Sponsored by:

OT: AMG GT R

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:31 AM
Kaizu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw
No one lap wonder here. Check it out on several tracks.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/hockenheim-short
Yeah it's fast! Only issue with that great Hockenheim time is it is driven with the special edition Cup2's that cost 3950 EUR a set...
Old 04-25-2017, 02:37 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaizu
Yeah it's fast! Only issue with that great Hockenheim time is it is driven with the special edition Cup2's that cost 3950 EUR a set...
And probably last about four sessions...
Old 04-25-2017, 10:23 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
This BMW forum mentions Supertest using MAHA:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1036947
Yes they use MAHA there.

Speaking on Hockenheim vs Ring times, I did a rough comparison with same pilot:

Pilot: Horst von Saurma
997 GT2 RS vs 997 GT2:
- Hockenheim 1.4 sec slower and Ring 9 sec slower

So yeah, something like bit less 10 sec not a bad guess for 1.0 sec slower time on Hockenheim.

That would make the car perform around 7:20 at the Ring with normal Cup2's, which is same as the 991 GT3 RS factory claim (yet the factory claim is always bit difficult to reach by journalists)

All in all in terms of performance AMG GT R and 991 GT3 RS seem to similar in terms of lap times, for example on another magazine test on Nurburgring GP track GT R was 0.1 sec slower (around 1.35 laps) than GT3 RS, though unclear which tires the GT R had.

And is it silly to calculate and estimate street car times? Yes it is, but always nice to understand more in detail about the performance of the cars, single record laps don't tell full picture.
Thanks guys. I asked about the dyno because of the extra horsepower AND because running a quick pull may not show the degradation that heat would play in reducing the power over multiple sessions.

The theme of being a one-lap wonder, whether it's tires, engine tuning, brake cooling, or whatever is a real question on a lot of cars. Porsche seems to have those things in mind with most cars (maybe all?) they build, but there aren't any manufacturers that I can name that have that philosophy.

When comparing some new cars that are competitors to Porsches it's tough to know whether the other manufacturers aren't providing that same durability or they're venturing into uncharted territory (for them in street cars). Tough to know which until you or someone you trust gets some time in one. Obviously there are always upgrades one can make but the question is how extensive are they, how much do they cost, and what, if anything, does it do to the actual performance of the stock car.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:54 AM
MegaLoL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drove it and ordered it. Delivery in August

This car is SENSATIONAL. And I was very gently cause the car was still in breaking. Can't imagine what will be at the limits. I have few qucik and purist cars in garage and drove a quite a few of exotics and sport cars and I don't remember what provided me soo much driving pleasure.

I was pretty much decided to get new GT3 but thankfully Porsche with their price policy and general policy made it me a benz Otherwise i would be probably disappointed having GT3 instead this AMG.

Name:  18253845_1528327273858373_1268586086_n_zpsgzvqviru.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  74.1 KB

Name:  18296941_1528327887191645_1638414027_o_zpsu9aunwmv.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  75.5 KB

Last edited by MegaLoL; 05-02-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:20 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I'm really trying to get one!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:59 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'm really trying to get one!
The car or a dealership.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:26 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default PORSCHE 991 GT3RS is STILL KING

While there is a BMW M4 GTS and this highly touted AMG GT R, Top Gear analyst Chris Harris still votes the PORSCHE 991 GT3RS as the "KING" of the track.

LINK:
https://www.topgear.com/videos/chris...-vs-bmw-m4-gts

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 05-17-2017, 07:33 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Nope. Tires will be OE.

http://www.michelin.com/eng/media-ro...cedes-AMG-GT-R
Old 05-17-2017, 07:49 PM
Kaizu
Instructor

MegaLoL, Congratulations on the order! You must be one of the first ones here having driven it! Amazing delivery date if you just ordered it. I've been trying to get the car from different countries and different dealers since January here in Europe and best I could was for Q1/2018, decided to skip for now and get GT3 instead.

Originally Posted by Outlaw
I disagree, it's bit complicated but according to the man himself Christian G. who drove the record lap:

- Yes the GT R OEM tires are Michelin Cup 2's

- However, there is also a special Cup 2 tire set available from Mercedes costing 3950 EUR (at least according to his article) that is 10mm wider, stiffer and with more narrow working temperature range (hence the tire warmers used for the record lap) that made the car mega fast posting 7.11 at the Ring and 1.06 at Hockenheim. He drove the Hockenheim also with OEM Cup 2's and difference was 1 second so not huge difference and still fast.

- Looks similar situation as in Huracan Performante, record lap with special Trofeo R's but car comes with Corsa's and you cannot spec the Trofeo R's from the catalogue (but I assume you can buy them from the dealer, same as with Mercedes' special Cup 2's). I'm afraid this has something do with new tire regulations or something.

- Hope you can prove me wrong, those facts are from the sport auto article by Christian G. The true performance of these cars will be shown quickly with some lap timers in next months
Old 05-18-2017, 08:17 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts

I've heard a number of people in various threads/forums mention the GT R is relatively easy to get. That hasn't been my experience.

If anyone had a line on an allocation please shoot me a PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by switchface
I've heard a number of people in various threads/forums mention the GT R is relatively easy to get. That hasn't been my experience.

From what I understand, it won't hit the states until next summer, or Summer 2018.

Not even sure MB dealers know for certain the number allocations they will receive, although Beverly Hills Mercedes, from what I told, received quite a few. Whatever that means.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:12 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Found these on the internet someplace.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:14 PM
jpohill
Advanced

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
From what I understand, it won't hit the states until next summer, or Summer 2018.

Not even sure MB dealers know for certain the number allocations they will receive, although Beverly Hills Mercedes, from what I told, received quite a few. Whatever that means.
Cars are currently sitting in the 2 US VPC's
Typical AMG games. There are approx 195 cars ready to be delivered.
Somewhere 350ish will be delivered this year.
I'm frankly running out of patience waiting
Old 05-18-2017, 11:59 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by switchface

Interesting. - Mercedes now does house calls. My Wife has an ML350 and they came to our house for her to try the new one. She ended up leasing the new model and I inquired about the GTR just for "shxts and giggles".The SA told me they got (2) allocations and they were still open and offered me one. I turned it down because really do not have an interest. Just not a big fan of Mercedes styling. I was shocked by the offer and also surprised this pretty big Dealer only had (2) allocations. This was a couple months ago.

I think those that want will get just may take a little time for them to ramp up Production. Mercedes will satisfy demand. They want to sell these
Old 05-19-2017, 01:14 AM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Interesting. - Mercedes now does house calls. My Wife has an ML350 and they came to our house for her to try the new one. She ended up leasing the new model and I inquired about the GTR just for "shxts and giggles".The SA told me they got (2) allocations and they were still open and offered me one. I turned it down because really do not have an interest. Just not a big fan of Mercedes styling. I was shocked by the offer and also surprised this pretty big Dealer only had (2) allocations. This was a couple months ago.

I think those that want will get just may take a little time for them to ramp up Production. Mercedes will satisfy demand. They want to sell these
The service adviser offered you an allocation at your house ??

Quick Reply: OT: AMG GT R