Sponsored by:

GT3RS - Satin or Shiny?? - Paint Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Auto Armour Inc
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up GT3RS - Satin or Shiny?? - Paint Protection Film

We recently had the opportunity to install Xpel's paint protection film on these two Porsche's. One had Xpel Ultimate installed - which leaves your car glossy, and shiny. The other, had Xpel Stealth installed - which leaves your car with a satin or "frozen" finish. Which one is your favorite??

Why do we love Xpel? Their website says it best:

"XPEL paint protection film works as an invisible layer of armor over your car’s finish. Our crystal-clear, energy-absorbent polyurethane film is computer cut from a database of precision templates specific to your car, and then safely bonded to the vulnerable painted surfaces offering up to ten years of guaranteed protection. XPEL is 100% safely removable on factory paint, and provides all of the protection you need with none of the peeling, cracking, yellowing, and blistering that can happen with other less-advanced films on the market."

So which do you like better - Ultimate or Stealth?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:02 PM
Tony007
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I vote the glossy film.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony007:
catdog2 (12-15-2020), fijibubba (12-15-2020)
Old 12-05-2016, 09:41 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I like shiny cars.

How does the stealth look after track use, with all the usual gravel and rubber marks that need some pressure to remove?
The following 2 users liked this post by consolidated:
catdog2 (12-15-2020), fijibubba (12-15-2020)
Old 12-05-2016, 09:42 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stealth for a change.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:03 PM
Auto Armour Inc
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony007
I vote the glossy film.
I've thought this for a long time also, until we finished this satin white one. I really like the satin white.

Originally Posted by consolidated
I like shiny cars.

How does the stealth look after track use, with all the usual gravel and rubber marks that need some pressure to remove?

No issues. I personally think that satin is easier to clean than gloss PPF. We also coated the cars with CQuartz Finest, so that helps a lot with removing rubber and cone marks... makes it a ton easier.

Originally Posted by bronson7
Stealth for a change.
Right? Now, Stealth black, not so much. But we've had a lot of pearl whites, whites, greys and recently we did a PTS Lime gold metallic. It was a Turbo S I think. Stunning
Old 12-05-2016, 10:11 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the stealth and Modesta on my Rhodium GT3. Impossible to get the rubber marks off the car. You can't see them from a distance, but they are noticeable up close. I tried everything to get them off. When I had JC at Detailed Designs look at them with his scope, he confirmed they were abrasions. I love the look, but would never do it on a car that will be tracked heavily. My regular Xpel showed the marks much less after heavy track use. Might not be an issue on a darker color.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:51 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

I like both. The car is beautiful either way. The satin finish is very cool though and different.

When I was at the dealer this past Friday getting my oil changed the techs and service reps were marveling over the satin finish. Not only did they love it but they couldn't believe it was a wrap. They all stated it was the best job they had ever seen and they couldn't even tell it was a wrap unless I told them. They said the car look like it had been painted with a mat orange finish.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:12 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I like both. The car is beautiful either way. The satin finish is very cool though and different.

When I was at the dealer this past Friday getting my oil changed the techs and service reps were marveling over the satin finish. Not only did they love it but they couldn't believe it was a wrap. They all stated it was the best job they had ever seen and they couldn't even tell it was a wrap unless I told them. They said the car look like it had been painted with a mat orange finish.
Just curious if you know who did the wrap?
Old 12-05-2016, 11:29 PM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Satin. There was a GT3RS at VIR in Lava Orange. The owner had it wrapped in matte clear. It was so sexy.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:23 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Just curious if you know who did the wrap?
Auto Armour.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:45 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Is it safe to say that lighter colors can look good in satin/stealth, but that dark ones and black don't?. I've definitely seen "murdered out" satin black cars which just look like primer.. just not beautiful. But satin white is simply amazing, especially with shiny black wheels for example
Old 12-06-2016, 04:36 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
I had the stealth and Modesta on my Rhodium GT3. Impossible to get the rubber marks off the car. You can't see them from a distance, but they are noticeable up close. I tried everything to get them off. When I had JC at Detailed Designs look at them with his scope, he confirmed they were abrasions. I love the look, but would never do it on a car that will be tracked heavily. My regular Xpel showed the marks much less after heavy track use. Might not be an issue on a darker color.
Just as a heads up, your GT3 did not get Modesta. We used a different product on your GT3 back then. But as you noted, the marks were the spots where the film took impacts not stains.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Tony007
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Historically I'm a shine guy too but I bet in person the Stealth film really looks badass.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:08 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 80 Posts

Can't tell which is which...
Old 12-06-2016, 09:56 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

LO looks great with a Satin finish. Matter of fact, I only like LO with that finish

Quick Reply: GT3RS - Satin or Shiny?? - Paint Protection Film