Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 06:50 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul
Yea as I said its an extreme example. It doesn't matter what options are included, if your goal is to sell it for less than 2k depreciation, you will get at least 79k out of a Boxster Spyder regardless of what option is on it.

I'll give you one last example, and trust me there are many others examples. Back in March 2016, if you got the very first batch of Macan GTS, and you built it yourself just black on black with one option: Apple Car play, your msrp is 69,030. 2017 model now included back up camera, PCM, Lane Departure, and GTS comes with heated seats, air suspension, 20", sport exhaust, leather package, black PDLS, and more. It is sufficient for any resale. I've seen more than 3 people got 7% discount at 3 different dealers on the first 2 production batch. That makes your purchase price $64,200. 65k if you include acquisition fee. If you drove that 10k miles in the first 6 months as mentioned above, you're at September/October of 2016, and your car is still a 2017 model. Average auction price and trade in value then is around 68k for a Macan GTS with 5k miles. You'll be able to get at least 62k out of it, which makes it a 2k depreciation (most likely you'll actually get more than that to break even to 1k depreciation).
Don't know of any acquisition fee on a purchase in my neck of the woods. That is usually tied to a lease (which isn't a purchase in my book; its a rental). Is that a CA thing?
Old 04-17-2017, 06:51 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Yea as I said its an extreme example. It doesn't matter what options are included, if your goal is to sell it for less than 2k depreciation, you will get at least 79k out of a Boxster Spyder regardless of what option is on it.

I'll give you one last example, and trust me there are many others examples. Back in March 2016, if you got the very first batch of Macan GTS, and you built it yourself just black on black with one option: Apple Car play, your msrp is 69,030. 2017 model now included back up camera, PCM, Lane Departure, and GTS comes with heated seats, air suspension, 20", sport exhaust, leather package, black PDLS, and more. It is sufficient for any resale. I've seen more than 3 people got 7% discount at 3 different dealers on the first 2 production batch. That makes your purchase price $64,200. 65k if you include acquisition fee. If you drove that 10k miles in the first 6 months as mentioned above, you're at September/October of 2016, and your car is still a 2017 model. Average auction price and trade in value then is around 68k for a Macan GTS with 5k miles. You'll be able to get at least 62k out of it, which makes it a 2k depreciation (most likely you'll actually get more than that to break even to 1k depreciation).

The examples you are using are a stretch. Basically you have to buy new model cars right when they are released and get a good discount on them. Then sell for high market value with 12k miles on the odometer. This might work in a few cases, but in general you will lose a lot buying new non GT/limited Porsches. Not to mention the sales tax you would have to pay on purchase. If you are leasing then you have to deal with Porsche's terrible money factors for 6 months - 1 year. Either way most people will lose a lot more than a couple grand.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:08 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Don't know of any acquisition fee on a purchase in my neck of the woods. That is usually tied to a lease (which isn't a purchase in my book; its a rental). Is that a CA thing?
Originally Posted by drdonger
The examples you are using are a stretch. Basically you have to buy new model cars right when they are released and get a good discount on them. Then sell for high market value with 12k miles on the odometer. This might work in a few cases, but in general you will lose a lot buying new non GT/limited Porsches. Not to mention the sales tax you would have to pay on purchase. If you are leasing then you have to deal with Porsche's terrible money factors for 6 months - 1 year. Either way most people will lose a lot more than a couple grand.

Yes, acquisition fee is only tied to a lease, you lease it to avoid paying the $6000-10k sales tax.

It might sounds like a stretch for you, but a lot of people are doing it. Obviously I'm not saying just go buy any non-GT Porsche and you'll be good, most cases you'll lose a lot of money. They key is to spot all these different cases, like for example I can already name 2 non-GT cars that you can just walk into a dealer now and buy, and the discounts won't be a stretch too. There will always be at least a car on the market, you just gotta know which, and how to pay for it, and how to option it.

If you go see the other thread I've been commenting for "Buying out right vs. Financing", I gave a complete break down on the fees and money factor. If you leased the Macan GTS like I mentioned above, you pay $211 per month due to the 0.002 Money Factor and 63$ on sales per month on the lease. You only pay for 5 months if you keep it for 6 months, that's $1370 of total interest and fees. You can also opt to waive acquisition fee to save that $995. Drive and enjoy the car for half year and cost you 2k? its a steal. That's 4k every year, and 16k for 4 years. I bet a Prius depreciate more than 16k in 4 years, but that's driving one Toyota for 4 years, where you can drive 8 new cars over the span of 4 years. No maintenance.

