016, 10:15 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

So AP stand for anecdotal prediction? I believe porsche engineers are brighter than that. I believe they have no less than 3 variables to go with and can pull the trigger on any one of them. Right down to the very last moment. The choice is made based on intelect from the competion and success of there R&D. Choice A is a 3.8 with a solved valve train issue and a 10 hp jump, 991.2 bodywork and a 8 speed pdk gearbox. Choice B is a TT power plant based off the Carreras 3 liter boosted to 500 hp and a 8 speed pdk. Choice C is a 4 liter similar to the RS only detuned with a 8 speed pdk. Seeing how porsche has made its greatest stride using transmission technology I don't forsee them trying to squeeze out more from the motors alone. The transmission may not be the focal point this time around but a combination of both will produce significant gains to please new buyers.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:38 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
To expand on this, AP is wont to answer questions such as "Will the 991.2 GT3 have a 3.8 or 4.0" with something along the lines of "We would have to have done something magical to get more power out of the 3.8 and with each model we always want to increase the power a little". So one person walks away from that thinking "Ok, they are definitely putting the 4.0 in", and another person walks away from that thinking "Wow, they have really done something special with the 3.8 to get even more out of it".

AP almost never directly states anything thats not officially released, he implies a lot of things, and us mugs often interpret his statements incorrectly. Another example was the power output of the GT4 where he made some comments about it only being 385HP at 10000 feet altitude, and everyone jumped on that and assumed Porsche had significantly underrated the output of the engine when in reality it probably is a 385HP car.
Interesting observations Bardman...
Old 12-15-2016, 10:43 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
So AP stand for anecdotal prediction? I believe porsche engineers are brighter than that. I believe they have no less than 3 variables to go with and can pull the trigger on any one of them. Right down to the very last moment. The choice is made based on intelect from the competion and success of there R&D. Choice A is a 3.8 with a solved valve train issue and a 10 hp jump, 991.2 bodywork and a 8 speed pdk gearbox. Choice B is a TT power plant based off the Carreras 3 liter boosted to 500 hp and a 8 speed pdk. Choice C is a 4 liter similar to the RS only detuned with a 8 speed pdk. Seeing how porsche has made its greatest stride using transmission technology I don't forsee them trying to squeeze out more from the motors alone. The transmission may not be the focal point this time around but a combination of both will produce significant gains to please new buyers.

Where are you getting this idea about a 8 speed PDK? Thats not happening for the 991.2 GT3. The .2 GT3 PDK software will be further tweaked, but the actual gearbox and 7 gear ratios will be the same as the .1 GT3.

Now all bets are off for the 992 GT3, but porsche will not reinvent the wheel for the .2 GT3 PDK box.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Where are you getting this idea about a 8 speed PDK? Thats not happening for the 991.2 GT3. The .2 GT3 PDK software will be further tweaked, but the actual gearbox and 7 gear ratios will be the same as the .1 GT3.
Just curious.

Do you know that for a fact? Or is it just an educated guess?

I see no reason why PAG would not transplant (with some "PDK-S" tweaks) the 8-speed PDK box from the new Panny to the 1.2 GT3.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:12 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RealityGT
^GT4 owner on ED or 918 owner @ VIP event......................................
Wealth and wisdom are not always correlated (trump joke withheld). And AP is who he is. If he is prepared to use his doublespeak on recorded interviews with journalists, I have no doubt he is as comfortable using it at VIP events as he is meeting someone doing ED.

In any case, I think it suits the brand micro segmentation better that the 1.2 GT3 has the 3.8, so the branding lens and an unambiguous message from head office sells it for me.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update