Sponsored by:

7:14.3 GT3 at The Ring, real?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 08:46 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
It is the same lap and driver where the RS was 17 sec slower (but the RS ran during 250kph speed limit and its real time was 4 sec slower at 7:32 and was calculated to be 7:28 without limit). Could be some inaccuracy here, but 17 sec is very long...
I don't know. Some say BTG some say almost full lap.

A $200K car posting a time better then a 918?

You know what they say. If it looks to good to be true....

Not buying it. Fast yes. That fast? Not so fast. Somethings fishy here.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:48 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Youre missing the point.
AMG blends in..
S550Coupe same thing as S65 Coupe to average Toyota driver.
Buy them 2 years old with 5! Years Unlimited Miles warranty that is equal to new warranty that is transferrable.

Case in point bought car for wifey in 2008.
A 2005 CL65 604HP 735TQ. Best car I ever owned.
New 189k I paid 51k
Bought with 20K miles and besides new tires every 6k miles (wifey is German hates Mercedes) sold it for 41K with 60k miles.

My current taxi looking 2014 E63 paid $58k and warranty till mid 2021.
And as apposed to RS I actually have to look far enough ahead to make sure there's nothing in my trajectory. Torque is king.

Blah cars? Whatever. Great warranty, cheap awesome power and they cost nothing to operate unless wifey is German and thinks she's drive slow because she still drives the cars like the caRS she had in Germany, the throttle pedal was on/off switch to her 25 years ago....
Point well taken. Maybe wait a couple years and look for a nice used example.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:41 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
What passed the R like he was standing still (Cup car)? After a minute the R was so far behind you would assume it was more than 10 seconds, Are we to conclude that the car that passed him did the Ring in less than seven minutes?

Also, regarding the GT3 how is it he had a clear track? I don't think it was a factory sponsored run.

I guess that it was a Mercedes GT Race car of some sort - maybe for VLN.
Running on slicks and they do the complete VLN configuration of Nürburgring (Nordshleife + Grand Prix track) under 8 minutes. So: definitely under 7 minutes for the race car.

The GT3 is most likely being driven on a trackday - you see his trackday number in the windshield. It happens rather often on some trackdays that you get laps without traffic - especially in the late afternoon when people are tired.

Manthey Racing organizes a trackday with just Porsches and very few cars on track.

FWIW: I was at a trackday at Nürburgring (2015) and we where something like 24 cars(!) driving so it was kind of lonely from time to time.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:51 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

The Sport Auto Lap

As you can see on this picture the start and finish in a SA lap is not at the same spot: So a SA lap is not the complete track - but almost.

The area marked T2 is used as a parking spot during some races and during the Industri pool testday this is where the cars enter the track. This was where the Touristdrive entrance was before they built the one being used today.

I believe that SA usually is trying to do their testing during the Industripool days and therefore probably most be prepared that there might enter a car from the right side - going on track, coming from T2.

During trackdays some racing teams (Porsche, Black Falcon, Lexus...) use the T2 as their pitstop so they don't end up on the same parking lot as us mortals.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like less than 2s from a full lap?

Manus lap OP posted was probably an RSR or Manthy day. I think that's when he usually goes. You need a place to safely get in and off the track I guess...

Quick Reply: 7:14.3 GT3 at The Ring, real?