And these are not sold at high market value as I mentioned, being super conservative here, if auction value is going to 68k, you'll most likely get 66k-69k for trade in, and all I'm asking is 62k which is lower than and being super conservative.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts
Default let me google that for you...

That is an extreme example. That is in the 911R ballpark realm so to speak.

How about a regular one. That was the basic premise; wasn't it? Otherwise hindsight is always 20/20.

P.S.
Buying the 981 Spyder for low 80s with light options and then stating 90% are now going for $104k+ with 12k miles is also misleading without listing the comparison options included.
someone not doing your search work for you, is not misleading you, it's just called not spoonfeeding you while still offering incredible value and perspective to this forum. but, here's the spoonfed search for you though, all flavors available at all prices.

Spyder looks to have maintained it's value decently well.. some MSRP or above despite some miles. and yes, these are asking prices.. but it's a good indication.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...OXSTE%7CSpyder
Old 04-17-2017, 07:23 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Oh you would be surprised then haha.

What if I told you, you can change a new car every 6 months and put 12k miles on it, and it will depreciate $1000-$2000

Never service, never change anything.
If the car allows me to use the carpool lane then I'm down....tell me more...
Old 04-17-2017, 07:25 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
someone not doing your search work for you, is not misleading you, it's just called not spoonfeeding you while still offering incredible value and perspective to this forum. but, here's the spoonfed search for you though, all flavors available at all prices.

Spyder looks to have maintained it's value decently well.. some MSRP or above despite some miles. and yes, these are asking prices.. but it's a good indication.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...OXSTE%7CSpyder
I'm not surprised that you are taking a general statement and blow it up, making it personal based on your ownership involvement of the model referenced. Especially when the link goes to a general and limited place of residence instead of expanding it to show something other than a limited viewpoint.
The world is bigger and the cost of living, which drives the cost of other commodities, therefore will be different as well.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:25 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, acquisition fee is only tied to a lease, you lease it to avoid paying the $6000-10k sales tax.

It might sounds like a stretch for you, but a lot of people are doing it. Obviously I'm not saying just go buy any non-GT Porsche and you'll be good, most cases you'll lose a lot of money. They key is to spot all these different cases, like for example I can already name 2 non-GT cars that you can just walk into a dealer now and buy, and the discounts won't be a stretch too. There will always be at least a car on the market, you just gotta know which, and how to pay for it, and how to option it.

If you go see the other thread I've been commenting for "Buying out right vs. Financing", I gave a complete break down on the fees and money factor. If you leased the Macan GTS like I mentioned above, you pay $211 per month due to the 0.002 Money Factor and 63$ on sales per month on the lease. You only pay for 5 months if you keep it for 6 months, that's $1370 of total interest and fees. You can also opt to waive acquisition fee to save that $995. Drive and enjoy the car for half year and cost you 2k? its a steal. That's 4k every year, and 16k for 4 years. I bet a Prius depreciate more than 16k in 4 years, but that's driving one Toyota for 4 years, where you can drive 8 new cars over the span of 4 years. No maintenance.

And these are not sold at high market value as I mentioned, being super conservative here, if auction value is going to 68k, you'll most likely get 66k-69k for trade in, and all I'm asking is 62k which is lower than and being super conservative.
A Boxster Spyder is pretty much a limited/GT car. It is the Boxster version of the GT4. As far as Macan GTS's are concerned. All the ones I see listed on Porsche's pre-owned site have depreciated a lot more than $2-3000. Especially ones with over 5k miles. You stated that you could drive it for $12000 miles and sell it within 6 months. I only see 1 GTS over $12,000 miles and it has lost over $10,000 of its msrp.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:37 PM
chaosoul
Pro

A Boxster Spyder is pretty much a limited/GT car. It is the Boxster version of the GT4. As far as Macan GTS's are concerned. All the ones I see listed on Porsche's pre-owned site have depreciated a lot more than $2-3000. Especially ones with over 5k miles. You stated that you could drive it for $12000 miles and sell it within 6 months. I only see 1 GTS over $12,000 miles and it has lost over $10,000 of its msrp.

Which is why I said you had to sell it a the right time.

Did I not mention buy it in March 2016 and sell it at Sep 2016, when you still have a 2017 model car in 2016? There was only 5-7 used GTS for sale back in Sep 2016 in the whole country

Right now there is already 2018 model in the horizon, and prices have come down so its not a valid opportunity anymore. The opportunity keeps changing all the time, every week, every month, if you waited till 2 months after the allocations for Spyder came out, you wouldn't be able to get a discount then either, or an allocation.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:38 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

[
+1

Seem when they come on here and are wanting to buy their way to the front of the line.
Originally Posted by BrntRubber
Great thread!

Can I ask, how many cars does a new client likely need to buy to get serious consideration for GT/RS cars and other special cars in a major metropolitan European dealership? FYI no European dealers charge over msrp.

I know they have several long standing good clients, but I was wondering, if I am buying a 991.2 GT3 (been waiting a long long time), along with the New Cayenne this year, and wanted the upcoming 3RS or a reasonably limited end of 991 NA car, will I likely get one? I would also happily give a letter of intent on the Miasiom E.

I ask because I barely got a a GT3 (letter of intent was given in 2014) and it will be a very late build. I am hoping buying the cayenne and wanting to place a deposit for a third car, in such a short period, will make a big difference.

Would it make a difference if I also commited to only trading/selling it with the same dealer if I wanted a change within a couple years of purchase?

Three high value cars in a 12/18 months (depending on release) should make me a medium/high value customer I hope.

Advice is appreciated.

Thanks

I thought my questions were very fair and reasonable.

I live in a country where dealers can't charge over msrp and only high value clients get allocations. I really like these cars, want to get an allocation and am trying to obtain knowledge on this forum of the best way to do that. I'm not sure why that is so funny.

Also let's face it bud, anyone can buy their way to the top of the list. It's just a question of how much and over how long.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:43 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Which is why I said you had to sell it a the right time.

Did I not mention buy it in March 2016 and sell it at Sep 2016, when you still have a 2017 model car in 2016? There was only 5-7 used GTS for sale back in Sep 2016 in the whole country

Right now there is already 2018 model in the horizon, and prices have come down so its not a valid opportunity anymore. The opportunity keeps changing all the time, every week, every month, if you waited till 2 months after the allocations for Spyder came out, you wouldn't be able to get a discount then either, or an allocation.
I really question my ability to get a solid discount on a newly released model, but if you say it is so I'll take your word for it. In a separate thread you said the new Panny wasn't even being discounted. My history of discounts on non-GTs is 5-7%. Seems a stretch to expect anything above 5% on a new release, but I guess I need a different dealer.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:44 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

I live in a country where dealers can't charge over msrp and only high value clients get allocations. I really like these cars, want to get an allocation and am trying to obtain knowledge on this forum of the best way to do that. I'm not sure why that is so funny.

Also let's face it bud, anyone can buy their way to the top of the list. It's just a question of how much and over how long.
Wouldn't it therefore be better to ask that question on a localized forum like pistonheads instead of an international, mostly US centric one?
Old 04-17-2017, 07:52 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Like I was trying to say, you can't take values on the market now. Sep 2016 is 7-8 months ago. Keeping a car for 6 months now, vs 6 months in March/April 2016 is completely different story. The opportunity is now loss with 40+ used cars for sale and new inventory on the lot where people can buy at discount. It drives the market down because you miss out on the market of people who can't wait 4 months to get their Macan GTS, so rather just get a slightly used one. Having 2018 model on the horizon won't help either. Its simple market mechanism, if you have two identical car one 2017 model one 2018 model at same price, people will always choose the 2018 model one, this creates a push down where 2018 model is worth more than 2017, and 2017 is worth more than 2016. Back in early 2016, April, you already have a 2017 car, and its still 8 months before the calendar year turns 2017, and 16 months before the next model year Macan GTS arrives.

Also, even if we are looking at current market prices, which doesn't reflect the prices of last September, Upon looking at the used inventory now that you mentioned it, there are two used Macan GTS for sale in the whole country and they are of the cheapest: 66k and 66.5k retail price. And as I suspected, they did not keep the car for 6 months, 66k one kept for 1 year, and 66.5k kept for 10 months. The original MSRP doesn't matter, its their choice they spend extra money on the options that don't reflect their value so that's why I said options matter a lot. (For example, you can say a 100k GT4 with LWB will keep its MSRP, and PTS is even better, so what about a 155k MSRP GT4 in PTS and LWB and CXX, will that keep its MSRP because it got more options?) Even looking at current values, the dealer probably gave each of them 61-62k for each car knowing how Porsche preowned trade in works. Even at these values it is looking pretty good, so you can imagine if they kept it only 6 months instead of 1 year, and sold it in last Sep/Oct instead, the numbers are way way better.

And even if its not 2k depreciation, so what? Even if we go to 3k or 4k, that's still buying two brand new Porsche per year for a cost of 6-8k, still good I am sure by a lot of you guy's standards.

Boxster Spyder being limited or not or related to GT4 doesn't really matter. The point is you can get one as Joe Schmoe first time buyer. Obviously I can claim, why don't you just buy a new GT3RS at MSRP every half year, but obviously 99.9% of the people can't get more than 1-2 allocations, so that would not be a correct claim. But literally the first month of allocation release, there are dealers that just have wide open allocations with no line, no ADM, and some gave small discounts. You don't have to be a previous customer to buy one.

The point being is that there are so many different cases and situation and you can't just put every case in cookie cutter. This one case may be buying a limited car that you could just easily get allocations to, another case is a just-released trim or model, what will work couple months ago probably won't work now. Its all unique.

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
I really question my ability to get a solid discount on a newly released model, but if you say it is so I'll take your word for it. In a separate thread you said the new Panny wasn't even being discounted. My history of discounts on non-GTs is 5-7%. Seems a stretch to expect anything above 5% on a new release, but I guess I need a different dealer.

Yea everything I said is perfectly do-able for someone with no connection, probably prior purchase history would make it easier, but not a requirement.

If I said if you got 7% discount on Macan S in 2014, of course it will hold value but that's actually almost impossible unless you really know someone back then. But Macan GTS is perfectly do-able with that discount, I've seen a few first time buyers getting those prices. Because it was 2016 and Macan was already out for 2 years. The GTS did not create as much of a hype in the beginning as they hoped, also they produced a lot. So it wasn't really a new model release more like a new trim release. You gotta shop around a decent amount, pulling leverage between different dealer's written offer, someone will bite eventually.

Yea Panamera you will have a hard time getting more than 3% discount at the moment so there really isn't much opportunity there, plus buyers, auctions are not confident with Panamera values yet because of its history in the past 3 years.

Last edited by chaosoul; 04-17-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:03 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Great info and thank you for taking the time to post so prolifically
Old 04-17-2017, 08:11 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
If the car allows me to use the carpool lane then I'm down....tell me more...

Haha... if you're talking about Porsche then there is no carpool sticker. You can just put your Prius carpool sticker on your Barney though.

If you're talking about outside of Porsche then there are so many choices to spend almost no money to own with carpool stickers. Although a lot of them are much crappier to drive and own than your Prius. And yes, I've done a 0$ lease before, downpayment is $0, and monthly payment is $0. Just return the car when the lease is up

[

Sorry, not too familiar to European dealer systems way of working to comment accurately. Its probably gonna vary a lot country by country, like in Germany where MSRP is 162k USD vs Holland like 220k+ I am sure they treat order system very differently.

My guess is you want tell them you want the car really early before its debut and put a deposit, and I'm sure that might not be enough. So prior purchase history, service history will all help and getting to know the manager so they know you by your name will all help. It all depends how much demand it is in your country and what that particular dealer have in terms of their client list.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:24 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I'm not surprised that you are taking a general statement and blow it up, making it personal based on your ownership involvement of the model referenced. Especially when the link goes to a general and limited place of residence instead of expanding it to show something other than a limited viewpoint.
The world is bigger and the cost of living, which drives the cost of other commodities, therefore will be different as well.
Now THAT's funny. Why don't you check the search criteria again, look closely, what do you see? oh hey! the entire US is included in the search, that zip code is included as the required starting point! waddya know?

I'm calling you out for calling someone "misleading" when in fact, they have quickly become a massive asset to this forum, and not, as you claim, because I own any vehicle which is just a small part of this conversation. You're getting chastised because you very inappropriately decided to call someone misleading, that's it.

Last edited by CAlexio; 04-17-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update